CTC and the DfT design guidance consultation

Ian Jackson

Guest
The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.

The CTC's response is here
http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
(sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).

I've on occasion been quite critical of the CTC but this seem to be an
example of a very good and useful piece of work. What can we best do
to try to get the DfT to accept as many of the CTC's representations
as possible ?

--
Ian Jackson personal email: <[email protected]>
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/

On Dec 17, 2:29 pm, Ian Jackson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
> important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.
>
> The CTC's response is here
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
> (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).
>
> I've on occasion been quite critical of the CTC but this seem to be an
> example of a very good and useful piece of work. What can we best do
> to try to get the DfT to accept as many of the CTC's representations
> as possible ?

The DfT will probably include all reasonable suggestions in a nice
report/guide which will then be ignored by most local authorities
because it's only 'guidance'.
Even though Wrexham county council has a 'cycling strategy' which
gives reasonably good design guidance it seems to have been largely
ignored.

peter

naked_draughtsman <[email protected]> wrote:

> The DfT will probably include all reasonable suggestions in a nice
> report/guide which will then be ignored by most local authorities
> because it's only 'guidance'.
> Even though Wrexham county council has a 'cycling strategy' which
> gives reasonably good design guidance it seems to have been largely
> ignored.

If someone is injured, partly as a result of a facility that has been
designed poorly, could such guidance be used to claim compensation and
consequently to encourage the council to improve the design of its
facility?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ian Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

> The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
> important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.
>
> The CTC's response is here
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
> (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).
>
> I've on occasion been quite critical of the CTC but this seem to be an
> example of a very good and useful piece of work. What can we best do
> to try to get the DfT to accept as many of the CTC's representations
> as possible ?

Once the CTC has decided on its response, I might suggest that it would
be helpful for as many cyclists as possible to write to their MPs, much
as they did about the Highway Code.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i9a4tq.1kf4ev81147e3fN%[email protected]...
> Ian Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
>> important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.
>>
>> The CTC's response is here
>> http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
>> (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).
>>
>> I've on occasion been quite critical of the CTC but this seem to be an
>> example of a very good and useful piece of work. What can we best do
>> to try to get the DfT to accept as many of the CTC's representations
>> as possible ?

> Once the CTC has decided on its response, I might suggest that it would
> be helpful for as many cyclists as possible to write to their MPs, much
> as they did about the Highway Code.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke

Excellent idea, count me in.

"burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1i9a4tq.1kf4ev81147e3fN%[email protected]...
>> Ian Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
>>> important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.
>>>
>>> The CTC's response is here
>>> http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
>>> (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).
>>>
>>> I've on occasion been quite critical of the CTC but this seem to be an
>>> example of a very good and useful piece of work. What can we best do
>>> to try to get the DfT to accept as many of the CTC's representations
>>> as possible ?

>> Once the CTC has decided on its response, I might suggest that it would
>> be helpful for as many cyclists as possible to write to their MPs, much
>> as they did about the Highway Code.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Luke

> Excellent idea, count me in.

And please remember to remind us.

In article <[email protected]>, Adrian Godwin
[email protected] says...
> Most councils would probably react by
> closing the facility rather than fixing it, but sometimes that
> would be a good thing.

More than sometimes, I think. :)

Graham Harrison <[email protected]> wrote:

> "burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:1i9a4tq.1kf4ev81147e3fN%[email protected]...

> >> Once the CTC has decided on its response, I might suggest that it would
> >> be helpful for as many cyclists as possible to write to their MPs, much
> >> as they did about the Highway Code.

> > Excellent idea, count me in.

> And please remember to remind us.

I'm not in the CTC, largely because I thought they were rather ****
about the Highway Code, so I'm not very likely to find out about their
final response in a hurry. I'm beginning to reconsider my stance on
membership though.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"Ian Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:tbD*[email protected]...
> The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
> important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.
>
> The CTC's response is here
> http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
> (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).

Interesting document which I'll be studying more closely. Wasn't sure
whether to laugh or cry at the sentence towards the end of 1.4 saying "Given
the difficulties of sourcing good photographs of correctly designed
infrastructure...." Maybe offer local authorities a cash prize for building
one of them so that I can wander along and take a snap?

On Dec 19, 6:33 pm, "Just Visiting" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ian Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:tbD*[email protected]...
>
> > The latest CTC e-newsletter has a link to their response to an
> > important consultation on government guidance for design for cycling.

> > The CTC's response is here
> > http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/0712_RG_CID(draft)_con.doc
> > (sadly a Word file with the edits left visible in the change tracking).

> Interesting document which I'll be studying more closely. Wasn't sure
> whether to laugh or cry at the sentence towards the end of 1.4 saying "Given
> the difficulties of sourcing good photographs of correctly designed
> infrastructure...." Maybe offer local authorities a cash prize for building
> one of them so that I can wander along and take a snap?

Well there's quite a few around showing how NOT to do it. 50 of them
bound into a book for £5 I noticed the other day...

peter