CTC/LCC Membership.

Daniel Wilcox

Guest
My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining the
LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as to the
benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.

Thanks.

Daniel.

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:50:46 +0000, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>IMO, they are complimentary organisations.
>
>Does that mean they send you an email praising your perspicacity when you join ;-)

<G>
--
Chris French, Leeds

Steve McGinty wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:07:15 +0000, Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
> >the LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as
> >to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Daniel.
>
> How much does either cost?
>
> (significant for currrent debate elswhere on BC membership - £80)

BC membership is _not_ £80. There are three adult levels, £11.50, £32 and £50.

Unless you wish to have Personal Accident Insurance, the £32 Silver level is probably best as it has
3rd party cover, free legal aid etc.

CTC equivalent adult membership is £28.50 with considerable reductions for Family, U26 etc.

Quoting £80 is a very unfair comparison, particularly as you have also added in the optional £30 for
a racing licence for road and track events.

My own choice is for CTC membership [1] as they are the only real national campaign organisation
looking after *all* cyclists rights. If I lived in London I might join the LCC, but it would be in
addition to the CTC.

[1] I pay £46 for our family of six.

John B

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:50:46 +0000, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

>IMO, they are complimentary organisations.

Does that mean they send you an email praising your perspicacity when you join ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In message <[email protected]>, Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> writes
>My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
>the LCC might be a better idea?

It might, it depends if you are interested in supporting or being involved in Cycle campaigning in
London, or other benefits like the discounts in some shops etc.

Your call.

>Are they affiliated in anyway?

Dunno.

> Any information would be handy as to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.

LCC website:

<http://www.lcc.org.uk/>

When I lived in London I was a member of both. I joined the LCC not so much for the benefits to me
but because I was interested in supporting and being involved in the Cycle Campaigning scene in
London. The only personal direct benefits to me would have been the 3rd party insurance and the
discounts.

I remained a CTC member because I like to support the organisation, I like the magazine- the only
really good coverage of the touring scene etc. The benefits such as 3rd party insurance, and I have
on occasion found the touring information department useful
--
Chris French, Leeds

> My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
> the LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as
> to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.

I'm a member of LCC and find it of no value directly (though the discount on accessories will pay
for my membership this year). That being said, I joined to support cycling in London not for a
particular benefit to me. If you want to get involved the LCC has local area groups in most areas. I
highly recommend joining your local one and attending some meetings.

Happy cycling

"Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
> the LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as
> to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.

I was wondering about Reclaim the Streets ... ?

The only way to get space on the roads, IMO, is to join a group who go out occasionally for a mass
approach in a fun way. I have been out with the London FNS <www.citiskate.com/fns.htm> and others
for this fun. It's no good being by yourself on the roads, with a few others a small pack means you
can enjoy the roads (motorists have to back off a bit).

I lived in Paris and always enjoyed the Wednesday and Friday night skates. The HUGE numbers allowed
people to make their point. We are talking 10,000+ skaters in the Summer.

Reclaim the Streets sounds like a load of hippies making trouble, and all I want is a load of people
enjoying themselves, but the photos I have seen show a good cross-section of Londoners. I cannot
make the last Friday this month, but am interested in taking the day off for www.cclondon.com ....
(Congestion Charge in 29 days).

Cheers! Stephen www.scuonline.org/forum/ scottish cyclists talkin

"Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
> the LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as
> to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.

Plenty of people are members of both the CTC and their local campaign group. The CTC is the
largest national cycling group, and are recognised as such by national bodies, and they have many
local cycling and campaigning groups, and publish lots of useful advice, as well as discounts,
free 3rd party insurance, absolutely superb legal department (£6,000 for me!) touring advice,
technical advice, local rides, in short, a breadth of knowledge and activities that my local
campaign group (which I also belong to) can't and don't even attempt to match, but I've no idea
what the LCC get up to.

cheers Rich

In message <[email protected]>, Steve McGinty
<stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> writes
>On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:07:15 +0000, Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>My current CTC membership has lapsed, I was wondering as I live in London whether or not joining
>>the LCC might be a better idea? Are they affiliated in anyway? Any information would be handy as
>>to the benefits lack of benefits of one over the other.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Daniel.
>
>How much does either cost?

Check the websites.

CTC is: http://www.ctc.org.uk/>

Basic adult ctc membership is GBP28.50, but there is an introductory membership and various
concessions that are cheaper.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:54:55 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The only way to get space on the roads, IMO, is to join a group who go out occasionally for a mass
>approach in a fun way.

Around here the cagers have a Critical Mass every day :-/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.