CTC login

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Hemmings

Hi, I've just been looking at the CTC's new web site and I've been trying to login to the members
area. It asks for your membership no. and password. Now I have my Membership No. but as for the
password I've never entered one before and there seems to be no way for you to set one up, or am I
being stupid. John

In news:[email protected], John Hemmings
<[email protected]> typed:

Now I have my Membership No. but as for the password
> I've never entered one before and there seems to be no way for you to set one up, or am I
> being stupid.

Perhaps these are given out over the telephone (common security procedure, as passwords sent over
e-mail are often delivered via insecure comms circuits -unless your telephone is being tapped!)

The rest of the site (although I have only given it a cursory look so far) appears to be a great
improvement on the previous ones. Well done to the CTC content providers, but boo and hiss to the
previous site maintainers for their petulance in trying to damage a customers brand with that silly
message (containing their *own* company name, so we all now now what muppets they are!) when they
lost the CTC contract.

Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms
room 2] wrote:
> In news:[email protected], John Hemmings
> <[email protected]> typed:
>
> Now I have my Membership No. but as for the password
>> I've never entered one before and there seems to be no way for you to set one up, or am I being
>> stupid.
>
> Perhaps these are given out over the telephone (common security procedure, as passwords sent over
> e-mail are often delivered via insecure comms circuits -unless your telephone is being tapped!)
>
> The rest of the site (although I have only given it a cursory look so far) appears to be a great
> improvement on the previous ones. Well done to the CTC content providers, but boo and hiss to the
> previous site maintainers for their petulance in trying to damage a customers brand with that
> silly message (containing their *own* company name, so we all now now what muppets they are!) when
> they lost the CTC contract.
>
> Alex
>
>
>
After a few attempts, I discovered that it is the same as the old site, i.e. membership number =
username (without the letter), and surname = password.

Mind you, when you get in, there isn't much of the old site there yet.

HTH
--
Jon

Thanks, maybe it should be made a bit clearer on their site!

John

"Jon Rogers" <jon.rogers***REMOVE_THIS***@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:slrnb8tm8i.1a2.jon.rogers***REMOVE_THIS***@viking.cathcart...
> In article <[email protected]>, Mr R@t (2.3
zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:
> > In news:[email protected], John Hemmings
> > <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > Now I have my Membership No. but as for the password
> >> I've never entered one before and there seems to be no way for you to set one up, or am I being
> >> stupid.
> >
> > Perhaps these are given out over the telephone (common security
procedure,
> > as passwords sent over e-mail are often delivered via insecure comms circuits -unless your
> > telephone is being tapped!)
> >
> > The rest of the site (although I have only given it a cursory look so
far)
> > appears to be a great improvement on the previous ones. Well done to the
CTC
> > content providers, but boo and hiss to the previous site maintainers for their petulance in
> > trying to damage a customers brand with that silly message (containing their *own* company name,
> > so we all now now what
muppets
> > they are!) when they lost the CTC contract.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >
> >
> After a few attempts, I discovered that it is the same as the old site,
i.e.
> membership number = username (without the letter), and surname = password.
>
> Mind you, when you get in, there isn't much of the old site there yet.
>
>
> HTH
> --
> Jon

> After a few attempts, I discovered that it is the same as the old site,
i.e.
> membership number = username (without the letter), and surname = password.
>
> Mind you, when you get in, there isn't much of the old site there yet.
>

Thanks for that - you are right, and I can now log in. Pity that CTC couldn't respond to my e-mail
about this though :-((

--

Greetings from The Slapster in Cornwall, UK

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings. They did it by killing all those who
opposed them.

http://www.slapster.org.uk

The Surname is case sensitive so I had to try various options before hitting the jackpot.

CTC seem to think their route information is so stunningly excellent that it must be preserved for
members only.

T

"Robert Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I entered my membership number (without letter) and entered my surname in the password blank and
> got a message that I could not log in and to check my username and password. Nowhere in the login
> form was the word username mentioned. What username? The one I use for Email? Is this one of those
> Alice in Wonderland things where a word means exactly what I intend it to mean, nothing more and
> nothing less?
>
> More importantly, why is there any need for a login at all? What information could the CTC have
> that must be kept secure from all but members?
>
> They did this once before some years ago and it was just as much a cockup as it is this time.
> Seems like it's one of those features beloved of website designers who simply must include them
> whether they are useful or not. I recently got a message that my Flash reader (or card or whatever
> it is) was out of date and I needed to download the up-to-date one by clicking on a button. I
> wasn't allowed to go further until I did so. This was a website which is entirely text, no need or
> (I think) even opportunity for Flash (whatever it is). If a website must have Flash then there
> should always be the button to click to let me skip the Flash part. That Flash business has always
> seemed to me to be mainly something that made loading slower.
>
> Robert Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.