CTC lying, or incompetent?

Mark

Guest
The CTC has been accused of being dishonest, incompetent and of
deliberately failing to communicate it's concerns over the Highway Code
changes in order to create the impression of a crisis to build up it's
membership.

"it [the CTC] did not need a big letter-writing campaign or to
organise its membership to write to MPs to get that changed. Had it
simply requested a meeting with the Minister and a further meeting
with officials to make its concerns clear, we could have dealt with
the matter, but it chose not to, presumably for its own purposes,
because it is a membership-driven organisation that wants to build up
its membership base."

I'd be interested in seeing the CTC's minutes of the meetings they had with
the DfT on the issue. It seems clear that there was either a
misunderstanding of what the problem with the wording was, or that the CTC
changed it's view late in the day and decided to go for a greater change
than they'd previously sought. At least they did better than the all-party
cycling group who seem to have ok'd the original wording.

**************
I've just pasted the relevent bits. Link to full text at the bottom
**************

Mr. Carmichael:
I should commend the Minister for having met, eventually, the CTC—the
UK’s national cyclists organisation—and taken its concerns on board. My
impression of it as an organisation is that it is responsible and prepared
to engage, and I hope that the Minister would concur with that. However,
further to the point made about the process, it is unfortunate that it took
so long to get around the table with the CTC. There is a residual feeling
in that organisation and among many of its members that the effort required
to get their point across should have been unnecessary.

I hope that when we come to deal with this situation in the future, the
Minister, his successor or successors will be mindful of the fact that such
organisations have a good understanding of what they are talking
about—possibly even better than some of those who are advising him or
her—and that, as is evidenced by the fact that the Government’s position
has changed on rules 61 and 63, they have a contribution to make.

This has been a long, drawn-out process. It should not have necessitated
last-minutes changes. Part of the concern was that the wording before the
Committee would force cyclists to use cycle facilities that are sometimes
inadequate, perhaps because they have not been maintained or were not
appropriately installed in the first place. That needs to be addressed
perhaps well beyond the scope of the Highway Code.

Dr: Ladyman:
I would like to make a general point about the CTC in response to
what the hon. Member for Orkney and Shetland said. We went out of our way
to consult with it in tabling the version in front of us today. We listened
to all its comments and engaged with it, and my officials met its
representatives on many occasions to discuss this version. I also met the
chair of the all-party group who gave me advice. We talked about a form of
wording that she believed would be acceptable to everyone, and that was the
version that we tabled. It was a surprise when the CTC came back and said
that it was unacceptable.

My advice to the CTC is that it did not need a big letter-writing campaign
or to organise its membership to write to MPs to get that changed. Had it
simply requested a meeting with the Minister and a further meeting with
officials to make its concerns clear, we could have dealt with the matter,
but it chose not to, presumably for its own purposes, because it is a
membership-driven organisation that wants to build up its membership base.
It does so by being in constant touch with its members, and exciting them
about the great woes that the Government are about to inflict on them with
an end to cycling as we know it. It wound up its members and told them to
write to their MPs. That is why we had these big campaigns, but it did not
need to do that to engage with us. It would engage better and get better
results if it showed clearer leadership, set clearer targets for itself in
each version of the discussions, and approached Ministers and Members of
Parliament in advance of those big campaigns.

If it is not being listened to, it should engage in a big campaign, but if
it is getting its way, it should continue with that engagement because it
and the Government would both get more out of it, and hon. Members would
not spend their lives writing letters to Ministers who then have to write
back repeating the same point over and again, ad nauseam, thousands of
times.

Mr. Carmichael:
I want to read an e-mail that I received this morning from the CTC.
It states that the history leading to the necessity for the changes to
rules 61 and 63

“apparently happened because they”—

officials in the Minister’s Department—

“had refused to meet CTC the national cyclists’ organisation (who had led
on this issue with the full support of other cycling organisations).
Instead they hid behind spurious excuses relating to parliamentary protocol
as a reason for not doing so. Whether this was out of spite for the sheer
volume of the consultation response, or an unwillingness to admit they had
got it wrong, is unclear.”

The Minister said that the CTC should have asked for meetings, but the CTC
says that it sought meetings, which were refused.

Dr. Ladyman:
I have been advised that that is not true. My officials have had
regular meetings with the CTC; we have not denied it meetings. Even if what
the hon. Gentleman said was true—it is not—he knows well enough that the
correct thing for the CTC to do would be to approach a Member of the House,
who would request a meeting and discussion with the Minister. That way, the
CTC could bypass officials and go straight to a Minister. I shall write to
the new Prime Minister to tell him not to include me in the Government if
any Member can say that I have refused a meeting with a Member of the House
to discuss a matter of importance. I always hold meetings with Members who
request them, and I will do so for as long as I am in the Government. If
the CTC was in the position it says it is in—it is not—it could have gone
to any member of the all-party cycling group, or any other Member of the
House, and asked for a meeting with the Minister. That way, they would have
had a meeting with me and the Member concerned to sort the matter out.

The CTC has regular meetings, but it does not have a clear target or idea
of what it wants to achieve. As soon as it achieves something, it wants to
go one step further. The organisation has a disparate membership and a
strategy that does not allow it to focus on what it wants to achieve. It
never knows when it has benefited, or when to call it a day and wait for
the next version of the code—it constantly wants to go on and on and on.
That is not the way to lobby and it is not the way in which to achieve the
best outcome for cyclists.

I promise the hon. Gentleman that I shall ensure that my officials and the
Department for Transport will learn the lessons of the consultation, and
that we will try to do better when coming up with the next version of the
code. In return for that, I expect the CTC and other organisations to learn
their own lessons about the way in which to campaign and represent the
views of cyclists, for the benefit of their members and the Government.

[1] The full text available here (the link takes you to the second page,
though there is also interesting and relevent stuff on the other two
pages).

<www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmstand/output/deleg/dg030706
27-02.htm>

Mark wrote:
> The CTC has been accused of being dishonest, incompetent and of
> deliberately failing to communicate it's concerns over the Highway Code
> changes in order to create the impression of a crisis to build up it's
> membership.

<snip>

Since the first attempt at getting a change was manifestly ignored,
followed up by assurances that it hadn't been and was accounted for in
the new wording, before a sudden need to change it again, that smells to
me like a lot of Bollox (TM).

The man's a politician well up the ladder so I'm immedaitely inclined
not to believe him. My (Labour) MP was not impressed with his answers
either.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Dr. Ladyman:
> I have been advised that that is not true. My officials have had
> regular meetings with the CTC; we have not denied it meetings. Even if what
> the hon. Gentleman said was true-it is not-he knows well enough that the
> correct thing for the CTC to do would be to approach a Member of the House,
> who would request a meeting and discussion with the Minister. That way, the
> CTC could bypass officials and go straight to a Minister. I shall write to

Or he could have said:'' yeah well this ****-up was nothing to do with
me, in fact is his fault, he's the one, and them , not me, i was never
told , in fact nobody was, etc ad infinitum.

TerryJ

On 28 Jun 2007 11:36:12 GMT, Mark wrote that Ladymnan said:

[of the CTC]
> It wound up its members and told them to write to their MPs. That
> is why we had these big campaigns, but it did not need to do that
> to engage with us.

Which is grade-A bollocks. It was the DfT that invited people to
write about the HC initially - they called it a consultation (but were
apparently caught out when it gave the wrong answer).

The second pass, the CTC was saying don't write to your MP, so far as
anyone could see them doing anything.

> hon. Members would not spend their lives writing letters to
> Ministers who then have to write back repeating the same point over
> and again, ad nauseam, thousands of times.

I am immensely pleased that he was personally irritated by the need to
try and justify the incompetence of his department. It's a shame he
apparently didn't understand the objections.

It is, of course, shocking that members of the general public should
ask MPs to represent their interests in the parliamentary system
rather than leave it to very important people like Dr Ladyman. I'm
sure Dr Ladyman knows much better than me what my interests are, and
in future I'm certain to bow to his superior judgement.

One can only hope that Ms Kelly has been paying attention.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Dr Ladyman:
> My advice to the CTC is that it did not need a big letter-writing campaign
> or to organise its membership to write to MPs to get that changed. Had it
> simply requested a meeting with the Minister and a further meeting with
> officials to make its concerns clear, we could have dealt with the matter,
> but it chose not to, presumably for its own purposes, because it is a
> membership-driven organisation that wants to build up its membership base.
> It does so by being in constant touch with its members, and exciting them
> about the great woes that the Government are about to inflict on them with
> an end to cycling as we know it. It wound up its members and told them to
> write to their MPs.

I would find that more believable if we'd heard a peep out of the CTC
during the timeframe in question, but a look back at the threads here
will reveal that they they were keeping strangely quiet about the whole
thing and most of the /visible/ action was taken by other individuals
and groups (not least the Cambridge Cycling Campaign).

I'm happy to believe that the CTC's "behind the scenes" efforts
contributed to the eventual success with rules 61/63, but I saw no
evidence of any of the behaviour Ladyman claims.

-dan

TerryJ wrote:

> Or he could have said:'' yeah well this ****-up was nothing to do with
> me, in fact is his fault, he's the one, and them , not me, i was never
> told , in fact nobody was, etc ad infinitum.

"A big cyclists' organisation did it, and ran away!"

Pete.
--

On Jun 28, 1:40 pm, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dr Ladyman:
>
> > My advice to the CTC is that it did not need a big letter-writing campaign
> > or to organise its membership to write to MPs to get that changed. Had it
> > simply requested a meeting with the Minister and a further meeting with
> > officials to make its concerns clear, we could have dealt with the matter,
> > but it chose not to, presumably for its own purposes, because it is a
> > membership-driven organisation that wants to build up its membership base.
> > It does so by being in constant touch with its members, and exciting them
> > about the great woes that the Government are about to inflict on them with
> > an end to cycling as we know it. It wound up its members and told them to
> > write to their MPs.

> I would find that more believable if we'd heard a peep out of the CTC
> during the timeframe in question, but a look back at the threads here
> will reveal that they they were keeping strangely quiet about the whole
> thing and most of the /visible/ action was taken by other individuals
> and groups (not least the Cambridge Cycling Campaign).
>
> I'm happy to believe that the CTC's "behind the scenes" efforts
> contributed to the eventual success with rules 61/63, but I saw no
> evidence of any of the behaviour Ladyman claims.

There was a question put to the minister as to when the DoT had met
with the CTC. It was long before the HC came out - mid consultation or
earlier. Yet the DoT claimed they were having regular meetings with
all stakeholders including CTC over the issue.

So personally, I am prepared to accept that either the DoT are lying
through their teeth, or the language they are using, whilst
superficially appering to be like English, is in fact some other
language with a meaning and syntax directly opposite.

...d

In article <[email protected]>, Mark wrote:
>The CTC has been accused of being dishonest, incompetent and of
>deliberately failing to communicate it's concerns over the Highway Code
>changes in order to create the impression of a crisis to build up it's
>membership.

Given that we know Ladyman has been either totally clueless or lying
through his teeth about the changes, his attempts to blame someone
else for his looking so bad don't have much credibility.

> Given that we know Ladyman has been either totally clueless or lying
> through his teeth about the changes, his attempts to blame someone
> else for his looking so bad don't have much credibility.

and it seems he knows something about hlmets that nobody else does,
although he has so far kept the precise details all to himself.
Again, the opinion will have been created by someone else, probably a
22yr old trainee who read a leaflet by bhit and can be blamed if
necessary.
I would really like to see him reveal his sources, but he's already
run away.Are they allowed to do that?
TerryJ

in message <[email protected]>, Mark
('pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid')
wrote:

> The CTC has been accused of being dishonest, incompetent and of
> deliberately failing to communicate it's concerns over the Highway Code
> changes in order to create the impression of a crisis to build up it's
> membership.
>
> "it [the CTC] did not need a big letter-writing campaign or to
> organise its membership to write to MPs to get that changed. Had it
> simply requested a meeting with the Minister and a further meeting
> with officials to make its concerns clear, we could have dealt with
> the matter, but it chose not to, presumably for its own purposes,
> because it is a membership-driven organisation that wants to build up
> its membership base."
>
> I'd be interested in seeing the CTC's minutes of the meetings they had
> with the DfT on the issue.

There are two things possible here: the CTC is being dishonest, or a Labour
politician is being dishonest. On the balance of probabilities, which is
more likely?

Particularly given the fact...

> My advice to the CTC is that it did not need a big letter-writing
> campaign or to organise its membership to write to MPs to get that
> changed.

....that as we all know, the CTC asked its members /not/ to write, as it was
dealing with the matter.

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Robert Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:40:21 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I would find that more believable if we'd heard a peep out of the CTC
>during the timeframe in question

During the *quiet* period, and before the final amendments were made,
I was asked many times by the CTC for my views on the matter, and for
details of a specific example when the police instructed me and my
trainees to use a two-way shared use cycle lane on the opposite side
of the road and on a steep hill. A cycle path which I consider too
dangerous to use.

I have mentioned this here before, it is the shared use cycle path
through Greenwich Park.

I was also asked for details of a cycle lane which I use to
demonstrate the trainees the dangers of cycle paths. The path is
segregated from the main road by trees and a thick hedge. At an
entrance to a petrol filling station (pfs), traffic from both
directions on the main road have priority to cross the cycle path into
the pfs, and traffic from the pfs turning onto the main road in both
directions have priority over cyclists on the path. The problem is
that visibility from road onto cycle path, cycle path onto road, pfs
onto cycle path and cycle path into pfs is very severely restricted by
the hedge on one side and a wooden slat fence on the other side.

I have no doubt that the CTC used these or similar specific examples
to persuade ministers to amend the HC, and I am grateful to them and
acknowledge their efforts on our behalf.

However, I do think that Ladyman has a point, and that the CTC needs a
clear mission statement and a common set of goals.

I like Cycling England's "More people cycling, more often, more
safely". Finding a common set of goals may prove more difficult with
cyclists being such a diverse set.

On 28 Jun 2007 11:36:12 GMT,
Mark <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote:
> The CTC has been accused of being dishonest, incompetent and of
> deliberately failing to communicate it's concerns over the Highway Code
> changes in order to create the impression of a crisis to build up it's
> membership.

Thanks to some chaotic times at work just recently I didn't actually
manage to get around to cancelling my membership or changing my monthly
charitable donation to the cyclists defense fund.

But if TPTB think that the CTCs stance on this was in order to boost
membership then it's no wonder TPTB are completely out of touch with
reality.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://tinyurl.com/2h9zfd (link to first page).

> <www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmstand/output/deleg/dg030706
> 27-02.htm>

My impression of this is that the CTC saw the version last
year, and thought that it needed to be changed. It then
sought talks with the DfT and at the same time encouraged
its members to write to their MPs to support the CTC.

The government then said to the CTC that they were wrong
in the way they asked their members to write to MPs, and
said that they would talk to the CTC privately.

The CTC then responded to the March draft by trying to
talk to ministers, and to discourage members to write to
members MPs.

I think that the only mistake the CTC made was to keep its
communications with the government quiet from it members.

I recall reading in the above committee meeting that the
government acknowledged that the CTC knew what the CTC was
talking about with regards to cycling.

Martin.

hmmmmm.

Tricky one.

CTC lying

or

politician lying

hmmmmm, tricky.

On Jun 28, 8:18 pm, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:40:21 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]>
> wrote:

<snip attack on and defence of CTC>

> However, I do think that Ladyman has a point, and that the CTC needs a
> clear mission statement and a common set of goals.
>
> I like Cycling England's "More people cycling, more often, more
> safely". Finding a common set of goals may prove more difficult with
> cyclists being such a diverse set.

How about something like 'to make cycling enjoyable, safe and
welcoming for all.'

Hope that copper doesn't take the recent incident in the park as a
vindication of his position. One criticised me for not riding on that
path or wearing a helmut ages ago. Perhaps the same one.

best wishes
james

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:19:44 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 28, 8:18 pm, Tom Crispin
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:40:21 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

><snip attack on and defence of CTC>

I hadn't thought of it that way!

>> However, I do think that Ladyman has a point, and that the CTC needs a
>> clear mission statement and a common set of goals.
>>
>> I like Cycling England's "More people cycling, more often, more
>> safely". Finding a common set of goals may prove more difficult with
>> cyclists being such a diverse set.

>How about something like 'to make cycling enjoyable, safe and
>welcoming for all.'
>
>Hope that copper doesn't take the recent incident in the park as a
>vindication of his position. One criticised me for not riding on that
>path or wearing a helmut ages ago. Perhaps the same one.

In October 2001 a Royal Parks Constable physically asaulted me when I
tried to lock up my crashed and unridable bike in the park. He
claimed that it was a security risk and that I may have packed the
frame with explosive. He was unable to explain what I might have to
gain from blowing up the railings around the toilet block.

The Royal Parks Constabulary has since been disbanded.