CTC Membership

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike K Smith, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
    Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
    organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
    there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
    with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).

    So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    magazine gets here soon.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. John B

    John B Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:

    > I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
    > Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
    > organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
    > there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
    > with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).
    >
    > So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    > magazine gets here soon.

    Soon?
    I fear you may have to wait for the April/May issue.

    John B

  3. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Mike K Smith:
    > So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    > magazine gets here soon.

    One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
    been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
    turned out not to need them, all things considered.

    I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
    two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
    recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...

    --
    Mark, UK
    "Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:
    > I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
    > Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
    > organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
    > there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
    > with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).
    >
    > So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    > magazine gets here soon.
    >
    > Mike

    I think my membership has vanished.

    Looking at the CTC website and trying to avoid the crap, I find
    'membership' email address and phone number 08708730061.
    Anyone know who sits behind those contact details and whether
    they're sufficiently competent to be worth emailing/phoning?

    --
    Nick Kew

  5. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Response to Mike K Smith:
    >> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    >> magazine gets here soon.

    > One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
    > been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
    > turned out not to need them, all things considered.
    >
    > I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
    > two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
    > recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...
    >

    > --
    > Mark, UK
    > "Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"

    I still haven't got my new membership card from my renewal last October The
    one that was sent with the renewal letter was actually dated to cease in
    2004!

    When I renewed by telephone I asked that a properly dated card be sent.
    Nothing has happened since.

    But just having been mown down by a car a couple of weeks ago I am glad the
    my membership did not lapse
    ..
    I rang their legal help line on the day after the incident and today I have
    received a load of paperwork from my appointed solicitors. So important
    parts of the system work and I am extremely grateful for that. Excellent
    value -- and one of the reasons for my membership.

    BUT, oh dear me CTC, I can't help but feel that the organisation is creaking
    from old age and has strayed too far away from its members. The membership
    renewal fiasco has gone on for over a year and the cessation of the Camping
    Carnet card is a huge loss to many individuals like me.

    So, no, I am not a member of the local Doncaster group. My style and needs
    of cycling are geared towards my annual long distance cycle/camping tour and
    to help me maintain a reasonable level of fitness ( fighting the tendency
    for an ever increasing waistline. I enjoy cycling on my own and that seems
    to preclude me from the mainstream of cyclists.
    At 68 that doesn't really worry me. On my long tours I meet up with lots of
    people daily and enjoy their company perhaps for a few hours or at best a
    couple of days -- but I feel when appraising the CTC that I am a lone voice
    in the wilderness.

    I keep a sharp eye on all sorts of cycling matters, especially those that
    pertain to my style of biking but the CTC seems to be too remote and tied up
    within its own machinations to be an active source of information and help.

    I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
    boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case and
    there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab website.

    Sorry for the moan about CTC when it is actively assisting me in my injury
    claim --- but that is one of the things I pay for -- as a pensioner, on
    limited means, I have to look very carefully at "value for money" in many
    areas to be able to afford my long tours in the summer. There are several
    other areas in need of a radical "emptying of the bath water" which leave
    lots of members dissatisfied.

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:

    > Looking at the CTC website and trying to avoid the crap, I find
    > 'membership' email address and phone number 08708730061.
    > Anyone know who sits behind those contact details and whether
    > they're sufficiently competent to be worth emailing/phoning?

    Whatever their names are their pic is in the latest Cycle where there's
    a bit suggesting they're making up for lost ground and have won an award
    or something. So whether that means they're any good is hard to say,
    but they're almost certainly no worse than the last lot.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:f%[email protected]

    > I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
    > boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case
    > and there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab
    > website.

    I think there are far too many message boards out there, and the CTC doesn't
    really need to provide one. It may be that people agree with me, which is
    why nobody bothers posting to them.

    cheers,
    clive

  8. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:29:14 +0000, Mike K Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
    >Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
    >organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
    >there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
    >with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).

    I've had the opposite experience.

    I was sent a new membership card, even though my bank account wasn't
    debited for the membership fee, and only learned that I wasn't a
    member last week when I enquired about the weekly emailed newsletter.

    CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
    price of 12 months.
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
    > boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case and
    > there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab website.

    But this is Usenet and thus has a worthwhile front end through
    newsreaders. Web forums don't.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  10. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Clive George wrote on Friday 10 February 2006 16:19:

    > I think there are far too many message boards out there, and the CTC
    > doesn't really need to provide one. It may be that people agree with
    > me, which is why nobody bothers posting to them.

    IMHO message boards are a work of Stan - just another way of harvesting
    email addresses and peddling stuff that no-one wants.
    --
    Regards
    Alex

  11. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:

    > CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
    > price of 12 months.
    > --

    Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
    hasn't materialised.

  12. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Mark McNeill wrote:
    > Response to Mike K Smith:
    >> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    >> magazine gets here soon.

    > One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
    > been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
    > turned out not to need them, all things considered.
    >
    > I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
    > two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
    > recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...

    So you lost out on the offer ?

  13. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to MSeries:
    > > I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
    > > two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
    > > recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...
    > >

    > So you lost out on the offer ?

    That's just what I was wondering; but from what you've said in your
    other post, I'm not missing much. ;-)

    Ah, well, I suppose it means another email exchange. <sigh>

    --
    Mark, UK
    "Nothing sets a person up more than having something turn out just the

  14. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:59:40 +0000, MSeries <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Tom Crispin wrote:
    >

    >> CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
    >> price of 12 months.
    >> --

    >Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
    >hasn't materialised.

    I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

  15. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Tom Crispin:
    > >> CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
    > >> price of 12 months.
    > >> --

    > >Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
    > >hasn't materialised.

    > I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

    Me too. Hmmm...

    --
    Mark, UK
    "The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests

  16. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Tom Crispin <[email protected]> writes:

    >I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

    On the other hand, my membership had lapsed because I didn't get around to
    sending the form back the year before, and I gratefully accepted the 15
    months offer :)

    Roos

  17. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Roos Eisma wrote:
    > Tom Crispin <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

    > On the other hand, my membership had lapsed because I didn't get around to
    > sending the form back the year before, and I gratefully accepted the 15
    > months offer :)
    >
    > Roos

    Sigh, if only they'd do what they said they are going to do and send me
    the offer letter. It's comedy isn't it ?

  18. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:53:42 -0000, Mark McNeill
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Response to Tom Crispin:
    >> >
    >> >Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
    >> >hasn't materialised.

    >> I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.
    >>

    >Me too. Hmmm...

    The letter does have a box to tick if you've already renewed.

    I won't take them up on their offer. I expect CTC have already
    suffered enough with their membership contractor.
    --
    Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
    are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
    to ride a stationary bicycle. -
    Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

  19. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Tom Crispin:
    > The letter does have a box to tick if you've already renewed.

    You right, of course, and it shows how much attention I was paying!
    Also s/Chris Juden/Kevin Mayne/ in my earlier post: brainfart on my
    part.

    --
    Mark, UK
    "If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything."

  20. Mike K Smith wrote:
    > I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them
    > on Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the
    > previous organisation had completely messed up. The tone was
    > apologetic, but there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a
    > year's membership with nothing to show for it (no membership cards
    > and no magazine).
    >
    > So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
    > magazine gets here soon.
    >
    > Mike

    My new card arrived today, unprompted, in time for the end of this month.
    --

    Martin Bulmer