CTC Membership

Mike K Smith

Guest
I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).

So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
magazine gets here soon.

Mike

Mike K Smith wrote:

> I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
> Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
> organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
> there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
> with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).
>
> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
> magazine gets here soon.

Soon?
I fear you may have to wait for the April/May issue.

John B

Response to Mike K Smith:
> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
> magazine gets here soon.

One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
turned out not to need them, all things considered.

I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...

--
Mark, UK
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"

Mike K Smith wrote:
> I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
> Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
> organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
> there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
> with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).
>
> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
> magazine gets here soon.
>
> Mike

I think my membership has vanished.

Looking at the CTC website and trying to avoid the ****, I find
'membership' email address and phone number 08708730061.
Anyone know who sits behind those contact details and whether
they're sufficiently competent to be worth emailing/phoning?

--
Nick Kew

"Mark McNeill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Response to Mike K Smith:
>> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
>> magazine gets here soon.

> One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
> been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
> turned out not to need them, all things considered.
>
> I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
> two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
> recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...
>

> --
> Mark, UK
> "Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"

I still haven't got my new membership card from my renewal last October The
one that was sent with the renewal letter was actually dated to cease in
2004!

When I renewed by telephone I asked that a properly dated card be sent.
Nothing has happened since.

But just having been mown down by a car a couple of weeks ago I am glad the
my membership did not lapse
..
I rang their legal help line on the day after the incident and today I have
received a load of paperwork from my appointed solicitors. So important
parts of the system work and I am extremely grateful for that. Excellent
value -- and one of the reasons for my membership.

BUT, oh dear me CTC, I can't help but feel that the organisation is creaking
from old age and has strayed too far away from its members. The membership
renewal fiasco has gone on for over a year and the cessation of the Camping
Carnet card is a huge loss to many individuals like me.

So, no, I am not a member of the local Doncaster group. My style and needs
of cycling are geared towards my annual long distance cycle/camping tour and
to help me maintain a reasonable level of fitness ( fighting the tendency
for an ever increasing waistline. I enjoy cycling on my own and that seems
to preclude me from the mainstream of cyclists.
At 68 that doesn't really worry me. On my long tours I meet up with lots of
people daily and enjoy their company perhaps for a few hours or at best a
couple of days -- but I feel when appraising the CTC that I am a lone voice
in the wilderness.

I keep a sharp eye on all sorts of cycling matters, especially those that
pertain to my style of biking but the CTC seems to be too remote and tied up
within its own machinations to be an active source of information and help.

I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case and
there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab website.

Sorry for the moan about CTC when it is actively assisting me in my injury
claim --- but that is one of the things I pay for -- as a pensioner, on
limited means, I have to look very carefully at "value for money" in many
areas to be able to afford my long tours in the summer. There are several
other areas in need of a radical "emptying of the bath water" which leave
lots of members dissatisfied.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Nick Kew wrote:

> Looking at the CTC website and trying to avoid the ****, I find
> 'membership' email address and phone number 08708730061.
> Anyone know who sits behind those contact details and whether
> they're sufficiently competent to be worth emailing/phoning?

Whatever their names are their pic is in the latest Cycle where there's
a bit suggesting they're making up for lost ground and have won an award
or something. So whether that means they're any good is hard to say,
but they're almost certainly no worse than the last lot.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:f%[email protected]...

> I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
> boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case
> and there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab
> website.

I think there are far too many message boards out there, and the CTC doesn't
really need to provide one. It may be that people agree with me, which is
why nobody bothers posting to them.

cheers,
clive

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:29:14 +0000, Mike K Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them on
>Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the previous
>organisation had completely messed up. The tone was apologetic, but
>there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a year's membership
>with nothing to show for it (no membership cards and no magazine).

I've had the opposite experience.

I was sent a new membership card, even though my bank account wasn't
debited for the membership fee, and only learned that I wasn't a
member last week when I enquired about the weekly emailed newsletter.

CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
price of 12 months.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club

Pinky wrote:

> I am sure that many of you here have visited the CTC antiquated message
> boards which should be as lively as this NG. Sadly that is not the case and
> there is far more useful dialog on this NG than on CTC's drab website.

But this is Usenet and thus has a worthwhile front end through
newsreaders. Web forums don't.

Pete.
--

Clive George wrote on Friday 10 February 2006 16:19:

> I think there are far too many message boards out there, and the CTC
> doesn't really need to provide one. It may be that people agree with
> me, which is why nobody bothers posting to them.

IMHO message boards are a work of Stan - just another way of harvesting
email addresses and peddling stuff that no-one wants.
--
Regards
Alex

Tom Crispin wrote:

> CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
> price of 12 months.
> --

Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
hasn't materialised.

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to Mike K Smith:
>> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
>> magazine gets here soon.

> One email sent, one received: my membership has silently lapsed, so I've
> been unwittingly without legal/insurance benefits. Just as well I
> turned out not to need them, all things considered.
>
> I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
> two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
> recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...

So you lost out on the offer ?

Response to MSeries:
> > I rang the number suggested and renewed my membership over the phone:
> > two days later I got a form letter from Chris Juden apologising for
> > recent membership problems and offering 15 months for 12 if I renew...
> >

> So you lost out on the offer ?

That's just what I was wondering; but from what you've said in your
other post, I'm not missing much. ;-)

Ah, well, I suppose it means another email exchange. <sigh>

--
Mark, UK
"Nothing sets a person up more than having something turn out just the

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:59:40 +0000, MSeries <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>

>> CTC have written to me offering me 15 months' subscription for the
>> price of 12 months.
>> --

>Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
>hasn't materialised.

I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
to ride a stationary bicycle. -
Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

Response to Tom Crispin:
> >> price of 12 months.
> >> --

> >Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
> >hasn't materialised.

> I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

Me too. Hmmm...

--
Mark, UK
"The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests

Tom Crispin <[email protected]> writes:

>I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

On the other hand, my membership had lapsed because I didn't get around to
sending the form back the year before, and I gratefully accepted the 15
months offer :)

Roos

Roos Eisma wrote:
> Tom Crispin <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.

> On the other hand, my membership had lapsed because I didn't get around to
> sending the form back the year before, and I gratefully accepted the 15
> months offer :)
>
> Roos

Sigh, if only they'd do what they said they are going to do and send me
the offer letter. It's comedy isn't it ?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:53:42 -0000, Mark McNeill
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Response to Tom Crispin:
>> >
>> >Hmmph, Peter Jackson promised me that offer back in October, so far it
>> >hasn't materialised.

>> I renewed for 12 months 2 days before the letter arrived.
>>

>Me too. Hmmm...

The letter does have a box to tick if you've already renewed.

I won't take them up on their offer. I expect CTC have already
suffered enough with their membership contractor.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club
to ride a stationary bicycle. -
Congressman Earl Blumenauer (Oregon)

Response to Tom Crispin:
> The letter does have a box to tick if you've already renewed.

You right, of course, and it shows how much attention I was paying!
Also s/Chris Juden/Kevin Mayne/ in my earlier post: brainfart on my
part.

--
Mark, UK
"If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything."

Mike K Smith wrote:
> I just received a letter from the CTC in response to one I sent them
> on Jan 8th. They have finally sorted out our membership, which the
> previous organisation had completely messed up. The tone was
> apologetic, but there was no sweetener for the fact that we paid a
> year's membership with nothing to show for it (no membership cards
> and no magazine).
>
> So one cheer for the CTC, with a second cheer if the next copy of the
> magazine gets here soon.
>
> Mike

My new card arrived today, unprompted, in time for the end of this month.
--

Martin Bulmer