CTC regulation moustache?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Over the recent months and following circulation of a number of photographs, Guy's moustache has
    attracted as much comment as his extrememly varied collection of bicycles.

    In fact this was how I recognised him cycling through Caversham a few months ago (I would have
    greeted you but there was too much traffic and he was at a dodgy junction so didn't for
    safety's sake!)

    Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    similar moustache.

    Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    | Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    | publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    | similar moustache.
    |
    | Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)

    Why do you think it's called a "handlebar moustache"?

    I'll get me coat...

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:47:19 GMT, [email protected]$pamblock.anweald.co.uk (Patrick Herring) wrote:

    >I'll get me coat...

    Quite right too. Impudence...

    Guy
    ===

  4. On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:47:19 +0000, Patrick Herring did issue forth:

    > "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    > | Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    > | publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    > | similar moustache.
    > |
    > | Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)
    >
    > Why do you think it's called a "handlebar moustache"?
    >
    > I'll get me coat...

    Badum tish...

    http://www.handlebarclub.org.uk/

    Huw "Clean shaven(ish)" Pritchard

  5. M Series wrote:
    > Riding up Otley Road today, done 10 miles or so and I had a puncture. Sh*te & b*ll*&ks I thought
    > as I know how hard it is to refit my tyres on my rims. Was just starting the job and another
    > cyclist stopped and helped with the use of his tyre levers. They were a two piece job with hooks
    > at the end to pull the bead over the rim.

    I would guess that was a "VAR" lever (not used it myself but always meant to get one).

    > He did the hard part for me. He said one can get these levers from a bloke trading as HardToFind
    > and he might be at York Rally next week. Does any one have a contact for him ?

    from the March 2002 catalogue: tel: 01296 747377 1 - 4pm Tues/Thurs/Sat or mobile: 07850 740591
    (answerphones)

    ~PB

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:

    > We certainly don't encourage it, it's obligatory!

    Must be different up here in CTCS, as I haven't had any pressure on me to grow one since I finally
    got round to joining last year[1]. Lucky thing too, my moustache comes out blonde and sufficiently
    invisible as a result to look like I'm trying too hard but really shouldn't bother...

    Pete.

    [1] maybe I'm on probation and the demand will come through later this year along with my sub
    renewal...
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/