CTC regulation moustache?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Over the recent months and following circulation of a number of photographs, Guy's moustache has
    attracted as much comment as his extrememly varied collection of bicycles.

In fact this was how I recognised him cycling through Caversham a few months ago (I would have
    greeted you but there was too much traffic and he was at a dodgy junction so didn't for
    safety's sake!)

Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    similar moustache.

Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)

Alex

Tags:

2. "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    | Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    | publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    | similar moustache.
    |
    | Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)

Why do you think it's called a "handlebar moustache"?

I'll get me coat...

--
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

3. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:47:19 GMT, [email protected]$pamblock.anweald.co.uk (Patrick Herring) wrote:

>I'll get me coat...

Quite right too. Impudence...

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

4. On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:47:19 +0000, Patrick Herring did issue forth:

> "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote: ...
    > | Richard Ballantine's excellent books contain a large number of illustrations from early CTC
    > | publications - in which I notice that *all* the male cyclists featured therein appear to have a
    > | similar moustache.
    > |
    > | Is this something the CTC *still* encourage to this day? :)
    >
    > Why do you think it's called a "handlebar moustache"?
    >
    > I'll get me coat...

Badum tish...

http://www.handlebarclub.org.uk/

Huw "Clean shaven(ish)" Pritchard

5. M Series wrote:
    > Riding up Otley Road today, done 10 miles or so and I had a puncture. Sh*te & b*ll*&ks I thought
    > as I know how hard it is to refit my tyres on my rims. Was just starting the job and another
    > cyclist stopped and helped with the use of his tyre levers. They were a two piece job with hooks
    > at the end to pull the bead over the rim.

I would guess that was a "VAR" lever (not used it myself but always meant to get one).

> He did the hard part for me. He said one can get these levers from a bloke trading as HardToFind
    > and he might be at York Rally next week. Does any one have a contact for him ?

from the March 2002 catalogue: tel: 01296 747377 1 - 4pm Tues/Thurs/Sat or mobile: 07850 740591
    (answerphones)

~PB

6. Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch Guest

Richard Burton wrote:

> We certainly don't encourage it, it's obligatory!

Must be different up here in CTCS, as I haven't had any pressure on me to grow one since I finally
    got round to joining last year[1]. Lucky thing too, my moustache comes out blonde and sufficiently
    invisible as a result to look like I'm trying too hard but really shouldn't bother...

Pete.

[1] maybe I'm on probation and the demand will come through later this year along with my sub
    renewal...
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.