CTL and Tapering

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
Please can someone tell me if my train of thought is correct:

The higher your CTL, the quicker it drops when easing up on the training volume/intensity, therefore at higher CTL levels less of a taper is needed to bring TSB up to say 10+ ready for a race.

I seek confirmation because when my CTL was at a lower level than it is now, my coach once gave me a taper plan to follow, but I think now that my CTL is much higher I should not blindly follow the same plan but adjust it in order to arrive at the same target TSB on race day.

Thanks.
JB.

Spunout said:
Trust your coach.

Ah, sorry, I forgot to explain that I do not have a coach at present, hence the reason I am trying to adapt past coaching advice to my present circumstances! :D

JungleBiker said:
Please can someone tell me if my train of thought is correct:

The higher your CTL, the quicker it drops when easing up on the training volume/intensity, therefore at higher CTL levels less of a taper is needed to bring TSB up to say 10+ ready for a race.

I seek confirmation because when my CTL was at a lower level than it is now, my coach once gave me a taper plan to follow, but I think now that my CTL is much higher I should not blindly follow the same plan but adjust it in order to arrive at the same target TSB on race day.

Thanks.
JB.
I'm not sure that that's correct. I think the slope of the drop in CTL is more dependent on what (how much) you're doing while tapering, i.e. your ATL. If you want to compare how it drops without any training, you can experiment in your PMC and compare how it drops starting right now vs. how it would drop if you e.g. doubled your FTP setting.

JungleBiker said:
QUOTE]

If your CTL was, say, 75 before and you were prescribed a week long taper that averaged, say, 50 TSS/day, your positive change in TSB would be less than if you did the same taper with a starting CTL of, say, 100.

I would adjust the taper to arrive at your desired target TSB.

Fightin Boba said:
JungleBiker said:
If your CTL was, say, 75 before and you were prescribed a week long taper that averaged, say, 50 TSS/day, your positive change in TSB would be less than if you did the same taper with a starting CTL of, say, 100.

I'd also add that at some CTLs (and especially for some events), a taper might be counter-productive.

Hi Alex

Alex Simmons said:
I'd also add that at some CTLs (and especially for some events), a taper might be counter-productive.
I'd be interested, if you have the time, if you could elaborate a bit on this one.

Thanks.

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
Hi Alex

I'd be interested, if you have the time, if you could elaborate a bit on this one.

Thanks.

PBUK
i. Fitness (CTL) is sometimes more important than freshness (high TSB).
ii. No point in tapering if CTL isn't high enough to start with.

Hi Alex

Alex Simmons said:
Thanks for that, makes perfect sense.

PBUK

Fightin Boba said:
JungleBiker said:
QUOTE]

Hi Steve,
You have confirmed what I thought. (And by the way, the numbers you used as examples are not far off the actual figures!)
Thanks.
JB.

Alex Simmons said:

Hi Alex,
i. I understand from elsewhere on these forums that fitness is more important than freshness for longer events. In my case the race will be an MTB cross country race of about 1.5 hours so I think freshness is important. How fresh, e.g. +10 or +15 or ?? is something I guess I will gradually learn as I accumulate experience/data from training and racing with a power meter.
ii. One week before the race I expect my CTL to reach about 98 which I believe is high enough to justify a taper.
Thanks.
JB.

JungleBiker said:
is something I guess I will gradually learn as I accumulate experience/data from training and racing with a power meter.
Yes

JungleBiker said:
ii. One week before the race I expect my CTL to reach about 98 which I believe is high enough to justify a taper.
Yes