CTS or Spinervals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Meek One, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Meek One

Meek One New Member

Got a new job, which will force me to ride deep into the night...

I will probably ride with one of my powermeters on a trainer (thinking of Kurt Kinetic). To not die of boredom, I plan on picking up maybe 3-5 videos.

Which is preferred CTS or Spinervals?

Any thoughts on which specific DVD's are awesome vs so-so?

Probably want a distance one, interval, time-trial, etc...

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Steve Holloway

Steve Holloway New Member

I prefer CTS. I have Climbing I and II, Cadance, and time trial. I don't think they have distance dvd. I also have a couple spinervals, but never use them...

3. genedoc

genedoc New Member

Me too. I prefer CTS DVDs (climbing I and II, Crtierium, Sprinting, and TT). I have a few Spinervals (totally TT, and two others), but I rarely use them.

Spinervals has lots of DVDsand I've only tried afew, so some of hte others might be very good - lots of people use them!

4. Meek One

Meek One New Member

Thanks for your input. Anyone else? :)

5. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

CTS DVDs for sure - I use Climbing 1, Climbing 2, Criterium, Time Trail and Race Preparation. Great way to train if you've only got an hour to train and its not hard to 'translate' the CTS terminology into L3, L4 and L5 zones :)

6. DJA

DJA New Member

I've got spinerval 13 "tough love" but generally I use dvd's of the tour and do my own routines to them.;)

7. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

Spinervals seem to be popular in my area. The 2 best LBS's carry them and many of the racers are using them. In fact, there are a number of group trainer sessions run in our city. As well, a bunch of the racers have bought a large group of the SPinervals collectively and are sharing them.

I own a number of them and have only started trying them this winter. The classic ones to recommend include the following
    1.0 No Slackes Allowed
    2.0 Time Trial Special
    3.0 Suffer-O-Rama
    4.0 Muscle Breakdown
    7.0 Uphill GRind
    9.0 Have Mercy
    24.0 Hillacious
    Plus there a number of Aero Base sessions good for easy days.

plus I just tested their new Virtual Reality one: Autumn Country Training Ride, which is an easier more aero session with VR scenery to keep you on your bike.

Personally, I only have one CTS DVD (TIME TRIAL) that came with my Cycleops Fluid2, and I seem to like the Spinervals better (I seem more motivated to keep riding), but I haven't tried the CTS recently.

8. Thom_y

Thom_y New Member

One advantage of the Spinervals DVD's is they give you the gearing ratio that you should be in for each interval along with intensity of effort on top (Troy often says what cadence you should aim for), whereas the CTS videos just give you the intensity of effort plus cadence, but don't recommend which gear to be in.

9. EmPat

EmPat New Member

I have a couple from both sources and chop and change between the two. I like the technical aspects of the CTS series more (better intervals, Dean Golich explains why the different types are important) but prefer the Spinervals for motivation - Coach Troy never fails to make me work hard even when I would rather be doing something else.

10. ChelseaHH

ChelseaHH New Member

Another vote for Spinervals

I do like a coach pushing me along and Troy certainly does this although his gearing/cadence settings put me WAY over the suggested intensity level so some adaption is required.

Have Mercy 9.0 is a compilation and is the hardest workout I have done from the selection of DVDs I have.

The CTS DVDs have a "lab" feel to it - I'm surprised the instructors don't wear white coats! I found them boring, lacked punch and didnt motivate me.

11. workingguy

workingguy Member

I have the Criterium and TT from CTS. What power level do you use for the Criterium 7x2's? My power fluctuates betweeen 112% to 130% FTP for 2 min and <60% 1 min. Would this be characterized as a VO2 workout? In this first attempt, my NP for the set is about the same as my best 20 min AP.

12. Jim R

Jim R New Member

Never used CTS but I love Spinervals. I have been reluctant to spend money on CTS because they are all only 60 min. At least a couple times a week, I use the 90-180 minute Spinervals DVD's for endurance work. I would be even more reluctant to try CTS if they don't specificy gearing ratios as mentioned above.

13. Spunout

Spunout New Member

Gearing ratios: So you are all using the same trainer as the dudes in the video?

14. workingguy

workingguy Member

Those guys are all using CycleOps Fluid 2 and Powertaps. Carmichael, Saris, and Lance all have a cozy relationship. I have Kreitler rollers w/ Fan. I pick a gear that gives me a sustainable and repeatable power for that work interval and try to match their designated cadence.

15. TiMan

TiMan New Member

16. Pureshot78

Pureshot78 New Member

The suggested gearings in the Spinervals videos are not applicable if you are using a Fluid trainer such as Fluid2 or KK. I'm guessing most of you can't throw in in the big ring 12 and hit 100 rpm as coach troy routinely prescribes... :D

17. Jim R

Jim R New Member

"The suggested gearings in the Spinervals videos are not applicable if you are using a Fluid trainer such as Fluid2 or KK"

Well that is not true because everyone on the videos are on Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainers (except a few Lemond Revmasters) using the recommended gearings. In fact, KK is the sponsor of the DVD's. I also bet that the comparative resistance between different KK Road Machines is pretty similiar.

I agree that other brands of trainers other than KK would probably not be as accurate.

18. franco1

franco1 New Member

I've got all the CTS and most of the Spinervals, and I found the CTS harder to "tranlate"

Maybe you can help me, with this (its been a while since I used them so I apologise in advance if I get this wrong) but in the beggining they say after you've done the CTS test multiply the values from your CTS test to get your training power/heart rate for the session.

Now for the t.t. (I think) you worked out your values for Power Interval and in the session they say to do another type of workout before they actually do the Power Interval. But they never said what formula you must use before the session started.

So I think I've been spoiled with the Spinervals in this case.

Would you be able to tell me all the formulas you used for the different training intensitys.

Once again I apologise if I misinterperited the DVD's as its been I while since I've used them.

19. Hookyrider

Hookyrider New Member

been using Spinervals now for about 6 years, and have 10 titles or so. I guess you could say I like them, and find them effective :D When you can't turn the gear at the cadance Troy is asking for - shift to a gear that allows you to do so, if you can do better then quit cheating and shift down to a harder gear!

Don't have any experience with CTS, but also really haven't heard anything bad ...

Either way I think the videos really help make for VERY effective trainer sessions, and you WILL see results. When I had a job that had me travelign and working stupid long hours, I relied heavily on the Spinervals workouts - I found I made surprising gains!

HR

20. RobinfromBoston

RobinfromBoston New Member

I find that Coach Troy pushes me (verbally) a bit harder than CTS so I've stuck with Spinervals.

Personally, I love/hate:

1.) Muscle Breakdown
    2.) Suffer-o-Rama
    3.) Have Mercy

The 3 hour DVD, Tough Love, has a 'rating' of 9.9 but I find it suprisingly easy abeit long.

I agree with others who mentioned using the AeroBuilding DVD's which are boring but essential along with including recovery rides.

My only other thought is that maybe you will want to start with some (or at least one) of the easier DVD's. After working all day, doing a really hard workout will be pure hell!

That's my two cents worth....happy spinning!

Robin