Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta (revised)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by BoboBonobo, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta

    2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers
    2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    6 six oz cans tomato paste
    10 large bay leaves
    water as needed
    MSG (optional)
    your choice of pasta
    grated parmesan cheese

    Mix beef, saltines and olive oil **. Form into cubical meatballs
    1"-1-1/4"
    square. Fry each side to very brown in a non-stick skillet.

    Combine water and bay leaves, and heat to simmering for at least a half
    an hour, Then add the tomato paste and additional water as needed.
    Heat to simmer, stirring often.
    Add the meatballs to the sauce, and continue to simmer for 1 hour or
    more, gently stirring
    occasionally, being careful not to scorch the sauce. Serve over pasta
    (I prefer cappellini
    or vermicelli) with grated parmesan.

    The simplicity of ingredients makes for an intensely tomatoey
    experience.
    I suggest that everyone be warned about the bay leaves, since
    they can be a choking hazard. You may wish to fish them out before
    serving
    the sauce, ESPECIALLY for young children or elderly.

    Note that very thin pastas, vermicelli and moreso capellini can get
    mushy if you are not careful to cook them al dente. The sauce only
    seems to improve after being refigerated and reheated.
    Toss any leftover pasta and make it fresh each time.
    Bon apetit.

    * If you can get 97% lean ground beef, increase the olive oil to 4 Tbs.
    ** You might also wish to add 1/8 tsp MSG to meatball mixture

    Bryan http://MySpace.com/BoboBonobo

    Tags:

  2. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:
    > Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta
    >
    > 2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    > 4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers

    "Cubical?" If you're making meatcubes, do it this way - pat the meat
    mixture very firmly into a pan that will hold it all in the thickness
    you want for the meatcubes.

    Dump the meat mixture out on a foil or wax paper surface. Cut the big
    slab into cubes. Separate and put on a broiler pan and put in a high
    heat oven (about 450 deg. F.) and brown until done.

    Much easier than frying one side at a time in a pan on top the stove.

    N.

  3. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:
    > Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta
    >
    > 2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    > 4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers
    > 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    > 6 six oz cans tomato paste
    > 10 large bay leaves
    > water as needed
    > MSG (optional)
    > your choice of pasta
    > grated parmesan cheese
    >
    > Mix beef, saltines and olive oil **. Form into cubical meatballs
    > 1"-1-1/4"
    > square. Fry each side to very brown in a non-stick skillet.
    >
    > Combine water and bay leaves, and heat to simmering for at least a half
    > an hour, Then add the tomato paste and additional water as needed.
    > Heat to simmer, stirring often.
    > Add the meatballs to the sauce, and continue to simmer for 1 hour or
    > more, gently stirring
    > occasionally, being careful not to scorch the sauce. Serve over pasta
    > (I prefer cappellini
    > or vermicelli) with grated parmesan.
    >
    > The simplicity of ingredients makes for an intensely tomatoey
    > experience.
    > I suggest that everyone be warned about the bay leaves, since
    > they can be a choking hazard. You may wish to fish them out before
    > serving
    > the sauce, ESPECIALLY for young children or elderly.

    In my experience, whole bay leaves are NEVER left in a sauce or any
    other dish. They are always fished out before serving. They do sell
    powdered bay leaf.

    N.

  4. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Nancy1 wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > > Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta
    > >
    > > 2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    > > 4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers

    > "Cubical?" If you're making meatcubes, do it this way - pat the meat
    > mixture very firmly into a pan that will hold it all in the thickness
    > you want for the meatcubes.
    >
    > Dump the meat mixture out on a foil or wax paper surface. Cut the big
    > slab into cubes.

    Good idea.

    > Separate and put on a broiler pan and put in a high
    > heat oven (about 450 deg. F.) and brown until done.
    >
    > Much easier than frying one side at a time in a pan on top the stove.

    Easier, but they won't get as well browned. The point of the cube
    shape is the six distinct sides, each can be thoroughly browned, and
    the cube offers a higher surface area to volume ratio (a pyramid would
    be even better, but too hard to shape) than the sphere.

    > N.

    --Bryan

  5. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Nancy1 wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > > Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta
    > >
    > > 2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    > > 4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers
    > > 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    > > 6 six oz cans tomato paste
    > > 10 large bay leaves
    > > water as needed
    > > MSG (optional)
    > > your choice of pasta
    > > grated parmesan cheese
    > >
    > > Mix beef, saltines and olive oil **. Form into cubical meatballs
    > > 1"-1-1/4"
    > > square. Fry each side to very brown in a non-stick skillet.
    > >
    > > Combine water and bay leaves, and heat to simmering for at least a half
    > > an hour, Then add the tomato paste and additional water as needed.
    > > Heat to simmer, stirring often.
    > > Add the meatballs to the sauce, and continue to simmer for 1 hour or
    > > more, gently stirring
    > > occasionally, being careful not to scorch the sauce. Serve over pasta
    > > (I prefer cappellini
    > > or vermicelli) with grated parmesan.
    > >
    > > The simplicity of ingredients makes for an intensely tomatoey
    > > experience.
    > > I suggest that everyone be warned about the bay leaves, since
    > > they can be a choking hazard. You may wish to fish them out before
    > > serving
    > > the sauce, ESPECIALLY for young children or elderly.

    > In my experience, whole bay leaves are NEVER left in a sauce or any
    > other dish. They are always fished out before serving. They do sell
    > powdered bay leaf.

    My mother always left them in the sauce, dodging them when serving it
    up, that was until a broken piece ended up in my stepfather's throat.
    Unfortunately, it didn't kill him. I've tried the powdered leaf, and
    it's not the same

    > N.

    --Bryan

  6. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:
    > Nancy1 wrote:
    > > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > > > Cubical Meatball Sauce over pasta
    > > >
    > > > 2 pounds of super lean ground beef -- 93% lean *
    > > > 4 oz crumbled fat-free saltine crackers
    > > > 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    > > > 6 six oz cans tomato paste
    > > > 10 large bay leaves
    > > > water as needed
    > > > MSG (optional)
    > > > your choice of pasta
    > > > grated parmesan cheese
    > > >
    > > > Mix beef, saltines and olive oil **. Form into cubical meatballs
    > > > 1"-1-1/4"
    > > > square. Fry each side to very brown in a non-stick skillet.
    > > >
    > > > Combine water and bay leaves, and heat to simmering for at least a half
    > > > an hour, Then add the tomato paste and additional water as needed.
    > > > Heat to simmer, stirring often.
    > > > Add the meatballs to the sauce, and continue to simmer for 1 hour or
    > > > more, gently stirring
    > > > occasionally, being careful not to scorch the sauce. Serve over pasta
    > > > (I prefer cappellini
    > > > or vermicelli) with grated parmesan.
    > > >
    > > > The simplicity of ingredients makes for an intensely tomatoey
    > > > experience.
    > > > I suggest that everyone be warned about the bay leaves, since
    > > > they can be a choking hazard. You may wish to fish them out before
    > > > serving
    > > > the sauce, ESPECIALLY for young children or elderly.

    > > In my experience, whole bay leaves are NEVER left in a sauce or any
    > > other dish. They are always fished out before serving. They do sell
    > > powdered bay leaf.

    > My mother always left them in the sauce, dodging them when serving it
    > up, that was until a broken piece ended up in my stepfather's throat.
    > Unfortunately, it didn't kill him. I've tried the powdered leaf, and
    > it's not the same
    > >
    > > N.

    > --Bryan

    Yeah, I don't like the powdered, either. As to doing the cubes in the
    oven, when I put my round meatballs in the oven on the broiler pan, the
    bottoms always get brown along with the sides and top. YMMV.

    N.