Cunego competing with Simoni?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Adams, May 11, 2004.

  1. I didn't get to see it on TV, but from the "live" ticker on
    CN the tactics looked a bit like Cunego was working a little
    for himself. Did he ride on the wheels of Pellizotti,
    Figueras and Popovych then sprint around for 2nd or did he
    ride at the front of that small group? He certainly looks,
    in the early going as a possible contender for the GC, too.

    Tags:

  2. On 11 May 2004 10:09:33 -0700, Richard Adams wrote:
    >tactics looked a bit like Cunego was working a little for
    >himself. Did he ride on the wheels of Pellizotti, Figueras
    >and Popovych then sprint around for 2nd or did he ride at
    >the front of that small group?

    He opened the race, there was no strong reaction, but he was
    also not making much of a gap. Simoni jumped, nobody could
    follow, including Cunego when he passed him. Cunego then
    followed the wheel of, first, Popovych, later Figueras. He
    sprinted for second to steal away bonus seconds.

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Richard Adams wrote:
    > I didn't get to see it on TV, but from the "live" ticker
    > on CN the tactics looked a bit like Cunego was working a
    > little for himself. Did he ride on the wheels of
    > Pellizotti, Figueras and Popovych then sprint around for
    > 2nd or did he ride at the front of that small group? He
    > certainly looks, in the early going as a possible
    > contender for the GC, too.

    With perhaps 3 km to go, the peloton had been whittled down
    to maybe 20-25ish or so, Saeco in the lead. Figueras moved
    up, as did Noe and Pellizotti. Some Phonak guy (I want to
    say Fetonyl) attacked, got a little gap, just a very little.
    Mazzoleni brought him back, Cunego waited two beats, then
    attacked. There was some hesitation, Cunego had no more than
    a 15 meter gap then Popovych *had* to go after him. Simoni
    waited another couple of beats, then went himself, hard,
    passed Popovych and caught Cunego by himself. I'm wondering
    if that was planned. The two rode together for a few
    seconds, then Simoni upped the pace and Cunego couldn't hold
    his wheel anymore. Now I'm wondering if Simoni was sending a
    message. Popovych, Figueras, and Pellizotti caught Cunego.
    The director switches to another motocam and we realize that
    Garzelli hasn't made the cut. We go back to motocam 1 and
    can't see Simoni anymore. They switch to the helicopter
    shot, and the reason becomes clear: Simoni is too far up the
    road to be seen by the motocam. Cunego is riding mostly in
    2nd place in the small group, but they're bunched not lined
    out. Popovych is doing steady in-the-saddle stuff but he's
    not Indurain. Popovych falters and gets dropped when
    Figueras ups the pace, but manages to latch back on, just.
    There's snow on the ground. There's ice in Garzelli's heart.
    Cunego takes the sprint for second, driving Popovych into
    5th and out of the bonus. Garzelli finishes in the second
    group, and will be wearing a yellow jersey.

  4. On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:26:03 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > There's snow on the ground. There's ice in
    > Garzelli's heart.

    Haha!! Florid like the Italians like to speak. However, I
    would think what was in Garzelli's heart was the hot daggers
    fired away by each fierce pedal stroke of the man in bloody
    red, the hot java salesman to whom every mountain is but a
    hill of beans, Gilberto "Gibo" Simoni. Ice was in our hearts
    as we saw Il Pirata's former protegé fade away, his head
    shining from the deepest drops of courage pouring out,
    ultimately overheating in his SaunierDuval colours, a
    valliant knight once more reduced to common soldier...

  5. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:26:03 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >
    >>There's snow on the ground. There's ice in
    >>Garzelli's heart.
    >

    > Haha!! Florid like the Italians like to speak. However, I
    > would think what was in Garzelli's heart was the hot
    > daggers fired away by each fierce pedal stroke of the man
    > in bloody red, the hot java salesman to whom every
    > mountain is but a hill of beans, Gilberto "Gibo" Simoni.
    > Ice was in our hearts as we saw Il Pirata's former protegé
    > fade away, his head shining from the deepest drops of
    > courage pouring out, ultimately overheating in his
    > SaunierDuval colours, a valliant knight once more reduced
    > to common soldier...
    both of you guys are pure poetry...

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I didn't get to see it on TV, but from the "live" ticker
    > on CN the tactics looked a bit like Cunego was working a
    > little for himself. Did he ride on the wheels of
    > Pellizotti, Figueras and Popovych then sprint around for
    > 2nd or did he ride at the front of that small group? He
    > certainly looks, in the early going as a possible
    > contender for the GC, too.

    I think it was a set move to put Popovych in trouble, and it
    worked rather well. Simoni certainly didn't panic - he
    waited until Popovych had done the work to try and close the
    gap and then...ouch. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

    Jeff

  7. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think it was a set move to put Popovych in trouble,
    > and it worked rather well. Simoni certainly didn't panic
    > - he waited until Popovych had done the work to try and
    > close the gap and then...ouch. Sorry if I didn't make
    > that clear.

    Well the Red Machine is certainly impressive.

    But La Scala is still too far away to hear the Fat Lady
    singing yet........

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site:
    http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

  8. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Davey Crockett <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well the Red Machine is certainly impressive.

    > But La Scala is still too far away to hear the Fat Lady
    > singing yet........

    This is the stage that came to mind. An impressive
    performance, early in the Giro by a rider that couldn't
    follow it through to Milan: http://www.cyclingnews.com/resu-
    lts/1998/may98/giro98/stage6.html

    Although Willy eventually came up with an explanation for
    that. Hopefully Simoni is getting better medical advice.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  9. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote:

    > I didn't get to see it on TV, but from the "live" ticker
    > on CN the tactics looked a bit like Cunego was working a
    > little for himself. Did he ride on the wheels of
    > Pellizotti, Figueras and Popovych then sprint around for
    > 2nd or did he ride at the front of that small group? He
    > certainly looks, in the early going as a possible
    > contender for the GC, too.

    No, he attacked and then Simoni rode up past him. Cunego
    tried to hold his wheel, thinking they might work together,
    but he wasn't strong enough and slipped back.

    -Sonarrat.

  10. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:26:03 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > > There's snow on the ground. There's ice in Garzelli's
    > > heart.
    >
    > Haha!! Florid like the Italians like to speak. However, I
    > would think what was in Garzelli's heart was the hot
    > daggers fired away by each fierce pedal stroke of the man
    > in bloody red, the hot java salesman to whom every
    > mountain is but a hill of beans, Gilberto "Gibo" Simoni.
    > Ice was in our hearts as we saw Il Pirata's former protegé
    > fade away, his head shining from the deepest drops of
    > courage pouring out, ultimately overheating in his
    > SaunierDuval colours, a valliant knight once more reduced
    > to common soldier...

    That's absolutely dead-on Bob Roll. Just one mistake,
    Saunier Duval is a separate team this year... you'll see
    them in canary yellow with a red logo. Garzelli rides for
    Vini Caldirola, in a lime green and black jersey.

    -Sonarrat.

  11. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Some Phonak guy (I want to say Fetonyl) attacked, got a
    > little gap, just a very little.

    Fortunani

  12. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com. ..

    > Well the Red Machine is certainly impressive.

    Simoni looks to be untouchable on the climbs (again) and
    Cunego and Mazzoleni are more than handy backups. I'd like
    to see Popovych take a bit of time back in the TT, as I
    can't see Garzelli doing it this time.

    > But La Scala is still too far away to hear the Fat
    > Lady singing

    True. Things have been known to change in the Giro. Saeco
    has a lot of work to do now.

    Jeff