Cup and cone bottom bracket question

TomYoung

Guest
Hi all:

I'm fixing up an older bike for my daughter. Since the bottom bracket
seemed a little "crunchy" when turned I figured I'd pull it apart and
do the clean and lube routine.

Had no problems getting it apart, but when I was turning out the
adjustable cup I noticed it didn't have the little holes in its face
that take a pin spanner tool to hold the cup in place when doing the
final reinstall adjustment. Instead, this cup has a pair of shallow
"flats" just proud of the flat face of the cup that look to take (I'm
guessing) some sort of special wrench to hold the cup in place. Maybe
you could use a large adjustable wrench here to hold the cup but it
seems likely that the "grip" wouldn't be very good because the flats
are so small.

Anybody familiar with this setup and can tell me if a special wrench
is needed for reassembly?

TIA

Tom Young

On Jun 21, 5:53 pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm fixing up an older bike for my daughter.  Since the bottom bracket
> seemed a little "crunchy" when turned I figured I'd pull it apart and
> do the clean and lube routine.
>
> Had no problems getting it apart, but when I was turning out the
> adjustable cup I noticed it didn't have the little holes in its face
> that take a pin spanner tool to hold the cup in place when doing the
> final reinstall adjustment.  Instead, this cup has a pair of shallow
> "flats" just proud of the flat face of the cup that look to take (I'm
> guessing) some sort of special wrench to hold the cup in place.  Maybe
> you could use a large adjustable wrench here to hold the cup but it
> seems likely that the "grip" wouldn't be very good because the flats
> are so small.
>
> Anybody familiar with this setup and can tell me if a special wrench
> is needed for reassembly?

I've used a crescent wrench on such a beast with little difficulty.
FWIW, if you're in Norte America--Nashbar's got both their nice
English Bottom cartridge bracket and handle'd BB spline tool on sale.
get 'em both for under $20. (assuming her bike has the proper
threading)

TomYoung wrote:
> I'm fixing up an older bike for my daughter. Since the bottom bracket
> seemed a little "crunchy" when turned I figured I'd pull it apart and
> do the clean and lube routine.
>
> Had no problems getting it apart, but when I was turning out the
> adjustable cup I noticed it didn't have the little holes in its face
> that take a pin spanner tool to hold the cup in place when doing the
> final reinstall adjustment. Instead, this cup has a pair of shallow
> "flats" just proud of the flat face of the cup that look to take (I'm
> guessing) some sort of special wrench to hold the cup in place. Maybe
> you could use a large adjustable wrench here to hold the cup but it
> seems likely that the "grip" wouldn't be very good because the flats
> are so small.
>
> Anybody familiar with this setup and can tell me if a special wrench
> is needed for reassembly?

Most use the Raleigh format at 16mm or 5/8 of an inch or 5/16 WW. Try a
16mm cone wrench if clearances are tight. In a pinch you can span the
arm with an adjustable wrench and turn the crank. It won't properly
engage the flats but it will spin the cup.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

On Jun 21, 4:03 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 5:53 pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Hi all:

> > I'm fixing up an older bike for my daughter.  Since the bottom bracket
> > seemed a little "crunchy" when turned I figured I'd pull it apart and
> > do the clean and lube routine.

> > Had no problems getting it apart, but when I was turning out the
> > adjustable cup I noticed it didn't have the little holes in its face
> > that take a pin spanner tool to hold the cup in place when doing the
> > final reinstall adjustment.  Instead, this cup has a pair of shallow
> > "flats" just proud of the flat face of the cup that look to take (I'm
> > guessing) some sort of special wrench to hold the cup in place.  Maybe
> > you could use a large adjustable wrench here to hold the cup but it
> > seems likely that the "grip" wouldn't be very good because the flats
> > are so small.

> > Anybody familiar with this setup and can tell me if a special wrench
> > is needed for reassembly?

> I've used a crescent wrench on such a beast with little difficulty.
> FWIW, if you're in Norte America--Nashbar's got both their nice
> English Bottom  cartridge bracket and handle'd BB spline tool on sale.
> get 'em both for under $20. (assuming her bike has the proper
> threading)

You're right. Upon further review it looks like an adjustable wrench
*will* grab those flats; they're not as shallow as I thought.

If this was going to be anything more than a "1 year" bike I'd spring
for the Nashbar goodies.

Thanks.

Tom Young