CURE-C-CURE patches

I

Ianb

Have they disappeared? These are the strips of feathered patches, foil and paper covered. I found
that my local petrol shop stocked these at 69p a strip. However when I was about to move to a town
with no close LBS I tried to buy a good stock but he had run out and said he could not find a
supplier. Now I am in a non LBS town I have found that a local Car Shop (spares) holds cycle bits,
he knew what I meant but was out of stock. I went back yesterday and he then said that he could not
find a supplier and could only offer the "kits". I have never seen these advertised in magazine
adverts, dealer catalogues or in any web site I have browsed and anyway would expect the postage to
make it not worth while. I know that many LBSs do not deal in these patches (many staff do not know
what I was talking about). So are they still in production? Can anyone give me a wholesaler name
that I can point my nonLBS man at? Same goes for the glue although I have not been looking for that.
As a by the way when I was still a working man I had access to a LBS which stocked these but it
closed. The man in the market had the patches but not the glue (I was short of both). the adjacent
LBS had glue but not patches so that re-stocking worked. Then I retired and my mileage (and
punctures) went up and the two nearest LBSs did not know what I was talking about, fortunately I
then discovered what stock was carried by the village petrol shop (a treasure chest of odds and
ends, even got a front (2.4w) dynamo bulb there!)
--
IanB

n.b. as I subscribe to two large newsgroups it may be
several days before I see a newsgroup response

IanB wrote:
> Have they disappeared? These are the strips of feathered patches, foil and paper covered.

They used to be my favourites as well. I suspect they're no longer made as I haven't seen any for
ages and kits that used to come with them no longer do. I don't think it's a good idea to buy
ancient stock, by the way, as the dry cement on patches can deteroriate over time.

Instead, I recommend stocking up on Velox patches and cement from www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp .
The patches are very slightly thicker but have feathered edges, easy to remove celophane covers*,
and are extremely reliable. The small 15mm patches are good on narrow tubes and they do larger
ones as well.

* it helps to snip the edges in advance

~PB

"IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have they disappeared? These are the strips of feathered patches, foil and paper covered. I found
> that my local petrol shop stocked these at 69p a strip. However when I was about to move to a town
> with no close LBS I tried to buy a good stock but he had run out and said he could not find a
> supplier. Now I am in a non LBS town I have found that a local Car Shop (spares) holds cycle bits,
> he knew what I meant but was out of stock. I went back yesterday and he then said that he could
> not find a supplier and could only offer the "kits". I have never seen these advertised in
> magazine adverts, dealer catalogues or in any web site I have browsed and anyway would expect the
> postage to make it not worth while. I know that many LBSs do not deal in these patches (many staff
> do not know what I was talking about). So are they still in production? Can anyone give me a
> wholesaler name that I can point my nonLBS man at? Same goes for the glue although I have not been
> looking for that. As a by the way when I was still a working man I had access to a LBS which
> stocked these but it closed. The man in the market had the patches but not the glue (I was short
> of both). the adjacent LBS had glue but not patches so that re-stocking worked. Then I retired and
> my mileage (and punctures) went up and the two nearest LBSs did not know what I was talking about,
> fortunately I then discovered what stock was carried by the village petrol shop (a treasure chest
> of odds and ends, even got a front (2.4w) dynamo bulb there!)
> --
> IanB
>
>
> n.b. as I subscribe to two large newsgroups it may be several days before I see a newsgroup
> response
>
>
================
Have you tried 'googling' for 'cure-c-cure patches'? A quick search showed several sources
including 'Wiggle'.

Cic.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:00:07 -0000, "IanB"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Have they disappeared?

No, but Rema Tip-Top are Much Better - I recently ran out of Rema and conducted a side-by-
side trial ;-)

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:00:07 -0000, "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >Have they disappeared?
>
> No, but Rema Tip-Top are Much Better - I recently ran out of Rema and conducted a side-by-side
> trial ;-)
>
> Guy
> ===
> May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
> http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
>
> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

Yes. Rema tip-top patches and Rema Tip-Top glue. I normally ask for the pack without the large patch
as it never gets used.

davep

davep <[email protected]> writes:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:00:07 -0000, "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message <[email protected]>:
> >
> > >Have they disappeared?
> >
> > No, but Rema Tip-Top are Much Better - I recently ran out of Rema and conducted a side-by-side
> > trial ;-)
>
> Yes. Rema tip-top patches and Rema Tip-Top glue. I normally ask for the pack without the large
> patch as it never gets used.

Another vote for Tip-Top - in my opinion the best patches out there.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the
1% of browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

IanB wrote:

> Have they disappeared? These are the strips of feathered patches, foil and paper covered.

You can get very similar ones from H+lf+rds.

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another vote for Tip-Top - in my opinion the best patches out there.

Apaseal patches, superbuff and solution are, IMVHO, easily the best patches but not the
easiest to buy!

However if I count the time taken to remove a wheel, patch the tube and replace the wheel it is more
cost effective just to put on a new tube - I get serious change out of £1 for a new tube if I buy
them in 50's.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.millport.net

In article <[email protected]>, Geraint Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:
> How many tubes do you carry with you on a `trip' and where to you carry them? I don't think I have
> ever taken more than three with me, two of them fitted to the wheels, even on the longest tour.

They sit on a shelf in the shop and I normally have about 200 tubes in stock. The furthest away from
the shop the customer can be is
5.25miles so to swap a bike with a puncture for one that hasn't should take about 15 minuets - if
the customer knows where he/she is! (Time we fitted GPS to them - bikes not customers)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.millport.net

In article <[email protected]>, Geraint Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Praise God for we are a musical people, dancing minuets on your island.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition:)

> I'd forgotten you never got more than a couple of miles from the mains; have you considered mains-
> powered bicycle lights with a very long lead as an alternative to carrying batteries and dynamos
> and the like?

When we are busy we don't need lights - we have almost 24 hours of daytime.

However as an alternative source of energy if every hiring bicycle had a dynamo/dynohub/alternator
how much pollution free energy could we produce?

--

Sandy Morton wrote:
>
> However as an alternative source of energy if every hiring bicycle had a dynamo/dynohub/alternator
> how much pollution free energy could we produce?

Absolutely none; there's no such thing.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:59:45 +0000, Sandy Morton wrote:
>
> They sit on a shelf in the shop and I normally have about 200 tubes in stock. The furthest away
> from the shop the customer can be is
> 5.25miles so to swap a bike with a puncture for one that hasn't should take about 15 minuets - if
> the customer knows where he/she is! (Time we fitted GPS to them - bikes not customers)

:) Cue Sandy sitting all day at a computer screen watching little dots
inch around the island.

It could work though. Cover the island with a wireless 802.11b network. Fix GPS and palmtop
computers to the bikes.

Actually, I read in Information Week the other day about a pub chain which was instrumenting all
pubs - beer taps too. They can tell what and how much is being drunk at any pub. They use mobile
phones to send the data. A GSM mobile fixed to each bike.

In article <[email protected]>, John
Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
> :) Cue Sandy sitting all day at a computer screen watching little
> :dots inch around the island.

> It could work though. Cover the island with a wireless 802.11b network. Fix GPS and palmtop
> computers to the bikes.

This sounds good to me - where could I get a grant?

--

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:35:19 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Another vote for Tip-Top - in my opinion the best patches out there.

I've not used them on the bike but had no problems with them on car, van, wagon & tractor tubes -
and when you stick an 8" patch on one of them, you really get to like the glue ;)
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:44:36 -0000, Simian
<Simian@in_valid.semi-evolved.org> wrote:

:)Sandy Morton wrote: )> )> However as an alternative source of energy if every hiring bicycle )>
:had a dynamo/dynohub/alternator how much pollution free energy could )> we produce? ) )Absolutely
:none; there's no such thing.

Quite true - there's no such thing as pollution ! Like there's no dirt, muck or anything else - it's
all the right things but in the wrong places !
--
Comm again, Mike.