Cure for cold toes when it's freezing

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully all
of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make the
ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the shower as
you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of
purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my
no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.

It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly purple
color in the shower.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully all
> of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make the
> ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the shower as
> you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of
> purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my
> no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
> toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
> didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.
>
> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly purple
> color in the shower.

That's what I do also on the really cold days: Pearl Izumi toe warmers
over the shoes, then the booties. Plus, I've found that adding thin,
poly-pro sock liners under wool-blend cycling socks helps a great deal.
This morning it was 8 degrees. I overslept and therefore did not bike
to work, but I'll be on the road tomorrow morning. I just picked up a
neoprene face mask; it makes me look like some kind of cycling Ninja -
not exactly the look I want, but it is warm!

On 2007-01-17, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> So what's my
> no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
> toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
> didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.

I do the same thing for my hands; my Head ski/snowboard gloves have a
velcro pocket along the backhand that holds a hand warmer quite nicely.

For real emergencies, I keep a few spares in my handlebar bag; I can throw
them into a jacket or pant pocket, or give them to someone who's less
prepared for the elements than I.

--

__o Kristian M Zoerhoff
_,\(,_ [email protected]

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> On 2007-01-17, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So what's my
> > no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
> > toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
> > similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
> > didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.

> I do the same thing for my hands; my Head ski/snowboard gloves have a
> velcro pocket along the backhand that holds a hand warmer quite nicely.

Sounds like a great idea! Do you have model #, name, link, etc., to
these gloves?

> For real emergencies, I keep a few spares in my handlebar bag; I can throw
> them into a jacket or pant pocket, or give them to someone who's less
> prepared for the elements than I.
>
> --
>
> __o Kristian M Zoerhoff
> _,\(,_ [email protected]
> (_)/ (_)

I live near Boston, and it was 8 degrees here this morning. Since nobody
rides in these temperatures for pleasure, the only bike riders you see on
days like this are commuters. Most commutes are not more than 10 miles, an
hour, tops. And we're not out to win any races either in this weather. Given
these conditions, I've found the best thing for me is to wear warm boots,
thick socks, and flat pedals (I use Shimano M324's, flat on one side, SPD on
the other). Bike shoes are made for warm weather riding, and booties are a
way of jury-rigging them for cold weather. Don't mess around - wear boots.
Spring is just around the corner!

> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully
> all of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make
> the ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the
> shower as you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look
> a color of purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up.
> So what's my no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a
> pair of Kucharik toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other
> brands that work similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the
> booties over those. I didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed
> like something to try.
>
> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly
> purple color in the shower.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:44:12 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully all
>of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
>freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make the
>ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the shower as
>you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of
>purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my
>no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
>toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
>similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
>didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.
>
>It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly purple
>color in the shower.

I've been riding in cold weather for years. When temps get below
freezing there's always a chance of frostbite. In these conditions I
use toe warmers from Grabber (http://www.warmers.com/).

First I put on a pair of light sock liners and stick the toe warmers
to the bottoms. I add a pair of heavier socks and wear a pair of
oversized cycling shoes I have just for this purpose. Add a pair of
neoprene booties and I'm good to go in even really cold weather.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully all
> of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make the
> ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the shower as
> you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of
> purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my
> no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
> toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
> didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.
>
> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly purple
> color in the shower.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I made up something similar (I have size 16 feet & I sew). I made toe
covers out of thick fleece (synthetic) and booties out of stretch fleece
with heavy vinyl soles (cleat cutout). They work really well. I think
the secret is the stretch outer layer keeps the insulating layer close
to the shoe. I would think that "aero" shoe covers would work similarly.
When you say "booties", I'm not sure whether you mean the neoprene ones
or not, I have not had much luck with them nor the neoprene gloves I bought.

I managed one 2 hr ride in temps around 0(F) with mine. My toes were
just getting cold, but not uncomfortably so, at the end.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal.
>> Hopefully all of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or
>> even close to) freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But
>> while booties make the ride survivable, you'll still have that
>> wonderful feeling in the shower as you thaw out, where your toes
>> half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of purple that you didn't
>> find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my no-longer-secret
>> for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik toe warmers
>> (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
>> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over
>> those. I didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like
>> something to try.
>>
>> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly
>> purple color in the shower.
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> I made up something similar (I have size 16 feet & I sew). I made toe
> covers out of thick fleece (synthetic) and booties out of stretch fleece
> with heavy vinyl soles (cleat cutout). They work really well. I think
> the secret is the stretch outer layer keeps the insulating layer close
> to the shoe. I would think that "aero" shoe covers would work similarly.
> When you say "booties", I'm not sure whether you mean the neoprene ones
> or not, I have not had much luck with them nor the neoprene gloves I
> bought.

I don't sew (much), so I gotta ask, are booties available for mountain
bike shoes up to size 13 (European 49)?

Pat

Pat Lamb wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal.
>>> Hopefully all of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or
>>> even close to) freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But
>>> while booties make the ride survivable, you'll still have that
>>> wonderful feeling in the shower as you thaw out, where your toes
>>> half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of purple that you didn't
>>> find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my no-longer-secret
>>> for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik toe warmers
>>> (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
>>> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over
>>> those. I didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like
>>> something to try.
>>>
>>> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly
>>> purple color in the shower.
>>>
>>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>> I made up something similar (I have size 16 feet & I sew). I made toe
>> covers out of thick fleece (synthetic) and booties out of stretch fleece
>> with heavy vinyl soles (cleat cutout). They work really well. I think
>> the secret is the stretch outer layer keeps the insulating layer close
>> to the shoe. I would think that "aero" shoe covers would work similarly.
>> When you say "booties", I'm not sure whether you mean the neoprene ones
>> or not, I have not had much luck with them nor the neoprene gloves I
>> bought.

> I don't sew (much), so I gotta ask, are booties available for mountain
> bike shoes up to size 13 (European 49)?
>
> Pat

There might be (that's probably upper limit). I couldn't find any for
size 52.

What is wrong with just using hot pockets. Put in shoes, pockets, gloves.
They have been around for years. Never needed them myself but skiiers use
them.

I've never used hand or toe warmers and ride every day in a Milwaukee
winter; shorter than my commute when the roads are snowy or icy, but
not on account of cold. My problem with the hand and toe warmers is
that they keep you from "hardening off" against the winter weather.
Without them, you adapt to cold a lot more readily and by late winter
are ready for anything.

Below 15F, I switch from gloves to "choppers and liners" - a thick
woolen mitten covered by a thick leather mitten on my hands. For my
feet, below 20F, add a heavy pair of woolen socks over my regular
rather thick cotton socks, and make sure to wear my lined tennis shoes.
Below zero F, I wear lined boots - clumsy but warmer. If it gets way,
way below zero, I have my Sorel boots available, but haven't needed
them in years for bike riding. Yesterday was 5F, after a long mild
spell and I need to re-acclimate. At every stop, I was furiously
rubbing both hands against each other inside the mittens to generate a
little heat, and continuously curling and uncurling the fingers of
alternate hands, and moving my hand far enough out of the glove that my
thumb got in on it too. Similarly, I was continuously curling and
uncurling my toes. There are places along the way to stop, and if
frostbite is coming on, I would rather do that than use hand or foot
warmers. My mittens are 25+ years old, and I believe better products
are now available, which I intend to look into this weekend, as we seem
to be at the beginning of a rather extended cold spell.

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've found the best thing for me is to wear warm boots,
>thick socks, and flat pedals (I use Shimano M324's, flat on one side, SPD on
>the other). Bike shoes are made for warm weather riding,

I hadn't really thought of it that way but tried this yesterday and it
worked. It wasnt sub zero or even sub freezing but it was very sloppy
with several inches of snow/ice starting to melt and several degrees
below what my normal ride threshold.

My feet stayed warm (and dry) enough to extend the ride from a simple
errand. Without cleats, your feet come off the pedals easier when you
hit slushy areas. The only downside for me is that I tend to tense my
calves to compensate for no cleats. It was worth it though!

Good tip.

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> I've never used hand or toe warmers and ride every day in a Milwaukee
> winter; shorter than my commute when the roads are snowy or icy, but
> not on account of cold. My problem with the hand and toe warmers is
> that they keep you from "hardening off" against the winter weather.
> Without them, you adapt to cold a lot more readily and by late winter
> are ready for anything.

I think this is pretty much true.

I start the winter quite bundled up at 20F temps, but by January
or so, I don't even bother with the balaclava until below 10F and
freezing temps seem almost balmy.

Amazing how the body adjusts!

SMH

VBadJuJu wrote:

> My feet stayed warm (and dry) enough to extend the ride from a simple
> errand. Without cleats, your feet come off the pedals easier when you
> hit slushy areas. The only downside for me is that I tend to tense my
> calves to compensate for no cleats. It was worth it though!

I have BMX style platform pedals on my two winter MTBs.

They work great, and accommodate a broad selection of
winter shoe/boot choices.

SMH

> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully
> all of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make
> the ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the
> shower as you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look
> a color of purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up.
> So what's my no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a
> pair of Kucharik toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other
> brands that work similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the
> booties over those. I didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed
> like something to try.
>
> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly
> purple color in the shower.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Try getting a wind fairing. That's what I did and it solved all my cold toe
problems, but then, I ride a bent trike. so my feet never get wet either as
they're ahead of the wheels. Just sayin....

Recumbent advantage #23

Grolch wrote:
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully
> > all of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> > freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make
> > the ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the
> > shower as you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look
> > a color of purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up.
> > So what's my no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a
> > pair of Kucharik toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other
> > brands that work similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the
> > booties over those. I didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed
> > like something to try.
> >
> > It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly
> > purple color in the shower.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> Try getting a wind fairing. That's what I did and it solved all my cold toe
> problems, but then, I ride a bent trike. so my feet never get wet either as
> they're ahead of the wheels. Just sayin....
>
> Recumbent advantage #23

And how do your feet stay dry when it is raining at a rate of 5cm/hour?

- rick

Pat Lamb wrote:
> I don't sew (much), so I gotta ask, are booties available for mountain
> bike shoes up to size 13 (European 49)?

I have your problem. I bought some "Extra Large" Pearl Izumi booties
at REI;
they just barely cover my Gekos, and they're stretched so taught that
I'm
surprised they have survived.

At the LBS, I found some "Extra Large" Louis Garneaus on the closeout
table for $10. They fit much more reasonably. So, they're out there,
but
I'd try to cruise the LBS and dry-fit them before buying.

Grolch wrote:

> Try getting a wind fairing. That's what I did and it solved all my cold toe
> problems, but then, I ride a bent trike. so my feet never get wet either as
> they're ahead of the wheels. Just sayin....
>
> Recumbent advantage #23

How's the road spray down there?

- Frank Krygowski

John Everett wrote:
> I've been riding in cold weather for years. When temps get below
> freezing there's always a chance of frostbite. In these conditions I
> use toe warmers from Grabber (http://www.warmers.com/).

Those grabber toe warmers are amazing. Well worth the measly $3.00 to
keep your feet warm and happy for 6 hours. The local bike shop has
officially sold out of them for now.. I use the Pearl Izumi fleece
lined booties over my shoes as well and they are really good for
trapping much needed heat where your body doesn't typically conserve
heat in cold weather.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> This morning I added something new to my cold-weather arsenal. Hopefully all
> of us who are silly enough to ride when it's below (or even close to)
> freezing use cold-weather booties over our shoes. But while booties make the
> ride survivable, you'll still have that wonderful feeling in the shower as
> you thaw out, where your toes half-itch and half-hurt, and look a color of
> purple that you didn't find in your box of crayolas growing up. So what's my
> no-longer-secret for keeping my toes comfy? Simple. Put a pair of Kucharik
> toe warmers (that's what I use, but there are many other brands that work
> similarly) over the front of your shoes, and then the booties over those. I
> didn't know it would actually work, it just seemed like something to try.
>
> It worked GREAT! No numbness, no itching, no pain. Not even that ugly purple
> color in the shower.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks but best thing to do is just wait a few days and that wierd
weather you are seeing in SOCAL, will pass. If ya want cold..almost 30
days of snow every WE(snowing now), cold-real cold with 5 degrees in
the morning..riding and biz slow, slow...