Cure for cold toes

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I made a posting on here a while back in regard to overcoming the problem of cold toes whilst cycling. Obviously, this will become more of a problem as the temperature continues to decrease over the next few months.

For some reason, I think I am particularly susceptible to cold toes.

Anyway, I think the best options are to either use Winter cycling boots - Shimano and Northwave do models that are very good - the problem being that they're very bulky.

The other option is to use overshoes on top of your standard cycling shoes. There is a neoprene variety - though I don't know if it will prove to be a problem in regard to your feet being able to breathe. I had a pair of neoprene style socks that only succeeded in causing my feet to sweat and then the water became cold - ensuring my feet stayed cold.

So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would probably be the best approach to this problem.

I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and maintain some warmth.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would
> probably be the best approach to this problem.
>
> I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and maintain
> some warmth.

More to the point: wear a hat and gilet. Keep the core warm, and
the toes will follow.

dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:

: Anyway, I think the best options are to either use Winter cycling boots
: - Shimano and Northwave do models that are very good - the problem being
: that they're very bulky.

I like my Shimano boots. I find the bulk similar to normal cycling shoes
+ overshoes and they are warmer since my normal cycling shoes have a lot
of mesh in them.

However, like the other guy said, wear a hat. If you wear a helmet, then
either wear a thin balaclava undernearth or get some of those ear-warming
thick lycra bands (surprisingly effective). Also either cover the vents
or get a cheaper helmet with fewer vents.

Arthur

"Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> I made a posting on here a while back in regard to overcoming the
> problem of cold toes whilst cycling. Obviously, this will become more
> of a problem as the temperature continues to decrease over the next
> few months.
>
> For some reason, I think I am particularly susceptible to cold toes.

<SNIP>

Tight fitting shoes which don't allow any foot movement in the shoe can lead
to cold toes IME.
My wife once had a course of acupuncture to stop smoking. Didn't really help
with the smoking but she had really warm feet for weeks after.

--

Geoff

In article <[email protected]>,
dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> writes:

> For some reason, I think I am particularly susceptible to cold toes.

I expect you wear enclosed shoes, with socks that get clammy as soon
as you sweat a bit?

Just avoid that clamminess, and all is much better. Open sandals
do the job nicely. Breathable trainers are a second-best.

--
Nick Kew

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would
> probably be the best approach to this problem.

In winter I wear warm socks + normal cycling shoes + overshoes and my toes
still get painfully cold sometimes. I expect proper winter cycling
shoes/boots would be better (expensive, though). Even bog standard trainers
are warmer.

> I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and
> maintain some warmth.

I'll try that, thanks.

~PB

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:59:04 +1000, dannyfrankszzz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The other option is to use overshoes on top of your standard cycling
>shoes.

Try a mil-surplus shop. There are some excellent Goretex boot liners
around (both high and low formats), unfortunately in pale turqoisey
green. They're excellent wellie liners as intended, but they also cut
down pretty well with a SPD hole in the bottom to work as slip-in
overshoes.
--
Smert' spamionam

Pete Biggs <p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc> wrote:

: In winter I wear warm socks + normal cycling shoes + overshoes and my toes
: still get painfully cold sometimes. I expect proper winter cycling
: shoes/boots would be better (expensive, though). Even bog standard trainers
: are warmer.

Shimano winter boots are excellent. If you cycle when it's cold, buy some.

You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works fine) and
cover the ears. Nothing will keep your toes warm if your head is losing heat
(and this happens long, long before your head itself feels cold)

Arthur

"Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

On 15/10/04 10:08 am, in article
[email protected], "Henry Braun"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, dannyfrankszzz wrote:
>> So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would
>> probably be the best approach to this problem.
>>
>> I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and maintain
>> some warmth.

> More to the point: wear a hat and gilet. Keep the core warm, and
> the toes will follow.

Neoprene overshoes are very different to neoprene socks. Definitely worth
trying, especially if you are riding in normal summer cycling shoes.

And as the others have said, make sure your head is warm, hour body is warm
and your hands are warm as well. The rest will follow.

I only really got cold toes with the normal cycling shoes if it was raining
or if the temperature dropped below -5. Then I'd add the overshoes.

Below -15 I'd revert to hiking boots and several pairs of socks.

...d

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I made a posting on here a while back in regard to overcoming the
>problem of cold toes whilst cycling. Obviously, this will become more
>of a problem as the temperature continues to decrease over the next few
>months.
>
>For some reason, I think I am particularly susceptible to cold toes.

Use the layer technique but be aware that if these layers are too
tight then you will reduce the blood circulation to your feet. This
will make your feet even colder!

dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would
> probably be the best approach to this problem.
>
> I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and maintain
> some warmth.

You could always look in a ski shop. They make heated insoles for ski
boots that run off a small battery pack. Might do the job in a cycling
shoe as well although I have never tried them.

Tony

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Shimano winter boots are excellent. If you cycle when it's cold, buy
> some.

My new lights will leave me with very little cycling dosh for some time.
The irony is that I'll be able to do more country cycling, where it'll be
colder!

> You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works
> fine) and cover the ears. Nothing will keep your toes warm if your
> head is losing heat (and this happens long, long before your head
> itself feels cold)

I haven't worn my helmet at all for ages now, but winter is not a bad time
to put it on again. A balaclaa comes in handy anyway.

~PB

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]>typed

> You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works fine) and
> cover the ears. Nothing will keep your toes warm if your head is losing heat
> (and this happens long, long before your head itself feels cold)

> Arthur

For the ladies, I can recommend a silk scarf worn under the helmet.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:30:51 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <p@melonbiggs{remove
fruit}.tc> wrote:

>In winter I wear warm socks + normal cycling shoes + overshoes and my toes
>still get painfully cold sometimes. I expect proper winter cycling
>shoes/boots would be better (expensive, though). Even bog standard trainers
>are warmer.

Loose shoes, gloves, warm body and a hat works for me.

James

Or try a buff under the helmet :) www.buffwear.co.uk

--

Velvet

On 15 Oct 2004 11:18:10 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works fine) and
>cover the ears.

I sewed myself a ripstop nylon (kite fabric) "shower cap" that fits
over my helmet. Keeps the wind out, rain off, and it could even have a
bit of Reflectolite stuck on it.

--
Smert' spamionam