Cure for cold toes

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:50:29 +0100, Andy Dingley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 15 Oct 2004 11:18:10 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works fine) and
>>cover the ears.

>I sewed myself a ripstop nylon (kite fabric) "shower cap" that fits
>over my helmet. Keeps the wind out, rain off, and it could even have a
>bit of Reflectolite stuck on it.

Re ripstop: Some I know have used
<http://www.airbornkites.co.uk/start.htm>
.... Tails, Wind Art, Materials & Spars
.... Materials
in the past.

Also, <http://www.highwaymenkites.co.uk/> are meant to be be pretty
good but I cannot find their "fabric" page.

FWIW, ripstop polyester is better than ripstop nylon, IMO. It's got
something to do with liking or loathing water, IIRC.

James

"Pete Biggs" <p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>
> > Shimano winter boots are excellent. If you cycle when it's cold, buy
> > some.

> My new lights will leave me with very little cycling dosh for some time.
> The irony is that I'll be able to do more country cycling, where it'll be
> colder!
>
> > You wear a helmet I think? Again, block up the vents (tape works
> > fine) and cover the ears. Nothing will keep your toes warm if your
> > head is losing heat (and this happens long, long before your head
> > itself feels cold)

> I haven't worn my helmet at all for ages now, but winter is not a bad time
> to put it on again. A balaclaa comes in handy anyway.
>
> ~PB

My cycling shoes have suberb ventilation - great when it's hot but otherwise
a bit chilly. I use the little neoprene "toe-caps". Wiggle have got some
Hind ones at the moment at £4.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.asp?cat=cycling
These may work for you; otherwise I have also seen a lareger neoprene cover
that is still open at the back to let your feet breathe.

HTH
Julia

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:23:52 GMT, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Re ripstop: Some I know have used
><http://www.airbornkites.co.uk/start.htm>
>... Tails, Wind Art, Materials & Spars
>... Materials
> in the past.
>
>Also, <http://www.highwaymenkites.co.uk/> are meant to be be pretty
>good but I cannot find their "fabric" page.

www.kitesup.co.uk are also very good. Excellent customer service. I
use ripstop nylon as a very lightweight groundsheet for camping.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:55:52 +0100, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Also, <http://www.highwaymenkites.co.uk/> are meant to be be pretty
>>good but I cannot find their "fabric" page.

>www.kitesup.co.uk are also very good. Excellent customer service. I
>use ripstop nylon as a very lightweight groundsheet for camping.

[SNIPPED as and where]

Hi Richard

<http://www.kitesup.co.uk/> is new to me. Having said that, I haven't
flown for more than a year.

Have you come across <http://wardley.org/kites/movies/aug2004.html> -
the latest video from ABW?

Regards
James

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:22:52 GMT, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

><http://www.kitesup.co.uk/> is new to me. Having said that, I haven't
>flown for more than a year.
>
>Have you come across <http://wardley.org/kites/movies/aug2004.html> -
>the latest video from ABW?

I actually have no interest in kites! Kites up was simply recommended
(by URC) as a good source of ripstop nylon.

Cheers, Rich

Helen Vecht wrote:
>>For the ladies, I can recommend a silk scarf worn under the helmet.

and Jon Senior responded:
> Bit sexist! Why can't blokes wear silk scarves as well? ;-)

I used to, before I had a Buff. It was part of a motorcyclist's
Christmas gift pack that my Mum gave me when I used to ride a motorbike.
Very effective it was too, but the Buff is easier to get on and off.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:25:49 +0100, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I actually have no interest in kites! Kites up was simply recommended
>(by URC) as a good source of ripstop nylon.

So be it :)

James

JBB wrote:
> My cycling shoes have suberb ventilation - great when it's hot but
> otherwise a bit chilly. I use the little neoprene "toe-caps".

Great idea! I've never seen those before. As well as on their own in
milder conditions, they might fit underneath my slightly baggy overshoes for
double protection, with a bit of luck. Cheers.

~PB

Tony Raven said:
dannyfrankszzz wrote:

> So, wearing wool socks, normal cycling shoes, and overshoes would
> probably be the best approach to this problem.
>
> I would also suggest applying deep heat to the toes to try and maintain
> some warmth.

You could always look in a ski shop. They make heated insoles for ski
boots that run off a small battery pack. Might do the job in a cycling
shoe as well although I have never tried them.

Tony

They also make disposable heaters that work on oxidizing finely divided iron powder to generate heat. They make them thin enough to place under the feet and they work for several hours. Very effective especially when the shoe has a vent hole that needs to be covered.

They work down past sub freezing temps with heavy shoe covers.
I post a link if I find them.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>FWIW, ripstop polyester is better than ripstop nylon, IMO. It's got
>something to do with liking or loathing water, IIRC.

I'd use nylon for this. Polyester is better for kites, but it's less
flexible and I'm not sure about draping it over something as small as
a helmet. They're both reasonably waterproof, on this scale.

I made the upper part from three gores (panels) running in stripes
front to back, with curved seams toput some shape into it. The lower
part was just a horizontal band, with elastic in the hem.
--
Smert' spamionam

"Pete Biggs" <p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JBB wrote:
>> My cycling shoes have suberb ventilation - great when it's hot but
>> otherwise a bit chilly. I use the little neoprene "toe-caps".

> Great idea! I've never seen those before. As well as on their own in
> milder conditions, they might fit underneath my slightly baggy overshoes
> for
> double protection, with a bit of luck. Cheers.
>
> ~PB

Only too pleased to help - I've found your advice good stuff in the past so
hope it works for you.

Julia

"Pete Biggs" <p@melonbiggs{remove fruit}.tc> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I haven't worn my helmet at all for ages now, but winter is not a bad time
> to put it on again. A balaclaa comes in handy anyway.

Scott (and no doubt others) do a rather neat headband made of Lycra
with a thermal backing. Nice and warming (avoids cold, numb ears)
without adverse effects on hearing.

David E. Belcher