Curious about Body Socks

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Ive seen lots of pics of people inside the sock and bikes with socks minus the human. I need someone
    to describe how one gets on or off the bike that is socked.

    Tags:

  2. Bill B wrote:

    > Ive seen lots of pics of people inside the sock and bikes with socks minus the human. I need
    > someone to describe how one gets on or off the bike that is socked.

    You don't. You sit on the bike, then they sew the sock around you, and you stay in there until a new
    sock is needed. Taking showers are a

    Actually, the sock clips onto the rear dropout. You just unclip it on one side, pull it up, sit on
    the bike, put your head through the hole, then pull the sock around you and reach back to clip it
    back in. Reverse the sequence when getting out. If you look at the image at
    http://www.easyracers.com/images/DSC01227.jpg - the neon-green bike on the foreground has the sock
    unclipped, and pulled over the seat.

    Cheers.

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Bill B wrote:

    > Ive seen lots of pics of people inside the sock and bikes with socks minus the human. I need
    > someone to describe how one gets on or off the bike that is socked.

    VERY CAREFULLY. :)

    On an Easy Racers sock, there are reinforced holes in the sock that slip over the protrusions on the
    rear rack near the vicinity of the dropouts. Unhook the sock at this point on one side, duck you
    head under the side of the sock (best done without helmet or glasses on) and through the upper hole,
    put a leg over the frame, reach back and reattach the sock at the dropout, then zip up the top.

    This is actually easy compared to getting into a Lightning F-40.

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  4. I'm curious too, from a SAFETY / navigational point of view. How do you give hand signals or
    communicate (Turn / stop or otherwise signals) to vehicular traffic, when closed up in a body sock?
    EZ (Bicycle Safety Advocate) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ive seen lots of pics of people inside the sock and bikes with socks minus the human. I need
    > someone to describe how one gets on or off the bike that is socked.

  5. "EZ Biker :)" skrev...
    > I'm curious too, from a SAFETY / navigational point of view. How do you give hand signals or
    > communicate (Turn / stop or otherwise signals) to vehicular traffic, when closed up in a
    > body sock?

    Some socks have slits you presumably poke your arms through when signalling. Or open the top zipper
    and stick yer arms up that way.

    Never got around to that on mine so how do those slits stay closed at speed?

    Mikael

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > "EZ Biker :)" skrev...
    > > I'm curious too, from a SAFETY / navigational point of view. How do you give hand signals or
    > > communicate (Turn / stop or otherwise signals) to vehicular traffic, when closed up in a
    > > body sock?
    >
    > Some socks have slits you presumably poke your arms through when signalling. Or open the top
    > zipper and stick yer arms up that way.
    >
    > Never got around to that on mine so how do those slits stay closed at speed?
    >
    > Mikael

    Or you can reach down and poke an arm out from waist level. Drivers freak when you grow arms from
    your hips, though.

    A 'socked Tour Easy is an attention getter any way you slice it. As long as you don't make sudden
    moves, you'll find that other riders/drivers will go out of their way to avoid you.

    Jeff

  7. "Jeff Wills" skrev...
    > A 'socked Tour Easy is an attention getter any way you slice it. As long as you don't make sudden
    > moves, you'll find that other riders/drivers will go out of their way to avoid you.

    Aye, but an 80 dollar fine kinda sucks if the fuzz catches you not signalling.

    Mikael

  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...
    > I'm curious too, from a SAFETY / navigational point of view. How do you give hand signals or
    > communicate (Turn / stop or otherwise signals) to vehicular traffic, when closed up in a body
    > sock? EZ (Bicycle Safety Advocate) Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    I just put my arm out from under the sock. It works well.

    Mike

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:
    > ... Never got around to that on mine so how do those slits stay closed at speed?

    Zipper. [1]

    [1] Not to be confused with Zzipper [TM].

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  10. On my bodysock I just get down on one knee and pull the side out and duck under and up. It is a
    little tricky and it helps to be limber. With practice it gets easier. I don't unhook the sock at
    the rear dropout because the sock is very stretchy. It was made by Melanie who makes most the the
    bodysocks in use. It fits very well but I don't understand why she doesn't put a zipper in the side
    like the F-40 because it would make getting in and out much easier. I also have an F-40 and the
    zipper makes it much easier to get in. You don't have to get down and your knee, you just step in
    and zip up the zipper.

    Carl

  11. Fred

    Fred Guest

    As noted in earlier messages, there are zippers in the sock, purportedly for the purpose of
    signalling. Opening the zipper prior to a turn, I extended my arm, completed the turn and attempted
    to bring my arm inside. The heart rate monitor display and my watch caught on the zipper, tugging on
    the lycra in the direction opposite that desired.

    That was the last time I used that zipper and my new locally made socks have none. It's easy to
    extend over the top or under the side and the motorists seem to see the appendage which
    suddenly appears.