Curious about Velocity Aerohead and Razor rims ...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brady Montz, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Brady Montz

    Brady Montz Guest

    I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.

    I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
    occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
    is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the dice
    with that clicking problem.

    After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
    contenders.

    What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
    heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.

    Finally, any recommendations?

    --
    Brady Montz [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I've had several pair of wheels built with Aeroheads with little to no problems. Haven't tried the
    other rim, so can't comment.

    "Brady Montz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
    >
    > I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
    > occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
    > is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the
    > dice with that clicking problem.
    >
    > After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
    > contenders.
    >
    > What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
    > heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
    >
    > Finally, any recommendations?
    >
    > --
    > Brady Montz [email protected]

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Brady Montz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
    >
    > I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
    > occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
    > is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the
    > dice with that clicking problem.
    >
    > After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
    > contenders.
    >
    > What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
    > heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
    >
    > Finally, any recommendations?
    >
    > --
    > Brady Montz [email protected]

    I have built many wheels with Mavic and Velocity rims. Velocity makes a fine product. Some would say
    that eyelets build a stronger and longer lasting wheel. Eyelets do tend to make the rim/nipple
    interface smoother. Proper lubrication at this interface is very important to attaining proper
    tensioning. Some eyelets make the building process easier, especially if they span the inner to
    outer rim wall, as the nipple can't drop into the rim cavity. Since I use a nipple holder when
    building, this is no longer an issue for
    me.Some think that the "double" eyelet, the one connecting both walls, makes the wheel stronger due
    to those connections. I think a properly designed and installed eyelet can help spread the spoke
    load at the rim.

    I looked at the Velocity site and noticed that they have a new rim: Aero OC for use in the rear. I
    have not used this particular rim, but I like the introduction. I have used other Off Center rims
    for rear wheels. I find that they help make the rear wheel more durable.

    Talk to you builder about the Velocity Aerohead OC for a rear and Velocity Aerohead front.

    If you want to get even stronger and have a single eyelet, talk to you wheel builder about Bontrager
    Fairlane OSB. I built the Bontrager Fairlane front and Bontrager Fairlane OSB rear recently. They
    are about 560 grams per rim.

    If you haven't given up on Mavic, talk to your wheel builder about CXP33. I built these with very
    great success.

    Some think that the larger cross section makes the rim stiffer and able to handle higher spoke
    tension. As long as the higher spoke tension doesn't cause premature rim failure it usually helps
    wheels live longer.

    I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
    discussion.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. Be aware that some of the velocity rims are powdercoated, not anodized and this has (according to
    many) significant advantages.

    Duncan Bourne

    Brady Montz wrote:

    >I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
    >
    >I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
    >occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
    >is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the dice
    >with that clicking problem.
    >
    >After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
    >contenders.
    >
    >What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
    >heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
    >
    >Finally, any recommendations?

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<va0Y9.1043

    > I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
    > discussion.

    No, he won't. He's hoarding the world's supply of Mavic MA-2 36-hole rims and doesn't want anyone
    to know it.

    FWIW: I've built and ridden MA-2 and MA-40 rims. They've held up fine under my 200+ pounds. I now
    use Sun CR-18 rims on my bikes for the extra width and lack of a machined sidewall.

    Jeff

  6. brady-<< I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.

    I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs,

    << What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims?

    Both are pretty light rims so for you I would rec. at least a 36h rear(would have to check to see if
    they come in 36-may not)- Also look at Velocity Deep V and Mavic CXP-33...

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<va0Y9.1043
    > >
    > > I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
    > > discussion.
    > >

    > No, he won't. He's hoarding the world's supply of Mavic MA-2 36-hole rims and doesn't want anyone
    > to know it.
    >
    > FWIW: I've built and ridden MA-2 and MA-40 rims. They've held up fine under my 200+ pounds. I now
    > use Sun CR-18 rims on my bikes for the extra width and lack of a machined sidewall.

    You might also look into the Torelli Master, probably the closest thing to an MA-2 now, and
    reasonably priced too.

    Matt O.

  8. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On 23 Jan 2003 12:19:51 -0800, Brady Montz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
    >
    >I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
    >occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
    >is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the dice
    >with that clicking problem.
    >
    >After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
    >contenders.
    >
    >What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
    >heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
    >
    >Finally, any recommendations?
    I am 195lbs and have around 6K miles on my current Velocity rims. I built them 32 x 3 cross. They
    get pretty beat up on the local roads, but not probmlems or failures due to normal riding.

    cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink