Curious about Velocity Aerohead and Razor rims ...

Brady Montz

Guest
I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.

I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the dice
with that clicking problem.

After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
contenders.

What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.

Finally, any recommendations?

--
Brady Montz [email protected]

I've had several pair of wheels built with Aeroheads with little to no problems. Haven't tried the
other rim, so can't comment.

"Brady Montz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
>
> I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
> occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
> is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the
> dice with that clicking problem.
>
> After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
> contenders.
>
> What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
> heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Finally, any recommendations?
>
> --
> Brady Montz [email protected]

"Brady Montz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
>
> I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
> occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
> is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the
> dice with that clicking problem.
>
> After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
> contenders.
>
> What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
> heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Finally, any recommendations?
>
> --
> Brady Montz [email protected]

I have built many wheels with Mavic and Velocity rims. Velocity makes a fine product. Some would say
that eyelets build a stronger and longer lasting wheel. Eyelets do tend to make the rim/nipple
interface smoother. Proper lubrication at this interface is very important to attaining proper
tensioning. Some eyelets make the building process easier, especially if they span the inner to
outer rim wall, as the nipple can't drop into the rim cavity. Since I use a nipple holder when
building, this is no longer an issue for
me.Some think that the "double" eyelet, the one connecting both walls, makes the wheel stronger due
to those connections. I think a properly designed and installed eyelet can help spread the spoke
load at the rim.

I looked at the Velocity site and noticed that they have a new rim: Aero OC for use in the rear. I
have not used this particular rim, but I like the introduction. I have used other Off Center rims
for rear wheels. I find that they help make the rear wheel more durable.

Talk to you builder about the Velocity Aerohead OC for a rear and Velocity Aerohead front.

If you want to get even stronger and have a single eyelet, talk to you wheel builder about Bontrager
Fairlane OSB. I built the Bontrager Fairlane front and Bontrager Fairlane OSB rear recently. They
are about 560 grams per rim.

If you haven't given up on Mavic, talk to your wheel builder about CXP33. I built these with very
great success.

Some think that the larger cross section makes the rim stiffer and able to handle higher spoke
tension. As long as the higher spoke tension doesn't cause premature rim failure it usually helps
wheels live longer.

I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
discussion.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Be aware that some of the velocity rims are powdercoated, not anodized and this has (according to
many) significant advantages.

Duncan Bourne

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<va0Y9.1043

> I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
> discussion.

No, he won't. He's hoarding the world's supply of Mavic MA-2 36-hole rims and doesn't want anyone
to know it.

FWIW: I've built and ridden MA-2 and MA-40 rims. They've held up fine under my 200+ pounds. I now
use Sun CR-18 rims on my bikes for the extra width and lack of a machined sidewall.

Jeff

brady-<< I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.

I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs,

<< What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims?

Both are pretty light rims so for you I would rec. at least a 36h rear(would have to check to see if
they come in 36-may not)- Also look at Velocity Deep V and Mavic CXP-33...

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<va0Y9.1043
> >
> > I know that Jobst Brandt still likes the old Mavic MA2 rim. Maybe Jobst will weigh in on this
> > discussion.
> >

> No, he won't. He's hoarding the world's supply of Mavic MA-2 36-hole rims and doesn't want anyone
> to know it.
>
> FWIW: I've built and ridden MA-2 and MA-40 rims. They've held up fine under my 200+ pounds. I now
> use Sun CR-18 rims on my bikes for the extra width and lack of a machined sidewall.

You might also look into the Torelli Master, probably the closest thing to an MA-2 now, and
reasonably priced too.

Matt O.

On 23 Jan 2003 12:19:51 -0800, Brady Montz <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm getting a new road bike (yay!) and need to pick some rims.
>
>I want a pair of clincher, non-boutique rims. I'm a strong 200 lbs, and when I get tired to do
>occasionally hit potholes and such, so I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable. My bike shop
>is keen on the Mavic open pros, which is basically what I'd want, but I don't want to roll the dice
>with that clicking problem.
>
>After some poking around, I've decided the Velocity rims (along with the torelli master) are prime
>contenders.
>
>What are the tradeoffs between the aerohead and razor rims? What I see is that the razor is a bit
>heavier, has a box cross section, and is eyeleted. Alas, I'm not sure what that means.
>
>Finally, any recommendations?
I am 195lbs and have around 6K miles on my current Velocity rims. I built them 32 x 3 cross. They
get pretty beat up on the local roads, but not probmlems or failures due to normal riding.

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink