Curious Accident

sea

Nov 2, 2003
I was on my way to work, heading slightly downhill, going fast and following a convertible. The convert driver was going to make a left turn and at the last second, slammed on his brakes. I was too close and going too fast so I hit the back of the car, flew over the trunk and into the back seat. The bike went under the car. The driver was totally startled. He screamed and when he recovered from his surprise yelled - "Where the hell did you come from." He was looking around for whatever I could have fallen from.

I wasn't injured and the driver was very nice about the whole thing. He didn't check his car for damage, though it was my fault & even wanted to drive me to the hospital. It might have been serious but turned out to be a harmless & humorous lesson. I can't help but laugh whenever I think about someone droping into someone's backseat out of nowhere.

Geez that would have given me the fright of my life were I the driver.

How bad was the damage to your bike/his car?

Holy ****, your bike went under his car?! Wow. Glad you're still with us. As to fault, bicycles cannot stop as fast as cars (although I don't know how the new disc brakes do) so it may be nobodies fault if the driver passes and then slams on the brakes, particularly as it begs the question why the driver was passing when he knew he would have to brake again shortly. I used to follow cars very closely too at high speeds although always on the right hand side. Now I have learned and I try to stay a good 10-12 meters behind cars. Unfortunately if there are cars behind they always try and fill up the gap so I typically would end up beside a car riding in Toronto. In Finland the cars actually do this much, much less often and give a lot more space than in Toronto. I like, I like.