Curious to Find Information on a Bicycle

ohboymyo

Sep 2, 2006
First off, I would like to say hi! I am brand new to the forum, and though I don't entirely plan on becoming a very serious biker, I do enjoy biking to get around the suburbs.

The other day, my friends and I were at a grocery store and we found a bicycle disconnected from the bike rack with a missing wheel, a bent to heck back wheel, and bent handlebars. I took the bike for myself to see if I could fix it.

When I got home I looked at the brand and I saw "Iron Horse" and the model name is seemingly at-30. I cannot find any information about this bicycle on google! Please, if anybody knows of this bike help me find information.

And if those of you are curious, I plan on replacing the brakes, the chain (is very rusted), obviously the 2 wheels and handlebars just to make it drivable so if you guys have any ideas for cheap but somewhat good quality parts please advise :D. Thank you cycling forums! I plan on updating you on my little fix up project!

Sold in Australia through REBEL SPORT I believe.

I remember seeing them in the REBEL SPORT catalogue...

They are generic bits with Iron Horse sticker...

Oh poo, I was hoping it would be a good quality iron horse bicycle. Oh well! It was free! Thank you for the information.

ohboymyo said:
Oh poo, I was hoping it would be a good quality iron horse bicycle. Oh well! It was free! Thank you for the information.

I just saw in an ad in last weekend's paper from the Sports Authority, aka Sportmart. They had a new Iron Horse bike on sale for $300. I have not seen this brand in any reputable bike shop in California, and this warehouse-style chain does not carry many brands or equipment that a serious cyclist would be much interested in.

Your LBS will have the parts you need. Doesn't matter if they sell that bike or not.

ohboymyo said:
First off, I would like to say hi! I am brand new to the forum, and though I don't entirely plan on becoming a very serious biker, I do enjoy biking to get around the suburbs.

The other day, my friends and I were at a grocery store and we found a bicycle disconnected from the bike rack with a missing wheel, a bent to heck back wheel, and bent handlebars. I took the bike for myself to see if I could fix it.

When I got home I looked at the brand and I saw "Iron Horse" and the model name is seemingly at-30. I cannot find any information about this bicycle on google! Please, if anybody knows of this bike help me find information.

And if those of you are curious, I plan on replacing the brakes, the chain (is very rusted), obviously the 2 wheels and handlebars just to make it drivable so if you guys have any ideas for cheap but somewhat good quality parts please advise :D. Thank you cycling forums! I plan on updating you on my little fix up project!
You mean you stole it?

ohboymyo said:

You mean you stole it?

Well....Kind of? The bike is so beat, I expect a car must've hit it. The only thing intact really is the frame.

Now under further inspection, I have to replace the shifters as well. I am glad I know a friend who builds bikes for fun o.o. I expect this project might be expensive for a teenager....

Sorry to beat a dead horse here....

But you stole a bicycle from a bike rack, although admittely it wasn't locked. You still stole it.

yeah thats border line theft, although the bike sounds pretty much useless so maybe it was abandoned. so instead of a master bike thief, you are a good citizen who saved the city a few dollars by picking it up your self and restoring it.

ohboymyo said:
Well....Kind of? The bike is so beat, I expect a car must've hit it. The only thing intact really is the frame.

Now under further inspection, I have to replace the shifters as well. I am glad I know a friend who builds bikes for fun o.o. I expect this project might be expensive for a teenager....
you might try looking for other "junk" bikes for parts. Near me there is a guy that "sells" junkyard bikes that as such aren't worth much but I bought a couple of ladies road bikes and converted an old Raleigh MTB bike into a "roadie"...

cost: 20.00

the only things I changed on the mtb were the handlebars, shifters, and brakes. Even though the tires are slicks, it is still not as nimble as my road bike, but it is also more stable in inclement weather.

DaemonLee said:
Sorry to beat a dead horse here....

But you stole a bicycle from a bike rack, although admittely it wasn't locked. You still stole it.
oh please! You could look at it that way but what value would you place on that bike? with an obvious rusted chain and missing pieces, it really seems to say "abandoned". I have never left a bike at a store for multiple days in order to get parts to fix it. Have you?

I do agree I stole it, but I do also believe it was abondoned. When we returned to the rack, the wheel that was there before was still there. I don't think the grocery store entirely minds that it was taken, but yeah I did steal it.

Thanks for the ideas, I plan to wait until garage sale season or ask my friends for any bikes they aren't using. I do believe I'll have to be buying some good wheels though. It seems the wheels will be the most expensive part to replace.

Oh and it seems odd that it's from an Australian outdoors company. I live in the US, and though it's possible, I don't believe that an Iron Horse America bicycle was bought in Australia and then brought here.

But it's also possible it was sold here before, then you saw it, and told me this information. Sorry should've brought that up sooner :D. You could be right, I am just skeptical.

The most creative way to dispose of an old useless bike: park it in a public bike rack and walk away. See how long it takes to get 'stolen' - amazing fun!

Good luck ohboymyo, you have a frame that is unique and with a name like iron horse it's gotta be a choppa.