Current Delta Airlines Bike Rules

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Lyndon, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    I just received this from Delta Airlines:

    Delta accepts single seta non-motorized tour/racing bicycles. The handlebars must be fixed sideways,
    with the pedals removed or in cardboard container. For international travel to Europe, a bike is not
    included in the free baggage allowance. The charge to check the bike $90.00 each way.

    That takes Delta off my list of airlines that I will fly. I am currently waiting on feedback from
    American, KLM, USAir, Continental, United and Northwest. I have a bad feeling that Delta's "new
    rules" may be adopted by more airlines. Lyndon

    Tags:

  2. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    That's been standard policy at many airlines for a long time. If you are gorgeous and charming
    and the ticket agent is in a good mood and you play it right, you can sometimes get them to
    skip the fee.

    Sj (who always has to pay the fee :( )

  3. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > That's been standard policy at many airlines for a long time. If you are gorgeous and charming
    > and the ticket agent is in a good mood and you play it right, you can sometimes get them to skip
    > the fee.
    >
    > Sj (who always has to pay the fee :( )

    Just the summer before last, I flew to Alaska with my DF bike, and made sure that I flew with an
    airline that would not charge me the extra biking fee. I am finding out this spring, that almost all
    the major airlines flying out of Salt Lake City, are now dismissing the "bikes fly free" as luggage
    for international travel. Delta being the worst at sticking the price at $90 to $100 each way. I
    used to be a member of the League of American Bicyclists for years, but found their own "Bikes Fly
    Free" program to not be worth much. You had to book with their travel agency, and I could always
    find on my own better flight times, and airlines that were quite a bit cheaper, with the bike as
    luggage policy. Never flew with their approved travel agency. I also don't think they were ever
    effective as a lobby group for better bike acceptance on airlines. With an Evolution Rocket, just
    announced by Calhoun Cycles, with S&S couplers, going for $2200, I just can't see that price cost as
    well, though I do understand that if you fly five international trips, it has "paid for itself".
    Airlines need to be more flexible with this. I am also worried about a posting that trains in the
    Netherlands will only accept two bikes per trip, and most reservations for summer travel are already
    full. This was a bad thing three summers ago, while I was touring Germany, and there was so many
    bikers. Several times I had to wait for the second, or third train coming through, run like hell,
    with my loaded bike, and beat other bikers fighting for the last few berths to put your bicycle. As
    a teacher, I may request a full year school soon, so I don't always have to face this madness during
    the summer months. Lyndon Salt Lake City, where the snow is gone, and it is a balmy 65 degrees!