Current production freewheels?

lectraplayer

May 11, 2014
I'm having to go through several older bikes I like and replace freewheels that have worn. I'm thinking about going with a 7 speed Shimano MegaRange-type (which must be ordered) unless I'm changing the whole wheel. I am having a tough time making up my mind on what to use with this one, but I'm starting to lean toward an 8 speed SRAM freehub. Either way, I'm wanting something that will stay in production until the futuristic glider bikes become viable (which may be awhile). Either way, I'm wanting insane range (about 40 to 10 teeth sounds right) but don't care so much about each step. I still want each step as even as possible to the others. What would be best for my US Dollar?

FWIW. I believe that the "range" you want is unrealistic ... While things may have changed since the last time I shopped for a multi-gear Freewheel, I believe that a 13t Cog is smallest size you should expect on a normal Freewheel. Similarly, while there may be a Freewheel with a Cog which is larger than 32t, you will need a derailleur which can function with whatever you get ... so, a 34t Cog may be problematic with whatever rear derailleur is on your bikes. Regardless, you should probably just look for a 13-32 or a 13-34 ([COLOR=808080]if the latter exists[/COLOR]) Freewheel ... BTW. If you want EITHER an 8-speed "Freewheel" OR a larger-than-34t Cog, then you should probably re-lace the rear wheel's rim onto a Shimano/-compatible Freehub.

A shimaNO Mega will be dirt cheap compared to a NOS Suntour Winner 12-32: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Suntour-Winner-Ultra-7-Speed-Freewheel-12x32-w-Silver-Finish-/271710073246

Suntour and a couple other outfits built 12T freewhweels for a short period before cassettes started to rule the earth. Some used a 12T that threaded onto the next gear and some used a paired gear.

Getting a 12-34 or a 12-whatever-huge-pieplate-gear will take a custom build up from a base freewheel unit and some extra gears, perhaps from another freewheel or two.

I agree with the cassette/freehub conversion if possible.

While I figured the 10-40 range was extreme, it does give an idea what I'm after. I'll take what I can get. My question is "what can I get. I'm seeing a lot of 13-27 freewheels, which I'm shifting to 13-32's for now. However, my searching is also kicking up the phrases "freewheels are being phased out" and "parts are (being) discontinued." Since I'm finding mentions that anything over 8 speeds requires narrower spacing, and chains, one of my questions is how many speeds will continue to be the most popular. I never paid attention to this until I found out about a possible rarity of the freewheels I use now. If I break a shifter, for example, what will I be able to find later on?

Freewheels can still be found, but only on cheap, big-box store bikes or the lowest of the low end models of a few 'name' manufacturers. Freewheels will not evaporate anytime soon, but why invest in them at all, other than as the cheapest direct replacement item going?

Bicycle components used to have a life cycle measured in decades. A 1972 Campy Record rear gear was still being sold with only cosmetic updates into the late 1980's. I'm still safely riding Cinelli handlebars made in the early 1970's.

Today...products that go five years are considered antiques.

Finding your obsolete shifters? eBay or some long-forgotten drawer in the back of the LBS may be your best shot. Very, very few resellers will stock 8-speed SIS antennae wire shift levers in the 11-speed era even 'if' the manufacturer is still producing and shipping them.

All that aside, if riding and wrenching on your older bikes and components puts a smile on your face, by all means have at it. The parts ARE still available in the here and now. Stock up on components when you find them at a reasonable price. Planning ahead a bit will pay dividends.

While I do like fiddling with my old bike, I asked what the current trend is. I never claimed I wanted 8 speed SIS. However I do have, and like 6 and 7 speed SIS. Again, what is most common?

No, but you stated: "...but I'm starting to lean toward an 8 speed SRAM freehub."

"Either way, I'm wanting something that will stay in production until the futuristic glider bikes become viable (which may be awhile)."

In 2012-2013 Sunrace cataloged 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 speed freewheels. Currently, their website lists only a single 9-speed unit. shimaNo's website lists no freewheel of any gear count, but there seems to be plenty of them in stock at resellers and on the market. How long any freewheel will be produced is anyone's guess.

In my area, the big box stores seem to offer more 14-speed and 21-speed bikes, so maybe the 7 speed freewheel is the more popular of the two.

What is a futuristic glider bike, anyway?

ambal said:
Why not just upgrade your wheelset?
That is part of what I'm looking at doing. The rim is the easy part of my decision. I want to make sure once I make the upgrade, I haven't screwed myself by picking something that is on its way out, and won't have parts available as I wish to change worn parts out.

I'm seeing the casettes being discontinued as well, but they're still easy to find. Is it all new old stock now?

ambal said:
Why not just upgrade your wheelset?
That is part of what I'm looking at doing. The rim is the easy part of my decision. I want to make sure once I make the upgrade, I haven't screwed myself by picking something that is on its way out, and won't have parts available as I wish to change worn parts out.

I'm seeing the casettes being discontinued as well, but they're still easy to find. Is it all new old stock now?