curry without rice

Skinny

Guest
Managed it!

At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.

The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to start
with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That worked,
the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry anyway
so I didn't need rice with the meat.

So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!

Skinny

Skinny wrote:
> Managed it!
>
> At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
> rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
>
> The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to start
> with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That worked,
> the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
> mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry anyway
> so I didn't need rice with the meat.
>
> So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
>

> Skinny

If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

Xtile wrote:

> Skinny wrote:
>
>> Managed it!
>>
>> At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
>> rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
>> The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to
>> start
>> with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That
>> worked,
>> the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
>> mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry
>> anyway
>> so I didn't need rice with the meat.
>>
>> So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
>>

>> Skinny

> If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
> color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

Coconut cream has one of the highest saturated fat ratios of any food.
Might taste ok, but not a good thing to eat if you are already
increasing fat ratios in a low carb diet. Coconut oil for cooking is in
the same category, 87% saturated fat. If there was ever an oil to avoid,
coconut oil would be the one.

Regards
'
David

--

To email me, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject line.

All other mail is automatically deleted.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:33:44 +0700, Xtile wrote:

> Skinny wrote:
> > Managed it!
> >
> > At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway.

The
> > rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
> >
> > The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to

start
> > with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That

worked,
> > the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
> > mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry

anyway
> > so I didn't need rice with the meat.
> >
> > So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
> >

> > Skinny

> If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
> color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

Basic "red curry" I think. It had fresh basil leaves in it, and what I'm
pretty sure was 'curry leaf'. Plus whatever had turned it red, well, sort of
marbelized with dots of red oil floating on it. Tasted like the sort of red
chili in Santa Fe enchiladas.

Iirc the menu listed Red Curry, Green Curry, Yellow Curry, Panang Curry.

It was probably made with coconut milk.

Didn't show a spike on my BG meter, tho I did get quite sleepy in the
afternoon.

Skinny

Skinny wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:33:44 +0700, Xtile wrote:

> Basic "red curry" I think. It had fresh basil leaves in it, and what I'm
> pretty sure was 'curry leaf'. Plus whatever had turned it red, well, sort of
> marbelized with dots of red oil floating on it. Tasted like the sort of red
> chili in Santa Fe enchiladas.
>
> Iirc the menu listed Red Curry, Green Curry, Yellow Curry, Panang Curry.
>
> It was probably made with coconut milk.
>
> Didn't show a spike on my BG meter, tho I did get quite sleepy in the
> afternoon.
>

> Skinny

Sounds like "gang Penang" - fairly low carb, though traditionally they
add some palm sugar to it....

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:53:40 +0000, Ada Ma
<[email protected]> wrote:

> J. David Anderson wrote:
>
>> Coconut cream has one of the highest saturated fat ratios of any food.
>> Might taste ok, but not a good thing to eat if you are already
>> increasing fat ratios in a low carb diet. Coconut oil for cooking is in
>> the same category, 87% saturated fat. If there was ever an oil to
>> avoid, coconut oil would be the one.
>> Regards
>> '
>> David

Moreover, some people say that saturated fat is good and polyunsaturated
bad.

--
Bob in CT