curry without rice

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skinny, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    Managed it!

    At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
    rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.

    The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to start
    with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That worked,
    the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
    mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry anyway
    so I didn't need rice with the meat.

    So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!

    Skinny

    Tags:

  2. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    Skinny wrote:
    > Managed it!
    >
    > At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
    > rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
    >
    > The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to start
    > with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That worked,
    > the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
    > mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry anyway
    > so I didn't need rice with the meat.
    >
    > So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
    >

    > Skinny

    If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
    color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

  3. Xtile wrote:

    > Skinny wrote:
    >
    >> Managed it!
    >>
    >> At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway. The
    >> rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
    >> The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to
    >> start
    >> with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That
    >> worked,
    >> the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
    >> mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry
    >> anyway
    >> so I didn't need rice with the meat.
    >>
    >> So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
    >>

    >> Skinny

    > If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
    > color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

    Coconut cream has one of the highest saturated fat ratios of any food.
    Might taste ok, but not a good thing to eat if you are already
    increasing fat ratios in a low carb diet. Coconut oil for cooking is in
    the same category, 87% saturated fat. If there was ever an oil to avoid,
    coconut oil would be the one.

    Regards
    '
    David

    --

    To email me, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject line.

    All other mail is automatically deleted.

  4. Skinny

    Skinny Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:33:44 +0700, Xtile wrote:

    > Skinny wrote:
    > > Managed it!
    > >
    > > At the Thai resaturant they bring the rice in a separate bowl anyway.

    The
    > > rice didn't look very good, a bit wet and maybe not fully cooked.
    > >
    > > The curry had cauliflower and zucchini chunks in it. So I decided to

    start
    > > with the cauliflower instead of the rice, then the zucchini.... That

    worked,
    > > the veg didn't have curry sauce all the way thorugh, so they were a good
    > > mild contrast. After I ran out of veg, my mouth was used to the curry

    anyway
    > > so I didn't need rice with the meat.
    > >
    > > So I got through the whole meal without a bit of rice!
    > >

    > > Skinny

    > If it's a curry made with coconut cream, it'll be pretty low carb. What
    > color was the curry? do you know in Thai what the name was?

    Basic "red curry" I think. It had fresh basil leaves in it, and what I'm
    pretty sure was 'curry leaf'. Plus whatever had turned it red, well, sort of
    marbelized with dots of red oil floating on it. Tasted like the sort of red
    chili in Santa Fe enchiladas.

    Iirc the menu listed Red Curry, Green Curry, Yellow Curry, Panang Curry.

    It was probably made with coconut milk.

    Didn't show a spike on my BG meter, tho I did get quite sleepy in the
    afternoon.

    Skinny

  5. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    Skinny wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:33:44 +0700, Xtile wrote:

    > Basic "red curry" I think. It had fresh basil leaves in it, and what I'm
    > pretty sure was 'curry leaf'. Plus whatever had turned it red, well, sort of
    > marbelized with dots of red oil floating on it. Tasted like the sort of red
    > chili in Santa Fe enchiladas.
    >
    > Iirc the menu listed Red Curry, Green Curry, Yellow Curry, Panang Curry.
    >
    > It was probably made with coconut milk.
    >
    > Didn't show a spike on my BG meter, tho I did get quite sleepy in the
    > afternoon.
    >

    > Skinny

    Sounds like "gang Penang" - fairly low carb, though traditionally they
    add some palm sugar to it....

  6. Bob Mauri

    Bob Mauri Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:53:40 +0000, Ada Ma
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > J. David Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Coconut cream has one of the highest saturated fat ratios of any food.
    >> Might taste ok, but not a good thing to eat if you are already
    >> increasing fat ratios in a low carb diet. Coconut oil for cooking is in
    >> the same category, 87% saturated fat. If there was ever an oil to
    >> avoid, coconut oil would be the one.
    >> Regards
    >> '
    >> David

    Moreover, some people say that saturated fat is good and polyunsaturated
    bad.

    --
    Bob in CT