Curses foiled

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    damn kids.

    Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up all
    winter in a huge mess of cables and locks to a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before
    my ride, I go out to get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...shit... I dump out the kids
    gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller blades and elbow pads but it's not to
    be found. Now, there is another key but it lives on his key ring which was at his office with him,
    naturally. So no ride.

    Rats. There's always tomorrow.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > damn kids.
    >
    > Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
    > all winter in a huge mess of cables and locks
    > a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
    > get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...shit... I dump out the kids gear bucket
    > thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller blades and elbow pads but it's not to be found.
    > Now, there is another key but it lives on his key ring which was at his office with him,
    > naturally. So no ride.
    >
    > Rats. There's always tomorrow.
    >
    > Penny

    Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up behind my apartment. Once all the
    moving duties were done and I was ready to ride I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys.
    I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all sorts of unknown crap but no keys for the chain. I
    searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked the neighbors for tools ... but no one had anything
    useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I went to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair
    of boltcutters ;)

    Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > damn kids.
    > >
    > > Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
    > > all winter in a huge mess of cables and
    locks
    > > a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
    > > get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...shit... I dump out
    the
    > > kids gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller
    blades
    > > and elbow pads but it's not to be found. Now, there is another key but
    it
    > > lives on his key ring which was at his office with him, naturally. So no ride.
    > >
    > > Rats. There's always tomorrow.
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >

    > Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
    behind
    > my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
    ride
    > I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
    > sorts of unknown crap but no keys for the chain. I searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked
    > the neighbors for tools ...
    but
    > no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
    went
    > to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
    >
    > Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless

    Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....

    Andy Chequer

  4. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:52:54 -0000, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote:

    >"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > damn kids.
    >> >
    >> > Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
    >> > all winter in a huge mess of cables and
    >locks
    >> > a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
    >> > get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...shit... I dump out
    >the
    >> > kids gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller
    >blades
    >> > and elbow pads but it's not to be found. Now, there is another key but
    >it
    >> > lives on his key ring which was at his office with him, naturally. So no ride.
    >> >
    >> > Rats. There's always tomorrow.
    >> >
    >> > Penny
    >> >

    >> Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
    >behind
    >> my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
    >ride
    >> I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
    >> sorts of unknown crap but no keys for the chain. I searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked
    >> the neighbors for tools ...
    >but
    >> no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
    >went
    >> to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
    >>
    >> Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless
    >
    >Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    >
    >Andy Chequer

    I can recommend them highly. :)

    Dave

  5. I've gotten all the way to the parking-lot, to _LEAD_ a group ride, got my shoes and helmet and
    gloves on, went to take my bike down off the rack atop the car, only to find I left the keys to the
    rack at home..

    We ended up doing a night ride that evening ;-)

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote
    :>> Boltcutters $20
    >> Bike ride - priceless
    >
    > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge looking
    for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him
    motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not
    for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at least 4 of them holding 6
    bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.

    Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
    1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is
    that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate
    the dang thing?

    why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
    the course.

    Penny

  7. "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Andy Chequer wrote
    > :>> Boltcutters $20
    > >> Bike ride - priceless
    > >
    > > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    > >
    > > Andy Chequer
    >
    > yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the
    whole
    > fricking gararge looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock...
    it's
    > hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got
    > over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not for
    > 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at
    least
    > 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
    >
    > Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
    > 1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they
    have
    > at the rental center. Is that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find
    > someone really big tooperate the dang thing?

    Angle grinder?

    > why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and
    > want to pre-ride the course.
    >
    > Penny

    You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m under
    >> orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even going to
    >> work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
    >>

    > Angle grinder?

    Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man tools....canI rent one of those?

    >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride the
    >> course.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >
    > You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!

    Not if it's my very first race ever...right?

    Penny

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
    > >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
    > >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
    > >> thing?
    > >>

    > > Angle grinder?

    > Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man
    tools....canI
    > rent one of those?

    The angle grinder is a prince amongst power tools. Because it cuts by abrasion rather than by
    physically breaking the metal (like the bolt cutters) it cares not how strong the metal is, because
    the carborundum disc is harder. By way of example, a lock that I'd tried to hacksaw for 20 minutes
    with a bimetal blade only to polish the surface a bit, was cut through in a couple of seconds with
    the grinder.

    Your rental centre will have either 4 1/2" or 9" grinders in stock - my advice will be to go for the
    4 1/2 as its all you'll need and more manageable by a mile. Wear eye protection (as sparks can be
    nasty) and ear protection (as tinnitus is not good either - grinders are very noisy in enclosed
    spaces). I've never used bolt cutters on anything like that personally but I can't see it being more
    effective - most likely it'll blunt the jaws unless your technique is perfect.

    Go with the grinder. It's the right tool for the job.

    > >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
    > >> the course.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >
    > > You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!
    >
    > Not if it's my very first race ever...right?

    I hope you have more fun racing than I did. Being a "get off now and then and admire the view" kinda
    rider, I found racing against the grain. But have fun Pen ;-)

    Andy Chequer

  11. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
    > behind
    > > my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
    > ride
    > > I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
    > > sorts of unknown crap but no keys for the chain.
    > > searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked the neighbors for tools ...
    > but
    > > no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
    > went
    > > to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
    > >
    > > Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless
    >
    > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    >
    > Andy Chequer

    Hmmm ... splendid idea! Okay, I'm now open for business. I keep 50% of whatever I collect.

    ~CG 5'4", armed with boltcutters

  12. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Andy Chequer wrote
    > :>> Boltcutters $20
    > >> Bike ride - priceless
    > >
    > > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    > >
    > > Andy Chequer
    >
    > yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the
    whole
    > fricking gararge looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock...
    it's
    > hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got
    > over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not for
    > 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at
    least
    > 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
    >
    > Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
    > 1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they
    have
    > at the rental center. Is that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find
    > someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
    >
    > why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and
    > want to pre-ride the course.
    >
    > Penny

    How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables
    like butter.

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:
    >> Andy Chequer wrote
    >>>
    >>> Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
    >>>
    >>> Andy Chequer
    >>
    >> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge
    >> looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2"
    >> hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the options.
    >> Locksmith...not for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at least
    >> 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
    >>
    >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m under
    >> orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even going to
    >> work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
    >>
    >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride the
    >> course.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>
    > How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables
    > like butter.

    not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got an
    4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental center. Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real
    brave about manhandleing a power tools that makes big cuts.

    Penny

  14. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Cinder Girl wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Andy Chequer wrote

    > >> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge
    > >> looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2"
    > >> hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the
    > >> options. Locksmith...not for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There
    > >> are at least 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt
    > >> cutter it is.
    > >>
    > >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
    > >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
    > >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
    > >> thing?
    > >>
    > >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
    > >> the course.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >>
    > > How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables like
    > > butter.
    >
    > not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got
    > an 4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental
    center.
    > Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real brave about manhandleing
    > power tools that makes big cuts.
    >
    > Penny

    This reminds me of some choose your own adventure mystery.

    You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
    ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
    single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

  15. John G

    John G Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:

    >>not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got
    >>an 4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental
    >
    > center.
    >
    >>Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real brave about manhandleing

    >>power tools that makes big cuts.

    An angle-grinder with a cut-off wheel is _surprisingly_ easy to use. Just be sure to wear eye and
    hearing protection

    > You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
    > ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
    > single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

    "Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    John G wrote:

    >> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
    >> ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
    >> single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?
    >

    > "Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"

    Feck it. Offer him a bj and keep the truck ;)

  17. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:

    > This reminds me of some choose your own adventure mystery.
    >
    > You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
    > ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
    > single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

    Hmmm. Stick the gum wrapper in the keyhole, rub toothpaste on the bars as lubricant to facilitate
    squeezing out, locate the truck...

    Wait...

    Is the guard a guy?

    Never mind, then... The toothpaste, gum wrapper and truck keys are superfluous.

    Kathleen

  18. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
    > >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
    > >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
    > >> thing?
    > >>

    > > Angle grinder?
    >

    > Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man tools....canI rent one of those?
    > >
    > >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
    > >> the course.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >
    > > You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!
    >
    > Not if it's my very first race ever...right?
    >
    > Penny

    A basic Dremel with fiber cutoff wheel should do the trick as well. Reasonable price and usefull
    around the house in the future.

  19. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > John G wrote:
    >
    > >> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and
    the
    > >> keys to your ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your
    door
    > >> when you peep though the keyhole. The single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?
    > >

    > > "Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"
    >
    > Feck it. Offer him a bj and keep the truck ;)

    Guessing that's what the toothpaste is for. ;^)

  20. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    hey what are friends and acquaintances for?

    I called a Dad of one of my kid's friends for some trail info He's new to town but has connections
    and does a lot of riding. I jokingly mentioned the lock dilemma and he showed up with carbide bladed
    reciprocal saw. Can't be without your bike can you? Of course, now I have to show him some of my
    rides that he doesn't know... <g>

    Penny