Curses foiled

Penny S.

Guest
damn kids.

Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up all
winter in a huge mess of cables and locks to a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before
my ride, I go out to get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...****... I dump out the kids
gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller blades and elbow pads but it's not to
be found. Now, there is another key but it lives on his key ring which was at his office with him,
naturally. So no ride.

Rats. There's always tomorrow.

Penny

> damn kids.
>
> Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
> all winter in a huge mess of cables and locks
> a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
> get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...****... I dump out the kids gear bucket
> thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller blades and elbow pads but it's not to be found.
> Now, there is another key but it lives on his key ring which was at his office with him,
> naturally. So no ride.
>
> Rats. There's always tomorrow.
>
> Penny

Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up behind my apartment. Once all the
moving duties were done and I was ready to ride I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys.
I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all sorts of unknown **** but no keys for the chain. I
searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked the neighbors for tools ... but no one had anything
useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I went to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair
of boltcutters ;)

Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > damn kids.
> >
> > Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
> > all winter in a huge mess of cables and
locks
> > a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
> > get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...****... I dump out
the
> > kids gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller
blades
> > and elbow pads but it's not to be found. Now, there is another key but
it
> > lives on his key ring which was at his office with him, naturally. So no ride.
> >
> > Rats. There's always tomorrow.
> >
> > Penny
> >

> Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
behind
> my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
ride
> I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
> sorts of unknown **** but no keys for the chain. I searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked
> the neighbors for tools ...
but
> no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
went
> to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
>
> Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless

Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....

Andy Chequer

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:52:54 -0000, "Andy Chequer"
<andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote:

>"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > damn kids.
>> >
>> > Today is *the* day.. take the bike out YAY drying out warming up... Hubby keeps them chained up
>> > all winter in a huge mess of cables and
>locks
>> > a big support pole in the garage. About an hour before my ride, I go out
>> > get the key off it's hidden hook and its.....gone...****... I dump out
>the
>> > kids gear bucket thinking that the key has fallen amidst the roller
>blades
>> > and elbow pads but it's not to be found. Now, there is another key but
>it
>> > lives on his key ring which was at his office with him, naturally. So no ride.
>> >
>> > Rats. There's always tomorrow.
>> >
>> > Penny
>> >

>> Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
>behind
>> my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
>ride
>> I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
>> sorts of unknown **** but no keys for the chain. I searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked
>> the neighbors for tools ...
>but
>> no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
>went
>> to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
>>
>> Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless
>
>Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
>
>Andy Chequer

I can recommend them highly. :)

Dave

I've gotten all the way to the parking-lot, to _LEAD_ a group ride, got my shoes and helmet and
gloves on, went to take my bike down off the rack atop the car, only to find I left the keys to the
rack at home..

We ended up doing a night ride that evening ;-)

Andy Chequer wrote
:>> Boltcutters $20
>> Bike ride - priceless
>
> Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
>
> Andy Chequer

yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge looking
for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him
motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not
for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at least 4 of them holding 6
bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.

Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is
that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate
the dang thing?

why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
the course.

Penny

> Andy Chequer wrote
> :>> Boltcutters $20
> >> Bike ride - priceless
> >
> > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
> >
> > Andy Chequer
>
> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the
whole
> fricking gararge looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock...
it's
> hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got
> over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not for
> 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at
least
> 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
>
> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
> 1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they
have
> at the rental center. Is that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find
> someone really big tooperate the dang thing?

Angle grinder?

> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and
> want to pre-ride the course.
>
> Penny

You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!

spademan o---[) * wrote:
>> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m under
>> orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even going to
>> work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
>>

> Angle grinder?

Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man tools....canI rent one of those?

>> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride the
>> course.
>>
>> Penny
>
> You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!

Not if it's my very first race ever...right?

Penny

> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
> >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
> >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
> >> thing?
> >>

> > Angle grinder?

> Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man
tools....canI
> rent one of those?

The angle grinder is a prince amongst power tools. Because it cuts by abrasion rather than by
physically breaking the metal (like the bolt cutters) it cares not how strong the metal is, because
the carborundum disc is harder. By way of example, a lock that I'd tried to hacksaw for 20 minutes
with a bimetal blade only to polish the surface a bit, was cut through in a couple of seconds with
the grinder.

Your rental centre will have either 4 1/2" or 9" grinders in stock - my advice will be to go for the
4 1/2 as its all you'll need and more manageable by a mile. Wear eye protection (as sparks can be
nasty) and ear protection (as tinnitus is not good either - grinders are very noisy in enclosed
spaces). I've never used bolt cutters on anything like that personally but I can't see it being more
effective - most likely it'll blunt the jaws unless your technique is perfect.

Go with the grinder. It's the right tool for the job.

> >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
> >> the course.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >
> > You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!
>
> Not if it's my very first race ever...right?

I hope you have more fun racing than I did. Being a "get off now and then and admire the view" kinda
rider, I found racing against the grain. But have fun Pen ;-)

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Arrrrggg!!! How irritating! When I moved last I chained my bike up
> behind
> > my apartment. Once all the moving duties were done and I was ready to
> ride
> > I went to the drawer where I *swear* I put the keys. I had keys to the U-lock and keys to all
> > sorts of unknown **** but no keys for the chain.
> > searched, I swore, I searched again, I asked the neighbors for tools ...
> but
> > no one had anything useful and I only have a few basics. Finally, I
> went
> > to the hardware store and I now own a fine pair of boltcutters ;)
> >
> > Boltcutters $20 Bike ride - priceless
>
> Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
>
> Andy Chequer

Hmmm ... splendid idea! Okay, I'm now open for business. I keep 50% of whatever I collect.

~CG 5'4", armed with boltcutters

> Andy Chequer wrote
> :>> Boltcutters $20
> >> Bike ride - priceless
> >
> > Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
> >
> > Andy Chequer
>
> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the
whole
> fricking gararge looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock...
it's
> hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got
> over that seeing the options. Locksmith...not for
> 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at
least
> 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
>
> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a
> 1/2" hasp... I"m under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they
have
> at the rental center. Is that even going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find
> someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
>
> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and
> want to pre-ride the course.
>
> Penny

How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables
like butter.

Cinder Girl wrote:
>> Andy Chequer wrote
>>>
>>> Boltcutters good for collecting debts too. You could diversify.....
>>>
>>> Andy Chequer
>>
>> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge
>> looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2"
>> hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the options.
>> Locksmith...not for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There are at least
>> 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt cutter it is.
>>
>> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m under
>> orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even going to
>> work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang thing?
>>
>> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride the
>> course.
>>
>> Penny
>>
> How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables
> like butter.

not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got an
4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental center. Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real
brave about manhandleing a power tools that makes big cuts.

Penny

> Cinder Girl wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Andy Chequer wrote

> >> yes bolt cutter is it... turns out there is no other key, cleaned the whole fricking gararge
> >> looking for it. Hubby has an attchmetn to this lock... it's hardened stainless with a 1/2"
> >> hasp...from him motorcycle that he owned in high school. But he got over that seeing the
> >> options. Locksmith...not for a 25 year old lock no matter how special. Cut the cables? There
> >> are at least 4 of them holding 6 bikes in a threaded mess, all going into the hasp. So bolt
> >> cutter it is.
> >>
> >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
> >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
> >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
> >> thing?
> >>
> >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
> >> the course.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >>
> > How did it go Penny? The boltcutters are really easy to operate and will cut through cables like
> > butter.
>
> not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got
> an 4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental
center.
> Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real brave about manhandleing
> power tools that makes big cuts.
>
> Penny

This reminds me of some choose your own adventure mystery.

You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

Cinder Girl wrote:

>>not allowed to cut the cables, that would be the easy solution. Per Dr. Chequer's advice I've got
>>an 4.5" angle cutter on hold at the rental
>
> center.
>
>>Hubby will deal with it tonight unless I get real brave about manhandleing

>>power tools that makes big cuts.

An angle-grinder with a cut-off wheel is _surprisingly_ easy to use. Just be sure to wear eye and
hearing protection

> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
> ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
> single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

"Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"

John G wrote:

>> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
>> ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
>> single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?
>

> "Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"

Feck it. Offer him a bj and keep the truck ;)

Cinder Girl wrote:

> This reminds me of some choose your own adventure mystery.
>
> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and the keys to your
> ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your door when you peep though the keyhole. The
> single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?

Hmmm. Stick the gum wrapper in the keyhole, rub toothpaste on the bars as lubricant to facilitate
squeezing out, locate the truck...

Wait...

Is the guard a guy?

Never mind, then... The toothpaste, gum wrapper and truck keys are superfluous.

Kathleen

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> spademan o---[) * wrote:
> >> Andy.. this is where you come in.. this lock is hardened stainless with a 1/2" hasp... I"m
> >> under orders to pick up the bigggest bolt cutter they have at the rental center. Is that even
> >> going to work? Make sure it's been sharpened lately?Find someone really big tooperate the dang
> >> thing?
> >>

> > Angle grinder?
>

> Oh great now we are getting into teh realm of esoteric he-man tools....canI rent one of those?
> >
> >> why I'm really annoyed is that there is a fun little race this weekend and I want to pre-ride
> >> the course.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >
> > You want to pre-ride a fun race, isn't that like cheating!
>
> Not if it's my very first race ever...right?
>
> Penny

A basic Dremel with fiber cutoff wheel should do the trick as well. Reasonable price and usefull
around the house in the future.

> John G wrote:
>
> >> You are in a locked room. You have a gum wrapper, some toothpaste and
the
> >> keys to your ex-boyfriend's truck. You can see a guard outside your
door
> >> when you peep though the keyhole. The single window has iron bars over it. What do you do?
> >

> > "Psst.. Hey buddy, want a new truck?"
>
> Feck it. Offer him a bj and keep the truck ;)

Guessing that's what the toothpaste is for. ;^)

hey what are friends and acquaintances for?

I called a Dad of one of my kid's friends for some trail info He's new to town but has connections
and does a lot of riding. I jokingly mentioned the lock dilemma and he showed up with carbide bladed
reciprocal saw. Can't be without your bike can you? Of course, now I have to show him some of my
rides that he doesn't know... <g>

Penny