custom bike for my disproportional body?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Steepleboy04, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Steepleboy04

Steepleboy04 New Member

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new ride, road bike that is. I have never been fitted for a bike, except for a quick stand over type analysis. I ended up with a 62 specialized. That was 7 years ago. I stand almost 6'3, I weigh about 170, I have a short torso and long inseam and long arms. I run into the problem of finding a large enough frame for my height, but a shorter top tube for that doesn't give me the sensation of over extending my torso.

I am thinking of getting professional fit. Any suggestions? I've been told that I might need a custom bike by a couple folks. Anyone have any experience with this. My price range would be $3000 for a complete bike, but I'm not sure if this is a possible find.

Tags:

2. geo8rge

geo8rge New Member

Check sandsmachine.com for framebuilders. If I had a frame built, it would have S&S couplings.

You might also consider one of those old Schwinns, Peugeots ect. Some of those old frames were tall, but strangely short. For $3k you could jewel up a 70s Schwinn Paramount. Check out listings on craigslist.

3. RickF

RickF New Member

A custom fit, even if you end up buying a stock frame, is a good idea. You might find that a compact frame, like the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Pilot will end up working for you. These frames are designed to have a more upright position for the average body, but might be just what you need.

I doubt that WSD frames come in a size large enough for you, but for shorter folks with long legs and short torsos, they might be the answer. WSD frames have shorter effective top tube lengths for a given stand-over height compared to men's or unisex frames.

I have just the opposite problem - 6'0" with a 30" inseam. I know people who are 5'8" and have a 30" inseam. If I get a bike that is comfortable as far as the height goes, the reach is too short. If I extend the stem enough to make the reach comfortable, my weight is too far forward, and I am not satisfied with the stability of the ride. I have a custom fit session scheduled in a few weeks. We will see what happens.

4. RickF

RickF New Member

Another good suggestion. In most older frames, the only thing that changed as the size went up was the seat tube length. The top tube length was the same regardless of the size of the frame.

5. Steepleboy04

Steepleboy04 New Member

I just found a 1971 schwinn paramount 61cm. Not a bad deal. First I need to find out if this bike is tall enough from my 35" inseam. I haven't researched it yet, but I am going to try to find out the paramount's dimensions. Also, I wonder if current components will mount easily on this bike or not.

6. Steepleboy04

Steepleboy04 New Member

I also found a 1972, more than I'm willing to pay, but with these dimensions:

Measurements: 24” c-to-top seat tube, 23” c-to-c top tube, 25.5 c-to-c down tube, 41” c-to-c wheelbase