Custom bike geometry questions

Michael

Guest
I'm having a custom bike built and want opinions on some of the unusual aspects I'm having done
(especially as the custom geometry affects bike handling).

This will be a commuting bike, especially for wet weather and winter. A road bike is very important
to me, so don't even open a debate on the right kind of bike for commuting.

Personal requirements for the bike, in order of importance: 1) Road bike with traditional road
geometry (73/73 angles with short wheelbase
- not cyclocross, not touring) 2) Wet weather capable (disc brakes, fenders) 3) Versatile (rack
mounts, triple drivetrain). My biggest concern is bike handling - I love the quick and stable
handling of my current Cannondale road bike - I basically want that with disc brakes and fenders.

So... I'm having Litespeed build a custom Tuscany (comes with the same geometry as the Cannondale),
plus disc brake mounts, rack and fender mounts, non-integrated headset, and 135mm axle spacing (to
fit disc hubs).

Here are the open questions I want to resolve:

1) I could go with the standard Tuscany 57cm frame dimensions (56.5cm top tube length) since it's
close to my cannondale (58cm road frame with 58cm top tube) and I've ridden a stock one and like
it. Or I could go to the exact dimensions the fit kit suggests - 55cm frame with 58cm top tube,
but then there's some risk it'll feel different or handle differently. Opinions?

2) Litespeed says that to fit the fenders, the chainstays will have to be lengthened about 1 cm.
Would that affect handling? I don't like Cyclocross geometry because the bikes don't lean
into high speed turns as well as the road geometry (is that because of the longer wheelbase
or the slacker steering angle?) I still want this bike to take high speed turns as well as
the stock Tuscany.

3) I'll need an aftermarket or custom fork with disc mounts. The ones I've seen for 700c wheels have
a 45mm or 50mm rake compared to the stock 40mm rake of the Tuscany and my Cannondale. What
steering/handling impacts would that have?

If I get a custom fork built with 40mm rake, what would be the best material - ti (probably best
but most expensive?), steel (cheaper but heavier? though weight isn't really an issue for me),
carbon (can be done?)?

Thanks

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm having a custom bike built and want opinions

> This will be a commuting bike, especially for wet weather and winter.

> So... I'm having Litespeed build a custom Tuscany (comes with the same geometry as the
> Cannondale), plus disc brake mounts, rack and fender mounts, non-integrated headset, and 135mm
> axle spacing (to fit disc hubs).

This sounds kinda pricey for a wet weather commuter bike.

> Litespeed says that to fit the fenders, the chainstays will have to be lengthened about 1 cm.
> Would that affect handling? I don't like Cyclocross geometry because the bikes don't lean into
> high speed turns as well as the road geometry (is that because of the longer wheelbase or the
> slacker steering angle?) I still want this bike to take high speed turns as well as the stock
> Tuscany.

No problem. Did you ever see the chainstays on Jobst's bike? They must be over 45cm, and he leans
into turns quite well!

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps_Gallery/ti-
retest.jpg

Art Harris

> This sounds kinda pricey for a wet weather commuter bike.

Well, it's an "any-weather" commuting bike. Thus the disc brakes for rain and the road racing
geometry for going fast in nice weather.

Michael

I had similar ideas when I had my bike made up...

I ended up with wheels with ceramic rims, and ceramic brake pads. My braking is good, dry or
wet. The design of the bike is much more conventional since I use regular brake (albeit long
reach brakes, because of fenders). You get to use a conventional fork this way.

Longer chain stays are good for commuter/touring bikes. Your feet will not hit the panniers.

Watch out for fender clearances. Have the mfg put in attachment points for the fenders by
your bottom bracket and under your fork. This way your fenders will not vibrate as much.

Ted

news:[email protected]...

Ted Shwartz wrote:

> I ended up with wheels with ceramic rims, and ceramic brake pads. My braking is good, dry or wet.

How does a ceramic braking surface make for good braking? I know that ceramic have good wear
resistance, but how could that possibly improve braking over bare aluminum?