Custom build cranks???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zilla

I have an idea I want to try on cranks. Who can custom build them for me at a reasonable price?

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an idea I want to try on cranks. Who can custom build them for me at a reasonable price?

Depends on what your idea entails.

If it can be demonstrated with a cut crank there are plenty of machine shops who can write a CNC
routine for a crank.

If you want a good one you'll be stuck trying to get the attention of Shimano, Campagnolo and Sugino
who forge arms.

Perhaps CDI of Taiwan, who make midprice cranks for Bianchi and Santana among others. Their cranks
appear to be made in a pressure-molded aluminum process similar to SR-Sakae's "melt-forge" system.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have an idea I want to try on cranks. Who can custom build them for me at a reasonable price?

Depends on how "custom" they are and what you consider "reasonable". A well-equipped machine shop
should be able to make you anything you like.

Email me privately and I'll probably be able to tell you if it's been done before. No sense in
"reinventing the wheel".

Jeff

Feel free to email whoever (whomever?) you like, but I for one am curious about a new crank. Please
post it here, too.

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have an idea I want to try on cranks. Who can custom build them for me at a reasonable price?
>
> Depends on how "custom" they are and what you consider "reasonable". A well-equipped machine shop
> should be able to make you anything you like.
>
> Email me privately and I'll probably be able to tell you if it's been done before. No sense in
> "reinventing the wheel".
>
> Jeff

Boone Technologies made various custom cranks for a Velonews article several years ago.
Unfortunately, they are out of the bicycle business and now make titanium rings. If you contacted
them nicely, perhaps they would still make you a set. -Dion

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have an idea I want to try on cranks. Who can custom build them for me at a reasonable price?
>
> Depends on what your idea entails.
>
> If it can be demonstrated with a cut crank there are plenty of machine
shops
> who can write a CNC routine for a crank.
>
> If you want a good one you'll be stuck trying to get the attention of Shimano, Campagnolo and
> Sugino who forge arms.
>
> Perhaps CDI of Taiwan, who make midprice cranks for Bianchi and Santana among others. Their cranks
> appear to be made in a pressure-molded aluminum process similar to SR-Sakae's "melt-forge" system.
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.