Custom built or Factory

bobbyOCR

Aug 31, 2005
I appreciate opinions. Please no arguing.
If I was going to get a new set of wheels, should I go for a set of 28F/32R DT R1.1 with 240F and 340R hubs or a set of FSA, Rolf Prima or other factory built wheels?

Hand built wheels are better. They're stronger and last longer. I've bought factory, as it is cheap, and then had them rebuilt later. Time to first rebuild is always considerably shorter than the time between subsequent rebuilds, and always for multiple broken spokes, rare to get even one broken spoke to require a rebuild. That's been my experience.

For expensive wheels I buy them hand built. I reason thus: when spending so much why try and save just a little on factory build and risk having it taco on you?

Thanks. I think custom will be better too. More comfortable, stiffer and lighter rims. Also you know what you are getting.

Check this guy out. He makes really nice wheels using the DT swiss RR1.1 rims. And they will be much cheapier than getting them with the DT swiss hubs. He uses speedcific hubs, which are basically hubs that he orders custom from another company. The hubs are truly special. They make the wheelset that much better. Extremely easy to use to. You can open it up in about a minute for service.

Check his site out at www.oddsandendos.com

If you have questions just call him up. His name is Mike Garcia. Very nice guy to talk to. The wheels he made for me haven't had any problems.

free_rideman said:
Check this guy out. He makes really nice wheels using the DT swiss RR1.1 rims. And they will be much cheapier than getting them with the DT swiss hubs. He uses speedcific hubs, which are basically hubs that he orders custom from another company. The hubs are truly special. They make the wheelset that much better. Extremely easy to use to. You can open it up in about a minute for service.

Check his site out at www.oddsandendos.com

If you have questions just call him up. His name is Mike Garcia. Very nice guy to talk to. The wheels he made for me haven't had any problems.
Yeah, I had a look at those. They seem like excellent wheels. The problem is I live in Australia and postage + customs duty defeats the point. Also I don't get a proper warranty. This makes it cheaper (plus i work at a bike shop part time and I get a big discount) to get the DT hubs. Thanks anyway, If I was in USA, I'd go the oddsandendos too.

Opps. Didn't know.

But yes, making it yourself would be a lot easier and cheaper. Those will be some fine wheels!

bobbyOCR said:
If I was going to get a new set of wheels, should I go for a set of 28F/32R DT R1.1 with 240F and 340R hubs or a set of FSA, Rolf Prima or other factory built wheels?
If I couldnt get what I wanted, from Mavic, Fulcrum, Campy, Shimano, Easton, Zip, American Classic and many more, I just can't think of now, I would buy custom. But I weigh less than 140lbs and can buy light factory wheels without stressing them. Many of the heavy riders in my bike clubs, can only get bullit proof wheels by having them custom built. And they select a free hub that will take the torque they generate, when they get out of the saddle and sprint. I have a combined 50k miles on Michelin's top Kysriums, with very little problems. But if I was going to switch, I would take a close look at Easton, because there is no company I have a higher regard of.

bobbyOCR said:
Australia has one of the best rim maufacturers in the world: Velocity.
Depending on your weight and applications, Aerohead with OC in the rear up to Deep V will serve you well in rims.
Dura Ace hubs are hard to beat for quality, durability, and serviceability.
DT Revolution or Sapim Laser 14/17 DB spokes front and left rear with DT Competition or Sapim Race 14/15 DB right rear makes for a weight savings along with good durability.
The quality of the build makes a significant difference. If you are the builder, take your time to finish them with proper spoke alignment, tension balancing, and stress relieving.

I love Wheelsmith spokes.

Velocity rims are also nice.

And I wouldn't have anything to bad to say about Dura Ace hubs either.

As for factory built wheels, I am a just a bit too heavy for them. IMHO I think once someone is 170 and over (average rider not pro), than factory wheels aren't practical. Kind of taking chances there. But light riders can rejoice, since anything can work for them.

bobbyOCR said:
I wouldn't buy any wheels made by FSA...

There are only two valid reasons to buy a prebuilt boutique wheelset. The first is aerodynamics, and I mean real aero advantage. That requires a deep rim. The supposed aero effects of a 30mm rim over something like the 19mm deep Open Pro are almost neglible and are pretty much marketing B.S. The second reason is for weight. Most of the prebuilt stuff is not any lighter than a handbuilt set. If you want to pay the big bucks then you can get both aerodynamics and lightweight, but you won't get that from rip offs like a Kysrium.

Assuming that you know a good builder, get a pair of handbuilt wheels. They will be more durable, can be repaired easily when you crash, and are cheaper. What is more you can get a quality hub, like Campy Record or even Dura Ace if, God forbid, you swing that way. A lot of the prebuilt stuff use **** hubs, think American Classic or the continual problems Zipp has with the hubs they seem to source from a different supplier every year. With low spoke wheels you get the joy of breaking a spoke, getting stuck forty miles from home, and having your LBS tell you they have to ship the wheel back to the maunfacturer to be repaired.

Prebuilt wheels are a business marvel. The customer pays more money for an inferior product. If you want to step up to the plate and buy a set of Boras, or Reynolds Stratus DVs, or even Mavic Cosmic Carbones, then you can get a serious benefit for your money. The other stuff is sold for the way it looks, the bling factor.

daveornee said:
Depending on your weight and applications, Aerohead with OC in the rear up to Deep V will serve you well in rims.
The OC rear is great if you are using Campy because their hubs result in a greater dish that Shimano. The off center rim will decrease this a little.

lks said:
If I couldnt get what I wanted, from Mavic, Fulcrum, Campy, Shimano, Easton, Zip, American Classic and many more, I just can't think of now, I would buy custom. But I weigh less than 140lbs and can buy light factory wheels without stressing them. Many of the heavy riders in my bike clubs, can only get bullit proof wheels by having them custom built. And they select a free hub that will take the torque they generate, when they get out of the saddle and sprint. I have a combined 50k miles on Michelin's top Kysriums, with very little problems. But if I was going to switch, I would take a close look at Easton, because there is no company I have a higher regard of.
Fair enough. Easton seems like a great company with alot of experience. I would get mavic, though for the same price for an equivalent set, I can build up a set which wieghs less and has a more reputed hub. I have heard many good things about mavic though, apart from overpricedness.

Bro Deal said:
I wouldn't buy any wheels made by FSA...

There are only two valid reasons to buy a prebuilt boutique wheelset. The first is aerodynamics, and I mean real aero advantage. That requires a deep rim. The supposed aero effects of a 30mm rim over something like the 19mm deep Open Pro are almost neglible and are pretty much marketing B.S. The second reason is for weight. Most of the prebuilt stuff is not any lighter than a handbuilt set. If you want to pay the big bucks then you can get both aerodynamics and lightweight, but you won't get that from rip offs like a Kysrium.

Assuming that you know a good builder, get a pair of handbuilt wheels. They will be more durable, can be repaired easily when you crash, and are cheaper. What is more you can get a quality hub, like Campy Record or even Dura Ace if, God forbid, you swing that way. A lot of the prebuilt stuff use **** hubs, think American Classic or the continual problems Zipp has with the hubs they seem to source from a different supplier every year. With low spoke wheels you get the joy of breaking a spoke, getting stuck forty miles from home, and having your LBS tell you they have to ship the wheel back to the maunfacturer to be repaired.

Prebuilt wheels are a business marvel. The customer pays more money for an inferior product. If you want to step up to the plate and buy a set of Boras, or Reynolds Stratus DVs, or even Mavic Cosmic Carbones, then you can get a serious benefit for your money. The other stuff is sold for the way it looks, the bling factor.
I'm not really prepared to get a set of carbon tubs just yet. I agree with your view about the hubs. DT hubs have a great reputation for good bearings and durability. Also, I know EXACTLY what is going in to the wheelset.
With regards to comments above, I'm not a heavy rider at 140lbs, but the main factor is value. Prebuilt would be cheaper and easier to fix, and would make a strong, fairly light set of wheels with great hubs and a light rim.

bobbyOCR said:
I agree with your view about the hubs. DT hubs have a great reputation for good bearings and durability.
Campy and Shimano hubs have the best price for the performance; some might say they are the best period. DTs do have a good rep. So does Chris King and Mavic.