Custom Cassettes

rcrampton

Mar 17, 2005
I have a standard 8-speed Shimano 11-32 MTB cassette on my touring bike to get low gearing. Problem is I don't like the large steps between some cogs. I don't really ever need the 11-13 range. By the time I get there I'm coasting or braking :) I'd rather have a more compact cassette that's somethign like 14-32. My LBS mechanic told me I can't just go around and collect cogs I like and put them together into a cassette because I may not get good shifting. He said cassettes are very specific these days and are made to be left as-is.

Is this really true with Shimano? Is there another brand that's OK to do this with that would work without changing anything else?

I've slapped together custom cassettes (as have a few teammates) for years especially when doing extreme road hill climbs or TTs. Never encountered any shifting problems. Sometimes Shimano is at odds with what they say vs. reality. 8 speed mtb cassettes can be had pretty cheap. Just make sure you get ones that don't attach the cogs to a single carrier. Punch out the riverts and have fun.

My GF is like you dont like gaps!

I fitted an 8 speed Sunrace 11-24 and smaller chainrings, 28/38/48. I had the option of 24/34/42, but she likes this one. Shimano do 12-25 and 11-28 8 speed cassettes.

rcrampton said:
I have a standard 8-speed Shimano 11-32 MTB cassette on my touring bike to get low gearing. Problem is I don't like the large steps between some cogs. I don't really ever need the 11-13 range. By the time I get there I'm coasting or braking :) I'd rather have a more compact cassette that's somethign like 14-32. My LBS mechanic told me I can't just go around and collect cogs I like and put them together into a cassette because I may not get good shifting. He said cassettes are very specific these days and are made to be left as-is.

Is this really true with Shimano? Is there another brand that's OK to do this with that would work without changing anything else?
+1 with capwater. I know several riders who've swapped smaller cogs with no problems. Mavic might make Shimano-splined cassettes that start with 13 and 14 teeth. Shimano ought to make them too for their non-racing customers....which is probably 90% of us.

gclark8 said:
My GF is like you, dont like gaps!

I fitted an 8 speed Sunrace 11-24 and smaller chainrings, 28/38/48. I had the option of 24/34/42, but she likes this one. Shimano do 12-25 and 11-28 8 speed cassettes.
I checked in the book, 12-24 8 speed Sunrace is also available.

I know what you mean. I've got hard-to-find 12/32 cassettes on a couple of my bikes and I can't remember the last time that I used the 12.

The trick is that all of the cogs aren't exactly the same. First and sometimes second position cogs are made a little differently. Shimano does produce 13/26 8-speed cassettes, however, so you might be able to marry the 13 etc. with some combination of cogs from your 11/32 cassette and come closer to what you're looking for.