custom frame 52 seat/57 top

aspollock

Jan 17, 2004
Some Advice.

I started riding a year ago after a 40 year break (I'm 54). I got a steel cyclocross bike for navigating the potholed streets of San Francisco (bike-friendly if you don't count homocidal motorists). After a year, feeling that top tube was much too short (with a 12 cm stem). I got a fitting at a pro shop and was told that a 52 cm seat tube and 57 cm top tube was what I needed (legs too short but they do rach the ground).....clearly in custom frame geometry territory. Using the conventional formulas also suggests a 52 seat and at least 57 top tubes.

I'm looking for a road bike that fits. I ride 75 miles a week in the AMs before work, along the ocean-- (salt/sand etc), and it is often moist (between October and April) here.

I test rode several bikes including a stock steel Mondonico and a few stock SEVENs, expensive but felt great, as nice as the steel bike. Of course the stock bikes didn't fit correctly. I borrowed an Aluminium and Carbon bike from friends and did not like the feel.

Any suggestions for a frame that far from stock size? Is the (only slightly) higher cost of Ti for a custom frame worth it? Any suggstions for frame builders?

Sandy

I'm 49, been riding seriously for about 4 years. Am 5'3", with short legs, and have problems fitting me with stock bikes. Am getting a Seven titanium bike. The frame should arrive at the bike shop next week, and hopefully I'll be riding it in ?? two to three weeks. I'll let you know what I think :)

Originally posted by aspollock
Some Advice.

I started riding a year ago after a 40 year break (I'm 54). I got a steel cyclocross bike for navigating the potholed streets of San Francisco (bike-friendly if you don't count homocidal motorists). After a year, feeling that top tube was much too short (with a 12 cm stem). I got a fitting at a pro shop and was told that a 52 cm seat tube and 57 cm top tube was what I needed (legs too short but they do rach the ground).....clearly in custom frame geometry territory. Using the conventional formulas also suggests a 52 seat and at least 57 top tubes.

I'm looking for a road bike that fits. I ride 75 miles a week in the AMs before work, along the ocean-- (salt/sand etc), and it is often moist (between October and April) here.

I test rode several bikes including a stock steel Mondonico and a few stock SEVENs, expensive but felt great, as nice as the steel bike. Of course the stock bikes didn't fit correctly. I borrowed an Aluminium and Carbon bike from friends and did not like the feel.

Any suggestions for a frame that far from stock size? Is the (only slightly) higher cost of Ti for a custom frame worth it? Any suggstions for frame builders?

Sandy
Have you tried something like a Giant or other brand in compact road geometry? They are often the answer for very short of leg. Specialized makes a compact steel model, if you cannot deal with aluminum.

Originally posted by lesliegee
I'm 49, been riding seriously for about 4 years. Am 5'3", with short legs, and have problems fitting me with stock bikes. Am getting a Seven titanium bike. The frame should arrive at the bike shop next week, and hopefully I'll be riding it in ?? two to three weeks. I'll let you know what I think :)

Which frame model?

I'm eager to hear about this.