Custom frame 52 seat/57 top

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by aspollock, Mar 5, 2004.

1. aspollock

aspollock New Member

Some Advice.

I started riding a year ago after a 40 year break (I'm 54). I got a steel cyclocross bike for navigating the potholed streets of San Francisco (bike-friendly if you don't count homocidal motorists). After a year, feeling that top tube was much too short (with a 12 cm stem). I got a fitting at a pro shop and was told that a 52 cm seat tube and 57 cm top tube was what I needed (legs too short but they do rach the ground).....clearly in custom frame geometry territory. Using the conventional formulas also suggests a 52 seat and at least 57 top tubes.

I'm looking for a road bike that fits. I ride 75 miles a week in the AMs before work, along the ocean-- (salt/sand etc), and it is often moist (between October and April) here.

I test rode several bikes including a stock steel Mondonico and a few stock SEVENs, expensive but felt great, as nice as the steel bike. Of course the stock bikes didn't fit correctly. I borrowed an Aluminium and Carbon bike from friends and did not like the feel.

Any suggestions for a frame that far from stock size? Is the (only slightly) higher cost of Ti for a custom frame worth it? Any suggstions for frame builders?

Sandy

Tags:

2. dorian

dorian New Member

You can go custom with Seven, Independent Fabrication, Moots, Serotta, and at least some of the Lemond models. I don't know of any custom aluminum builders, but there's gotta be one or two. Steel may still be a viable option. Independent Fabrication seals all their tubes. Only the seat tube (at the top only), bottom bracket and head tube are not sealed. With a little extra care the frame should stay nice, but ti would be a lot easier to (not) deal with. With your measurements it sounds like you'll get a much better fit with a custom geometry which should also give you better handling and ride characteristics.

3. bike_wingnut

bike_wingnut New Member

I don't know your budget, but Dean makes a ti frame thats $1200 +$200 for custom. Also, all Waterford Steel frames are custom geometry - custom cost is built in. Litespeed charges $500 for custom above the cost of the bike. Moots is an additional $400. Try also Serotta. My guess is you'll want the ti if you're riding in wet and salty conditions.

4. pudster

pudster New Member

If you do not want to go custom you sound like a perfect size for a compact frame from a builder like Serrota or from Dean. You might want to take a look at them and see if you can fit to one.

5. Eidetic

Eidetic New Member

Ti is definitely closest to steel in feel. ditto the advantage of Ti in a beach or rainy environment.