custom frame fitting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jj, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Jj

    Jj Guest

    Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a rider and
    translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?

    I notice most if not all manufactures include their frame dimensions on their web sites. My idea is
    to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is available off
    the shelf.

    Tags:

  2. Many better shops can get you properly fit on a bike, and make recommendations for which will fit
    you best. In our case, there are some people who really aren't going to fit on a Klein (due to
    rather long top tubes) but fit perfectly on a TREK or even a LeMond (whose top tube isn't actually
    as long as people think, since some of the extra length is created by using a slack seat tube... put
    the seat forward where you might want it, and all of a sudden some of that length has disappeared).

    Measurements are a great place to start, but there's no substitute for actually riding a bike set up
    that way, and having someone observe you.

    "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a rider and
    > translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?
    >
    > I notice most if not all manufactures include their frame dimensions on their web sites. My idea
    > is to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is available
    > off the shelf.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Many better shops can get you properly fit on a bike, and make recommendations for which will fit
    > you best. In our case, there are some people who really aren't going to fit on a Klein (due to
    > rather long top tubes) but fit perfectly on a TREK or even a LeMond (whose top tube isn't actually
    > as long as people think, since some of the extra length is
    created
    > by using a slack seat tube... put the seat forward where you might want
    it,
    > and all of a sudden some of that length has disappeared).
    >
    > Measurements are a great place to start, but there's no substitute for actually riding a bike set
    > up that way, and having someone observe you.

    I'll ditto the personal touch fitting comment. When I worked at a shop, I could generally eyeball
    people to within .5cm or so of where the measurements said they were "supposed" to be. Made the
    customers that much happier with their new bike purchases.

    If you go look up Cyfac either by google, or thru their www.cyclingnews.com ad, it should have a
    page for fitting. www.russdennybicycles.com/ is someone to consider. He's built some awesome
    bikes for me.

    Eileen at [email protected] may be able to help out too. She's a cycling coach, and has fit many of
    the guys I used to ride with.

    Mike

    > "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a rider and
    > > translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?
    > >
    > > I notice most if not all manufactures include their frame dimensions on their web sites. My idea
    > > is to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is available
    > > off the shelf.

  4. > I'll ditto the personal touch fitting comment. When I worked at a shop, I could generally eyeball
    > people to within .5cm or so of where the measurements said they were "supposed" to be. Made the
    > customers that
    much
    > happier with their new bike purchases.

    Funny how, after a few thousand fittings, you get to the point where you can just look at someone
    and get a pretty good idea how they're going to end up being fit. Funny also how, after having done
    fits for many many years, you still learn things... like 10 or so years ago, when I recognized how
    important it was for me to be looking at their back as an indication of what was going on. Not the
    angle of the back, but if it was straight or arched.

  5. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

    "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a rider and
    > translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?
    >
    > I notice most if not all manufactures include their frame dimensions on their web sites. My idea
    > is to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is available
    > off the shelf.

  6. Derk Drukker

    Derk Drukker Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:46:50 +0100, JJ wrote:

    > Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a rider and
    > translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?
    http://www.bikefitting.com/

    Derk

  7. jimmy-<< Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a
    rider and translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?

    Few if any internet sources include femur length determination which is essential in determining
    the seat tube angle, one of the two(the other being top tube length) most important dimensions of
    any frameset.

    Inseam alone means little w/o finding seattube angle.

    << My idea is to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is
    available off the shelf.

    Go see somebody with a fit cycle and knowledge of bike fit-

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > Few if any internet sources include femur length determination which is essential in determining
    > the seat tube angle, one of the two(the other being top tube length) most important dimensions of
    > any frameset.

    While I agree that top tube length and seat tube angle are probably the most important (perhaps only
    really important) frame dimensions, I don't get the connection to femur length. It seems to me that
    the overriding variable is the desired angle of the back, which then determines the necessary combo
    of st angle and tt length to locate the hands (without weird stem lengths).

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > I'll ditto the personal touch fitting comment. When I worked at a shop,
    > > could generally eyeball people to within .5cm or so of where the measurements said they were
    > > "supposed" to be. Made the customers that
    > much
    > > happier with their new bike purchases.
    >
    > Funny how, after a few thousand fittings, you get to the point where you
    can
    > just look at someone and get a pretty good idea how they're going to end
    up
    > being fit. Funny also how, after having done fits for many many years,
    you
    > still learn things... like 10 or so years ago, when I recognized how important it was for me to be
    > looking at their back as an indication of
    what
    > was going on. Not the angle of the back, but if it was straight or
    arched.

    And knees rotating in that figure 8 arc to see if the saddle is the right height, or the hip bones
    moving around, or...

    I am one of those anal retentive bastards when it comes to bike fit so I'm constantly amazed that I
    see so many cyclists (and triathletes) that are so badly fit on their bikes. I have a friend that
    refuses to listen when I tell him he needs to adjust his position, and at the same time he wonders
    why he isn't getting any faster...

    Quickest way to get faster, have a bike that fits! I've seen friends fit by Eileen Olson gain 2-3mph
    just by moving their position around, getting to the most efficient spot for them.

    Mike

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > peter-<< I don't get the connection to femur length.

    I have a long torso, short legs. I know that I need a steep seat angle to get my legs over the BB,
    and a long TT to bring me to my optimum position. I have a custom 853 steel frame that has slacker
    angles than I can ride, so I'm too far back over the BB. TT is right, but the seat angle precludes
    me from riding it comfortably.

    > At the end of the femur is the knee which 'should' be in a proper place
    with
    > reference to the BB and crank arms.
    >
    > Long femur and some steep seat tube angles may not allow for the saddle to
    be
    > far enough back to get the knee in the proper place..opposite is also
    true.

    > << It seems to me that the overriding variable is the desired angle of the back, which then
    > determines the necessary combo of st angle and tt length to locate the hands (without weird stem
    > lengths).
    >
    > The angle of the back changs as you move the knee forward/back, via the
    saddle.
    > Altho the KOPS is a 'soft' constant, the place to start.

  11. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    I got myself measured by this system last spring. It basically confirmed what I thought I knew
    already but gave me the confidence to go with it. I set my bike up as close to the suggested
    measurements as I could (seat pin and bars up nearly 1cm)and it feels fantastic.My clubmates all
    started saying how good I looked on the bike... well gawsh. I am currently riding a 56cm c-c square
    but my next frame will be custom built 57cm seat tube 58cm top tube as per the measurements. Well
    worth the cash. All the best.

    Stan Cox

    news:p[email protected]...

  12. On 17 Mar 2003 13:30:04 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >jimmy-<< Would anyone know of an internet source which explains the procedure used to measure a
    >rider and translate those measurments into bicycle frame dimensions?
    >
    >Few if any internet sources include femur length determination which is essential in determining
    >the seat tube angle, one of the two(the other being top tube length) most important dimensions of
    >any frameset.
    >
    >Inseam alone means little w/o finding seattube angle.
    >

    ><< My idea is to discover what a custom frame would measure out to be and then compare to what is
    >available off the shelf.
    >
    >Go see somebody with a fit cycle and knowledge of bike fit-
    >

    >Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    >(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Can someone explain how to determine head and seattube angles on a given bicycle? I tried to use a
    protractor, pushed up against the frame but that was way too inaccurate. For most bikes with level
    top tubes, it would seem to be more accurate to measure the tubes and use trig. Would I form the
    main triangle by running a ruler from the seattube, past the head tube until it hits the point where
    the down tube theoretically passes the headtube and intersects the downtube? Or is there an easier
    and/or more accurate way?

    cv