custom frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    What is considered a reasonable amount of time to wait for a frame to be made. The builder will be
    local,within 1hr. away. Is 4 mo. too long or status quo. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What is considered a reasonable amount of time to wait for a frame to be made. The builder will be
    > local,within 1hr. away. Is 4 mo. too long or status quo. Thanks

    I think 4 months is a BIT longish, but not unheard of. If it's a good builder and he's close, it may
    be worth the wait. I think 4-6 weeks is pretty standard, but you have to remember, this is a one-man
    shop usually and it's not a production line. It's more of a craftsmanship thing. If things get busy
    he just doesn't hire more welders.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Max-<< What is considered a reasonable amount of time to wait for a frame to be made. The builder
    will be local,within 1hr. away. Is 4 mo. too long or status quo.

    There is no 'status quo' for a custom frameset. Mark Nobilette(our custom buiulder) delivers in
    about 6-8 weeks...

  4. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >What is considered a reasonable amount of time to wait for a frame to be made. The builder will be
    >local,within 1hr. away. Is 4 mo. too long or status quo.

    I think it depends a lot on the individual situation.

    Some of these guys are living hand-to-mouth. In cases like that if your frame is on the list of
    things to do tomorrow when a more remunerative project comes up I'd expect it to sink downwards on
    the list.... Sort of like the guy you hired to install new storm windows when some bigtime
    contractor needs men....your windows will wait.

    OTOH, some guy that's got his stuff together and has a fairly steady output I'd expect to be more
    predictable.
    PeteCresswell

  5. Bikefixr

    Bikefixr Guest

    Is 4 mos too long for a custom frame? If it's a GOOD frame, that's quite short, actually. Many top
    builders have waits that stretch well beyond a year, and for good reason. Quality is excellent and
    good things are worth waiting for.