Custom Habanero : Beer'Cross

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

  3. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Just a little tease until I get the rest of the pictures downloaded
    >>
    >> It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    >> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    >>

    >> Of course the most important feature of the bike:
    >> http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/beertool.jpg
    >>
    >> --
    >> John G drink, ride, repeat
    >>

    > The question remains, Custom or Customized?

    I don't know, is that a stock bottle opener or was it built to John's spec?

  4. x

    x Guest

  5. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    >

    > That's a *lot* of steering (head? dunno which is which) tube.
    >
    > How tall are you?

    6'3" but I have short legs, only a 33" inseam. Might say I'm "all torso". So to get a good fit I
    need a tall head-tube and a seriously sloped top tube for proper McNugget clearence. It's goofy
    looking but it works for me.

  6. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Just a little tease until I get the rest of the pictures downloaded
    > >
    > > It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    > >

    > > Of course the most important feature of the bike:
    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/beertool.jpg
    > >
    > > --
    > > John G drink, ride, repeat
    > >

    > The question remains, Custom or Customized?

    I've seen the drawings for it. There's no question about it being custom.

  7. Paul MacIntyre wrote:

    > I don't know, is that a stock bottle opener or was it built to John's spec?

    They are the same bottle openers as sold by DirtRag as seen in my prototype pictures:

    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/opener_top.jpg
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/opener_under.jpg

    Except I them un-embossed, directly from the manufacturer just for this purpose there were 4 titanum
    bottle openers in all... #1 was sacrificed in testing, #2 was welded to the frame, Mark kept one,
    and I have the other (I wear around my neck)

  8. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    > >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    >
    > That's a *lot* of steering (head? dunno which is which) tube.
    >
    > How tall are you?
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    Looks about right to me. When I do a custom frame, I want the head tube long enough so that with a
    couple of 5mm spacers, I wouldn't even need to cut the steerer tube on most forks. I'm 6' 5" with a
    35" inseam and I really like the 185mm headtubes on my 22.5" steel hardtails. In fact, I had just
    started talking to Mark Hickey about doing an MTB frame for me. But I want to wait to see what the
    neurosurgeon says about some things the radiologist found on a MRI I had done of my back after a
    recent ski accident.

  9. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >6'3" but I have short legs, only a 33" inseam. Might say I'm "all torso". So to get a good fit I
    >need a tall head-tube and a seriously sloped top tube for proper McNugget clearence. It's goofy
    >looking but it works for me.

    I had a frame made locally - was going to get SyCip's "Diesel", but thought I'd be being a jerk not
    to go to the guy around here. So far, it's an ongoing debacle. I've still got to ride the thing for
    a few hundred miles - but my expectation is that I'll cut my losses and just order another frame
    from somebody else.

    Habenero was on my short list, but then the local guy popped up. Checked with Hab again after the
    debacle part started to become obvious...but they don't do S&S couplings....

    My main reservation about dealing with somebody that'll never see me is the fit. (OTOH, it didn't
    work out all that wonderfully here, face-to-face...)...

    I'm guessing you've never been to Habenero, right? If so, how did the fitting process go? Seems like
    I heard you saying you had another frame from them. Is this one to correct something that went wrong
    on the first one?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  10. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Habenero was on my short list, but then the local guy popped up. Checked with Hab again after the
    > debacle part started to become obvious...but they don't do S&S couplings....

    Who can't? Mark or S&S?

    > My main reservation about dealing with somebody that'll never see me is the fit. (OTOH, it didn't
    > work out all that wonderfully here, face-to-face...)...

    I had my reservations as well but Mark got it right.

    > I'm guessing you've never been to Habenero, right?

    Never.

    > If so, how did the fitting process go?

    I measures certain specs on my previous bike, answered some questions about what I liked what I
    didn't what I wanted to change.... as well as my personal dimentions. He plugs it all into his brain
    does some clickety-click in CAD and <poof>

    > Seems like I heard you saying you had another frame from them.

    Yes the Mountian bike: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/poseur/current_HAB_07_21_01.jpg

    As an IceBike: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/icebike.jpg

    My wife got jealous and I had to get her one too:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/karen/karenhabdone.jpg

    So we actually have _3_ Habanero's.

    > Is this one to correct something that went wrong on the first one?

    Nope, this one is because the first one was so damned perfect.

    I really wanted a CycloCross/Roadie(freak)/touring bike bike.... so I had Mark make me one.. it's
    really all 3 in one, (and it's got enough clearence between the stays to mount a 2.3, 29" should I
    decide to go that route, one day ;-)

  11. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:02:48 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I had a frame made locally - was going to get SyCip's "Diesel", but thought I'd be being a jerk
    > not to go to the guy around here. So far, it's an ongoing debacle. I've still got to ride the
    > thing for a few hundred miles - but my expectation is that I'll cut my losses and just order
    > another frame from somebody else.
    >
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    Mmm... Sycip. Got one, liked it so much, got a second. Magic.

    Miles

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

  13. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Paul MacIntyre wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know, is that a stock bottle opener or was it built to John's spec?
    >
    > They are the same bottle openers as sold by DirtRag as seen in my prototype pictures:
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/opener_top.jpg
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/opener_under.jpg
    >

    > Except I them un-embossed, directly from the manufacturer just for this purpose there were 4
    > titanum bottle openers in all... #1 was sacrificed in testing, #2 was welded to the frame, Mark
    > kept one, and I have the other (I wear around my neck)

    Well it looks good. But the only problem I see is that you'll have to get off the bike to use it.
    This might be a design flaw depending on how you see it.

    Paul

  14. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    > I'm 6' 5" with a 35" inseam and I really like the 185mm headtubes on my 22.5" steel hardtails.
    Who does them for you?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  15. JD wrote:
    > ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Just a little tease until I get the rest of the pictures downloaded
    >>
    >>It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    >>

    >>Of course the most important feature of the bike:
    >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/beertool.jpg
    >

    > Huh? Is that a road bike?

    Perish the thought! I know it LOOKS like one with those slicks on it, but it realy is a CycloCross
    bike. Once the knobbies and dirt drop bar go on it'll be all okay.

  16. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  17. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > > I'm 6' 5" with a 35" inseam and I really like the 185mm headtubes on my 22.5" steel hardtails.
    > Who does them for you?

    Trek.

    Both my full rigid and my hardtail use Trek steel frames. Up until 1997 or so most of the major
    manufacturers made steel hardtails in that size with headtubes that long. When I bought my 1998
    Schwinn s20 FS (a 23" frame with a 190mm headtube), Schwinn also offered their Moab steel hardtail
    in the same size.

    Since these frames work well for me and I am very comfortable on them, I have no troubles using them
    as the basis for a custom one. Serotta would be my first choice for a custom steel MTB frame because
    my favorite LBS is a Serotta dealer. But I really want to do disc brakes on my next MTB and when Ben
    Serotta was at the shop recently, he told me they weren't offering disc mounts on their Odile steel
    hardtail. Serotta offers their CHT Ti hardtail with disc mounts but it's $2895 and for that kind of
    money, I decided I'd rather do a Habanero MTB and cross frame like John has done.

    One manufacturer I'd consider for steel frames is Curtlo. They're among the least expensive for
    custom steel frames and seem to have good experience with Clydesdales.

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:48:59 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just a little tease until I get the rest of the pictures downloaded
    >
    >It has the road tires on it right now for building purposes:
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/rolling_chassis.jpg
    >

    >Of course the most important feature of the bike:
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/CX/beertool.jpg

    V E R Y N I C E!!

    :-]