Custom Jamis Dakar or Diamondback from LBS?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Superslinky, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    I'm looking to get into an entry level FS bike. I can put together an all custom Jamis Dakar Expert
    based bike with most of the parts from JensonUSA, or something for about the same price from the
    LBS. One I was looking at was a Diamondback XSL Race. The custom Jamis would have hand picked and
    better parts, but the Diamondback might have a better frame (though I'm not sure about that) and I
    wouldn't have to build it and I would have the eternal gratitude of the LBS. The Jamis is only
    available in a 15" frame. Any opinions this choice or on how this frame would fit for a 5'8" guy?

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to get into an entry level FS bike. I can put together an all custom Jamis Dakar
    > Expert based bike with most of the parts from JensonUSA, or something for about the same price
    > from the LBS. One I was looking at was a Diamondback XSL Race. The custom Jamis would have hand
    > picked and better parts, but the Diamondback might have a better frame (though I'm not sure about
    > that) and I wouldn't have to build it and I would have the eternal gratitude of the LBS. The Jamis
    > is only available in a 15" frame. Any opinions this choice or on how this frame would fit for a
    > 5'8" guy?
    >
    > TIA

    Jamis is the better deal and the 15" may fit you but you should try one on for size first.

    I have the Dakar Comp and it rocks!

  3. TBF says:

    >I have the Dakar Comp and it rocks!

    You may want to check for play in the bushings, in that case ;-))

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to get into an entry level FS bike. I can put together an all custom Jamis Dakar
    > Expert based bike with most of the parts from JensonUSA, or something for about the same price
    > from the LBS. One I was looking at was a Diamondback XSL Race. The custom Jamis would have hand
    > picked and better parts, but the Diamondback might have a better frame (though I'm not sure about
    > that) and I wouldn't have to build it and I would have the eternal gratitude of the LBS. The Jamis
    > is only available in a 15" frame. Any opinions this choice or on how this frame would fit for a
    > 5'8" guy?
    >
    > TIA

    The Jamis is, from all reports, a real solid bike. However, I think you need to go with the
    Diamondback. Here's why:

    If you ride the Diamondback and don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

    If you mail-order a Jamis, and ride it, you can't mail it back. You'll lose money. There is a LOT
    more to fitting a bike than a company's seat tube measurement.

    If you buy the Diamondback, you will have not only the gratitude of the LBS, but their service,
    expertise, and friendship. Shop at the LBS, that's what they're there for. Most decent bike shops
    are in business to support biking...the money just helps. A mail-order Jamis comes with no support,
    indirect warranty assistance if needed, and there isn't anybody to call if something's screwed.
    Also, you don't get to make new friends.

    Have your LBS build up the Diamondback. When you go to pick it up, bring the wrench who did it a
    12-pack of decent, kinda dark beer. Ask him where the best places to ride are. They'll remember you
    forever and, in the long run, you're biking days will be much better.

    Chris

  5. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking to get into an entry level FS bike. I can put together an all custom Jamis Dakar
    > > Expert based bike with most of the parts from JensonUSA, or something for about the same price
    > > from the LBS. One I was looking at was a Diamondback XSL Race. The custom Jamis would have hand
    > > picked and better parts, but the Diamondback might have a better frame (though I'm not sure
    > > about that) and I wouldn't have to build it and I would have the eternal gratitude of the LBS.
    > > The Jamis is only available in a 15" frame. Any opinions this choice or on how this frame would
    > > fit for a 5'8" guy?
    > >
    > > TIA
    >
    > The Jamis is, from all reports, a real solid bike. However, I think you need to go with the
    > Diamondback. Here's why:
    >
    > If you ride the Diamondback and don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
    >
    > If you mail-order a Jamis, and ride it, you can't mail it back. You'll
    lose
    > money. There is a LOT more to fitting a bike than a company's seat tube measurement.
    >
    > If you buy the Diamondback, you will have not only the gratitude of the
    LBS,
    > but their service, expertise, and friendship. Shop at the LBS, that's
    what
    > they're there for. Most decent bike shops are in business to support biking...the money just
    > helps. A mail-order Jamis comes with no support, indirect warranty assistance if needed, and there
    > isn't anybody to call if something's screwed. Also, you don't get to make new friends.
    >
    > Have your LBS build up the Diamondback. When you go to pick it up, bring the wrench who did it a
    > 12-pack of decent, kinda dark beer. Ask him where the best places to ride are. They'll remember
    > you forever and, in the
    long
    > run, you're biking days will be much better.
    >
    > Chris

    I hear ya on the LBS relationship, but Jamis has been very helpful t me regarding the Dakar and they
    will support owners of their bikes with no hitches. Shopping at your LBS doesn't always mean good
    warranty service, if it's a small shop the still have to deal with the manufacturer on warrantee
    issues which could translate into weeks anyway.

    I say buy the frame online, and spec it out with parts from your LBS...and don't forget the 12 pack!

  6. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Chris said...

    > The Jamis is, from all reports, a real solid bike. However, I think you need to go with the
    > Diamondback. Here's why:
    >
    > If you ride the Diamondback and don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
    >
    > If you mail-order a Jamis, and ride it, you can't mail it back. You'll lose money. There is a LOT
    > more to fitting a bike than a company's seat tube measurement.
    >
    > If you buy the Diamondback, you will have not only the gratitude of the LBS, but their service,
    > expertise, and friendship. Shop at the LBS, that's what they're there for. Most decent bike shops
    > are in business to support biking...the money just helps. A mail-order Jamis comes with no
    > support, indirect warranty assistance if needed, and there isn't anybody to call if something's
    > screwed. Also, you don't get to make new friends.
    >
    > Have your LBS build up the Diamondback. When you go to pick it up, bring the wrench who did it a
    > 12-pack of decent, kinda dark beer. Ask him where the best places to ride are. They'll remember
    > you forever and, in the long run, you're biking days will be much better.

    I hear ya Chris. I know exactly what you are saying. The only problem is that the price differences
    between the LBS and online shopping are huge, especially if you add up a lot of small parts or buy a
    complete bike. None of my LBS carry much in the way of high end parts (although I can order most
    things) and I am very much leaning toward building a custom bike because I have yet to see any
    complete bike that doesn't have a bunch of parts that I don't want at nearly any price point. I
    guess I'm going to have to try to find a compromise between online shopping and the LBS. The LBS is
    the ONLY place to make new biking friends and you can't put a price on that. But the budget is
    limited and the level of bike I can get online compared to the LBS doesn't compare.

  7. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    ..::TBF::.. said...

    > I hear ya on the LBS relationship, but Jamis has been very helpful t me regarding the Dakar and
    > they will support owners of their bikes with no hitches. Shopping at your LBS doesn't always mean
    > good warranty service, if it's a small shop the still have to deal with the manufacturer on
    > warrantee issues which could translate into weeks anyway.
    >
    > I say buy the frame online, and spec it out with parts from your LBS...and don't forget the
    > 12 pack!

    Looks like I'm SOL on the Dakar Expert. Jenson evidently sold out of their entire stock of 9 frames
    in one day. Either that, or they didn't have as many as they thought. Looks like I'll have to go
    with something else.

  8. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "SuperSlinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..::TBF::.. said...
    >
    > > I hear ya on the LBS relationship, but Jamis has been very helpful t me regarding the Dakar and
    > > they will support owners of their bikes with no hitches. Shopping at your LBS doesn't always
    > > mean good warranty service,
    if
    > > it's a small shop the still have to deal with the manufacturer on
    warrantee
    > > issues which could translate into weeks anyway.
    > >
    > > I say buy the frame online, and spec it out with parts from your
    LBS...and
    > > don't forget the 12 pack!
    >
    > Looks like I'm SOL on the Dakar Expert. Jenson evidently sold out of their entire stock of 9
    > frames in one day. Either that, or they didn't have as many as they thought. Looks like I'll have
    > to go with something else.

    They get those frames pretty frequently dude. I aways see the Sport and Expert models on there. The
    sport isn't very different from the Expert BTW.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I hear ya Chris. I know exactly what you are saying. The only problem is that the price
    > differences between the LBS and online shopping are huge, especially if you add up a lot of small
    > parts or buy a complete bike. None of my LBS carry much in the way of high end parts (although I
    > can order most things) and I am very much leaning toward building a custom bike because I have yet
    > to see any complete bike that doesn't have a bunch of parts that I don't want at nearly any price
    > point. I guess I'm going to have to try to find a compromise between online shopping and the LBS.
    > The LBS is the ONLY place to make new biking friends and you can't put a price on that. But the
    > budget is limited and the level of bike I can get online compared to the LBS doesn't compare.

    You're exactly right...before I worked in a bike shop, about 75% of my parts purchases were online.
    My friends (now my bosses) at the LBS understood they couldn't approach the prices parts schleppers
    like PricePoint or Jenson can. Also, the Eastern Shore of Maryland is not exaclty a hotbed of atb
    activity, so our LBS' really don't carry much high-end kit either. I remember seeing a RaceFace
    Prodighy crank in a display case at one shop for $159. Ugh. And, you're right about the
    well-spec'd-complete-bike. Check with your LBS - see if they offer a build-kit discount. That is,
    specify all the parts you want, tell them they'd be building the bike, and see if they knock a
    hundred bucks or so (depending on quality/cost of parts) of the total. We build a lot of custom road
    bikes in our shop, and they almost all go out with Campy Record or Chorus groups, 'cuz we discount
    the parts when we build the bike - cuz then we get the maintenance, the upgrade parts, upgrade
    labor, etc. Your LBS should be willing to help you out. What parts are you looking for? Maybe my
    shop can sell you the kit cheap...maybe I can strip the hardtail I just built and sell you my parts
    cheaper :)

    Chris