Custom Made Saddle - Worth It?

regicide3342

Apr 19, 2015
So, Im looking to upgrade my two year old bike and I was wondering if it is worth it to invest into a custom made saddle. This one company makes them in any color you want for 50 dollars and from what I see their really good ones. What do you think, should I? Do you have any ideas of your own about a custom saddle?

"Worth it"? That's pretty subjective. If you have $50 and want a color match, why not?

I would be more concerned with fit and comfort than appearance, but if the color floats your boat...

Reactions: ABNPFDR
CAMPYBOB said:
I would be more concerned with fit and comfort than appearance, but if the color floats your boat...
To hell with color - I'd want to sit on it before I buy it. I don't care what it looks like, if it's not comfortable to sit on then it's like throwing money away.

Not that there is anything wrong with being aware of the cosmetics of the components on your bicycle ...

But, with regard to bicycle saddles ...

Comfort, first!

I'd not only want to sit on it, I'd want to ride it a few times. I know, generally, what shape and contour saddle my skinny ass prefers. But nothing beats a few hundred miles of tests. Some shops have demo saddles, or exchange programs, where you can return a new saddle within a set period.

Then again, $50 isn't much of a gamble, as saddle prices go. But cheap saddles can also surprise you in a pleasant way. I've been riding a $29 Specialized Riva now for three seasons. Every time I see the latest and greatest Prologo, Fizik, San Marco, etc I'm tempted to try one, but then I regain control of my senses. :D

"Then again, $50 isn't much of a gamble"

'Going Pro' has never been so cheap!

"I've been riding a $29 Specialized Riva now for three seasons."

That chump change Bontrasher that came on my Emonda was as comfy as my high zoot Flites. If it fits, you might as well go all fashonista and color coordinate your team sox to the bar tape to the cable housings to the toe clip straps...er...to the spoke nipples! Can't be seen clashing yo' colors as the bunch rides you out the back door.

Remember kids, look pro...ride pro!

I don't know if I'd consider being allowed to pick the color as enough to make it a "custom" saddle. The fit will be the same as all their "custom" saddles.

If I didn't have the skills to do it myself, I'd be more interested to have a saddle I've already picked re-skinned in a color of my choosing.