Custom Pedals?

"gerblefranklin" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'd love to have that stuff for more than just the pedal spindles. I
> somehow get the feeling that it'll be insane to machine, though, since
> it'll be stronger than my cutters on the lathe. Not to mention, if it's
> that exotic of an alloy, who's going to know how to heat treat it?

Carpenter Technology, maker of Aermet would know. I don't pretend to
understand the details, but I've copied a section of their online
literature below. If you're not scared away (and I would be), call
Specialty Alloys in Reading, PA for purchase information. Good luck!

Ken

Below is text copied from
[http://www.cartech.com/common/frame...leftn=sao_products&lefto=empty&lefti=sao_pl0]

Heat Treatment

Decarburization

Like other carbon bearing high strength alloys, AerMet 310 alloy is subject to decarburization during hardening. Heat treatment should take place in a neutral atmosphere furnace, salt bath or vacuum. Decarburization should be determined by comparing the surface and internal hardness of a small test cube for proper response. Metallographic determination of decarburization is not recommended for this alloy.

Normalizing

AerMet 310 alloy can be normalized by heating to 1775¡F (968¡C), holding for one hour and air cooling to room temperature. Optimum softening for machining is obtained by following the 1775¡F (968¡C) normalize with a 16 hour 1250¡F (677¡C) overage anneal.

Annealing

AerMet 310 alloy is softened by using a 1250¡F (677¡C) overage anneal for 16 hours. The optimum annealed hardness of 40 HRC maximum is obtained following this anneal.

Solution Treatment

The solution treatment temperature range is 1675¡F +/- 25¡F (913¡C +/- 14¡C) for 1 hour. The solution treatment temperature must be monitored by a thermocouple attached to the load.

Quenching

Water quenching is not recommended.

Proper quenching practice is essential for AerMet 310 alloy. The alloy should be cooled from the solution treatment temperature to 150¡F (66¡C) in 1 to 2 hours to develop optimum properties. Individual sections larger than 2" diameter or 1" thick (plate) must be quenched with oil in order to obtain 150¡F (66¡C) in 1 to 2 hours. Individual sections up to 2" diameter or 1" thick (plate) will air cool to 150¡F (66¡C) in 1 to 2 hours. The cooling rate of the furnace load must be monitored by a thermocouple attached to the hottest spot in the load to insure that the 2 hour cool to 150¡F (66¡C) is obtained.

Cold Treatment

Following cooling to room temperature, to obtain the full toughness capability, AerMet 310 alloy should be cooled to -100¡F (-73¡C) and held for 1 hour. The parts can then be air warmed.

Straightening

AerMet 310 alloy exhibits minimal size change during heat treatment; however, for some parts, mechanical straightening to compensate for distortion during heat treatment is appropriate.

Prior to straightening, a low temperature stress relief at 350/400¡F (177/204¡C) for 5 hours following the refrigeration operation will provide an optimal combination of ductility and yield strength for the mechanical straightening operation.

Age

The standard aging treatment for AerMet 310 alloy is 900¡F +/-10¡F (482¡C +/- 6¡C) for 3-8 hours. Parts made from AerMet 310 alloy should never be aged at a temperature below 875¡F (468¡C).

> [...]

Straightening

AerMet 310 alloy exhibits minimal size change during heat treatment; however, for some parts, mechanical straightening to compensate for distortion during heat treatment is appropriate.

Prior to straightening, a low temperature stress relief at 350/400¡F (177/204¡C) for 5 hours following the refrigeration operation will provide an optimal combination of ductility and yield strength for the mechanical straightening operation.

Age

The standard aging treatment for AerMet 310 alloy is 900¡F +/-10¡F (482¡C +/- 6¡C) for 3-8 hours. Parts made from AerMet 310 alloy should never be aged at a temperature below 875¡F (468¡C).

one reason steel's so popular for stuff like this is its fairly strong
and incredibly easy to work with. titanium is hard to work with as are
most alloys. aluminum is difficult but easier than titanium. the more
exotic the alloy the harder it's gonna be to work with.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

one reason steel's so popular for stuff like this is its fairly strong
and incredibly easy to work with. titanium is hard to work with as are
most alloys. aluminum is difficult but easier than titanium. the more
exotic the alloy the harder it's gonna be to work with.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Yeah, I looked the stuff up. Carpenter is the only producer of it,
possibly because it has only been invented in the last few years. I
found a few comparisons between aermet and Ti 6AL-4AV, and they are
quite close. AerMet is bit stronger than Ti, but it's also about 75%
denser. Ti will be easier to obtain, and I would assume easier to work,
not to mention it is far more corrosion resistant. So far it appears
that Ti is still superior.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

markf wrote:
> *one reason steel's so popular for stuff like this is its fairly
> strong and incredibly easy to work with. titanium is hard to work with
> as are most alloys. aluminum is difficult but easier than titanium.
> the more exotic the alloy the harder it's gonna be to work with. *

I've spent the past month machining nothing but aluminum. I would go so
far as to say that aluminum is as easy, if not easier to work than wood.
Seriously, when it comes to machining, aluminum is no sweat.

I have machined a bit of titanium before, and it's not easy, but it is
feasable when neccessary. I've heard that welding titanium is about as
easy as steel, and far easier than aluminum.

I am not designing this stuff around ease of fabrication, I'm designing
it to be the best it can be. That means that I look at the properties of
the materials and place them far higher in prioity then the workability
of them. It's only in extreme cases, such as aermet, where I would not
use the material because it's just not feasible to obtain and work with
it.

--

gerblefranklin wrote:
> *By that logic there shouldn't be any reason not to make a ful
> thickness ti pedal spindle. It would be far stronger and be of
> comparable weight. What made you think I'm designing my own pedals for
> weight savings? *

nothing made me think that. I said that's the way ti bike pedals are
deisgned. A custom Ti pedal, if made to the same dimensions as a steel
one, would be much stronger.

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184