Custom road frame WITHOUT CHROME? help select the colors please

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Pearlma

I've oredered a custom TOURING frame from Bob Jackson in England but have not yet selected the
paint. My inclination is to go against fashion and have the finish applied with NO CHROME. Already a
bargain, this will save more money. In addition, I hope to have a very subdued and tasteful paint
scheme which I can bang hell out of and still appreciate years from now as I plan to drag this bike
around the world on tours. I would appreciate comments and suggestions and ideas no matter how
unusual or arcane. The bike has curley seat and chain stays like Hetchins. It's called the"Legend."
So far all I can think of is gray as the dominant color with black to set off the curley stays.
Minimum of decals; perhaps only the makers crest on the head tube.

Has Bob Jackson paint durability improved dramatically over the years? If so, great, if not, then
I'd consider chrome-plating those areas that see a lot of wear & tear, such as chainstays and
fork tips.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've oredered a custom TOURING frame from Bob Jackson in England but have not yet selected the
> paint. My inclination is to go against fashion and have the finish applied with NO CHROME. Already
> a bargain, this will save more money. In addition, I hope to have a very subdued and tasteful
> paint scheme which I can bang hell out of and still appreciate years from now as I plan to drag
> this bike around the world on tours. I would appreciate comments and suggestions and ideas no
> matter how unusual or arcane. The bike has curley seat and chain stays like Hetchins. It's called
> the"Legend." So far all I can think of is gray as the dominant color with black to set off the
> curley stays. Minimum of decals; perhaps only the makers crest on the head tube.

Powdercoating it battleship gray may be the way to go. Much more durable.

Just my $.02.

Tim

[email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've oredered a custom TOURING frame from Bob Jackson in England but have not yet selected the
> paint. My inclination is to go against fashion and have the finish applied with NO CHROME. Already
> a bargain, this will save more money. In addition, I hope to have a very subdued and tasteful
> paint scheme which I can bang hell out of and still appreciate years from now as I plan to drag
> this bike around the world on tours. I would appreciate comments and suggestions and ideas no
> matter how unusual or arcane. The bike has curley seat and chain stays like Hetchins. It's called
> the"Legend." So far all I can think of is gray as the dominant color with black to set off the
> curley stays. Minimum of decals; perhaps only the makers crest on the head tube.
Get the dropouts plated, no paint can withstand scratching in that area. Regards, Michael Green.

> [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've oredered a custom TOURING frame from Bob Jackson in England but have not yet selected the
> > paint. My inclination is to go against fashion and have the finish applied with NO CHROME.
> > Already a bargain, this will save more money. In addition, I hope to have a very subdued and
> > tasteful paint scheme which I can bang hell out of and still appreciate years from now as I plan
> > to drag this bike around the world on tours. I would appreciate comments and suggestions and
> > ideas no matter how unusual or arcane. The bike has curley seat and chain stays like Hetchins.
> > It's called the"Legend." So far all I can think of is gray as the dominant color with black to
> > set off the curley stays. Minimum of decals; perhaps only the makers crest on the head tube.

"Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Get the dropouts plated, no paint can withstand scratching in that area.

And the advantage of chipped chrome over chipped paint is . . . what, exactly?
--
Andrew Muzi, who owns bikes with both chipped formats. http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day
since 1 April 1971

> And the advantage of chipped chrome over chipped paint is . . . what, exactly?

*If* it's done very well, it's simply less likely to chip or show signs of wear. And it's most
certainly more durable on a chainstay than paint. But if chrome plating isn't done well, it will
peel as badly as the worst paint job (and it's not too kind on very thin tubing either).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I've oredered a custom TOURING frame from Bob Jackson in England but have not yet selected the
> > > paint. My inclination is to go against fashion and have the finish applied with NO CHROME.
> > > Already a bargain, this will save more money. In addition, I hope to have a very subdued and
> > > tasteful paint scheme which I can bang hell out of and still appreciate years from now as I
> > > plan to drag this bike around the world on tours. I would appreciate comments and suggestions
> > > and ideas no matter how unusual or arcane. The bike has curley seat and chain stays like
> > > Hetchins. It's called the"Legend." So far all I can think of is gray as the dominant color
> > > with black to set off the curley stays. Minimum of decals; perhaps only the makers crest on
> > > the head tube.
>
>
> "Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Get the dropouts plated, no paint can withstand scratching in that area.
>
> And the advantage of chipped chrome over chipped paint is . . . what, exactly?
> --
> Andrew Muzi, who owns bikes with both chipped formats. http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day
> since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.