Custom road wheel upgrade when you in budget

hamkor

Oct 21, 2012
Hi
I need your advice and opinions guys
now couple of month thinking about new wheel set but unfortunately can't afford for nice ones (they are over £3-400 atleast)
Please could you share your custom wheel set "packages" spokes, hubs and rims

I have Giant Defy 3 2010 (i know it's pretty boring :) )
still have original wheels

I do 200km- per week, commuting, to uni and some time training
my weight 84kg
i newer broke any spokes
looking something rigid than my original ones,Lighter and of course cheaper up to £150= $250
as much as possible less and black spokes :) (compared to my defy 3 2010 original wheels)

Thanks

I don't know what wheels have, but what makes you think that you need stiffer wheels?

Giant Sport Road rim, Formula hubs/stainless spokes, 32H original wheels?

You might like a modest cost upgrade to Mavic Aksium wheels or a closeout priced Ksyrium wheelset. The Vuelta wheels also get very good reviews in the lower price bracket.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I don't know what wheels have, but what makes you think that you need stiffer wheels?
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I am not after any particular brand or model, any good brand as long as they do the job, (Mavic, shimano, compognola, bontrager or anything you got good experience )[/COLOR]

FWIW. It has been said often, and it is worth repeating ...

If you want another wheelset, then you are well off & sometimes better off with wheels made with standard hubs, rims, and spokes.

If you are on a budget, then it can be a DIY project -- the online information is plentiful, though sometimes confusing in how it is presented ...

Don't be in a hurry!

A tensiometer is useful, but not necessary.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

If you want another wheelset, then you are well off & sometimes better off with wheels made with standard hubs, rims, and spokes.
Even if you don't use them as a source, Excel sports out of Boulder has a great tool on their website that will allow you to calculate the weight of a set of handbuilts based on the desired selection of rims, hubs, and spokes.

If you are on a budget, then it can be a DIY project -- the online information is plentiful, though sometimes confusing in how it is presented ...

Don't be in a hurry!
You absolutely right, im kind a preparing to worst case scenario :) think that would be fun.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Giant Sport Road rim, Formula hubs/stainless spokes, 32H original wheels?

You might like a modest cost upgrade to Mavic Aksium wheels or a closeout priced Ksyrium wheelset. The Vuelta wheels also get very good reviews in the lower price bracket.
yes )) they are original but not sure what they call on the rim sticker says Giant DX something like that and soo many stainless spokes, hubs r plain black no branding or anything

very good expanses, thanks for that, to be honest i was checking them out for couple of weeks now, as thair price i though maybe there not worth to upgrade over my original ones, now i got the advice there will be no doubt. also there are some links, could you be able to help me choosing, some of them wheel set and others single wheels but considerable cheaper, if I could find another pair of it that would be very good bargain
Mavic Aksium
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Mavic+Aksium&SortBy=Price
Mavic Ksirium (they are bit price comparing to Aksium,)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Mavic+ksirium&BrandIDs=16,1399&CategoryIDs=828&SortBy=Price
seems Vuelta wheels very decent and good quality for their price, but don't think any Uk's good cycling shops have them

Don't be in a hurry!
You absolutely right, im kind a preparing to worst case scenario :) think that would be fun.

DanDare said:
I've been considering these too, from here: http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-scirroco-wheelset-2013.html It's these or the Zondas which are 170g lighter but maybe less stiff...
With either wheel stiffness won't really be a concern. Both come with great hubs and rims.

alienator said:
With either wheel stiffness won't really be a concern. Both come with great hubs and rims.
I currently weigh 87kgs so i did think the Sciroccos with the 35mm rim might suit the 'heavier rider' !?

Originally Posted by DanDare .

I currently weigh 87kgs so i did think the Sciroccos with the 35mm rim might suit the 'heavier rider' !?
I have the very wheels to which Alienator linked (Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs), and I weigh almost exactly what you do (185 lbs). I use 700x25 Conti Gatorskin tires and have not had a single flat nor have the wheels gone out of true in about 1700 miles of riding. I'm not pleasure-riding through the park on a Sunday afternoon, either.

currently 84kg, but planning down to 78kg,
but my original one, is bends or touches (don't know right word to say, sorry) to brake pads(during "aggressive ride" or cornering )

take it to the shop and make it straight (true the wheel), they do that by tightening or loosing the spokes, 10 usd. estimate depending where you live, they might also calibrate your brakes better like increasing their distance to the rims,