custom skewer length?

peter

Guest
The skewers used on rear wheels -- I may have another user for it, but I
need a longer one. Where can I get one that is about 9 inches long?

peter wrote:

> Where can I get one that is about 9 inches long?

Well, "peter"...

Bill "pick a punch line" S.

peter wrote:
> The skewers used on rear wheels -- I may have another user for it, but I
> need a longer one. Where can I get one that is about 9 inches long?

That is going to be tough. Even tandem rear wheels are not that wide.
You will probably have to find a way to replace the skewer rod with a
longer one. I haven't looked, but maybe some of them have a threaded
head end that attaches to the cam, rather than the cam being integral
with the rod itself.

--

David L. Johnson

It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
--Greg LeMond

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
> peter wrote:
>> The skewers used on rear wheels -- I may have another user for it, but I
>> need a longer one. Where can I get one that is about 9 inches long?

> That is going to be tough. Even tandem rear wheels are not that wide.
> You will probably have to find a way to replace the skewer rod with a
> longer one. I haven't looked, but maybe some of them have a threaded
> head end that attaches to the cam, rather than the cam being integral
> with the rod itself.

Yeah, that's pretty what I was thinking also. 200mm's is a *long*
skewer. I know there are 160mm tandem hubs that presumably have a 180mm
or so skewer. I'd honestly start looking for some CroMo rod stock and
go have someone thread it for you.

A better idea of your application might help. Alternately posting in
rb.tech instead.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Dijkstra probably hates me

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:27:24 -0800, Dane Buson wrote:

> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> peter wrote:
>>> The skewers used on rear wheels -- I may have another user for it, but I
>>> need a longer one. Where can I get one that is about 9 inches long?

>> That is going to be tough. Even tandem rear wheels are not that wide.
>> You will probably have to find a way to replace the skewer rod with a
>> longer one. I haven't looked, but maybe some of them have a threaded
>> head end that attaches to the cam, rather than the cam being integral
>> with the rod itself.

> Yeah, that's pretty what I was thinking also. 200mm's is a *long*
> skewer. I know there are 160mm tandem hubs that presumably have a 180mm
> or so skewer. I'd honestly start looking for some CroMo rod stock and
> go have someone thread it for you.
>
> A better idea of your application might help. Alternately posting in
> rb.tech instead.

You might try track bolts. It's easy enough to thread the insides of your axles,
if they're not threaded already. If you have to fabricate something, this
is probably the easiest.

Matt O.