custom titanium frames

Brink

Guest
I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.

1) What builders would you consider?

Thanks
----Brink

Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
>

> 1) What builders would you consider?
>

> Thanks
> ----Brink

I think Ti costs too much.

Tom (it had to be done)

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Brink <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> > custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> > considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> > crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
> >

> > 1) What builders would you consider?
> >

> > Thanks
> > ----Brink

> I think Ti costs too much.

Really, you could have Habanero make you a *custom* geometry ti frame for
$995. For more see here:

http://www.habcycles.com

Don't like chinese-made ti? Contact Nelson titanium bikes. Saw his frames at
today's T-Mobile International and although he's new, his 2.8lb road frames
start at $1200. For contact info, go here:

http://www.ntpbikes.com

Brink wrote:
> I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.

Go stock aluminum and save some money.

Bill "resist authority" S.

"Brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
>

> 1) What builders would you consider?
>

> Thanks
> ----Brink

I bought a Seven Axiom. Other top choices, Spectrum, Serotta, Moots. They
all will build a comparable frame. Expensive though. Habenero is a nice Ti
bike for the price if you don't mind a frame made in China from a company
owned by a raging neo-Con. I love Ti frames but readily admit they are not
what I would call a good value. If I were racing crits and had to have Ti I
would most likely get a Habenero as the others are too nice to crash on a
regular basis.

Tim McTeague

On 12 Sep 2004 18:33:12 -0700, [email protected] (Brink) wrote:

>I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
>custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
>considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
>crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.

Titanium's *far* to expensive.

Sodium's good and light (but don't ride it in the rain).

[email protected] (Brink) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
> 1) What builders would you consider?

I live in SE Pennsylvania, so Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum Cycles, was not
too far away. I thought it made sense to buy a custom frame from
someone I could actually talk to in person, and who could actually see
me and watch me on my then-current bike (on a trainer), rather than
deal with someone long-distance. I love my Spectrum: it feels good to
ride, it looks handsome, and Tom's design eliminated the two physical
problems I had on my old bike. Tom offers a blend of art, science,
technology, and craftsmanship.

See: http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.htm

I don't know where you are located, Brink, but the March day I picked
up my bike, a fellow from San Francisco was there to be fitted. --Roy
Zipris

Brink said...

> I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
>

> 1) What builders would you consider?
>

> Thanks
> ----Brink

Seven
Independent Fabrication
Titus

"Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I live in SE Pennsylvania, so Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum Cycles, was not
> too far away. I thought it made sense to buy a custom frame from
> someone I could actually talk to in person, and who could actually see
> me and watch me on my then-current bike (on a trainer), rather than
> deal with someone long-distance. I love my Spectrum: it feels good to
> ride, it looks handsome, and Tom's design eliminated the two physical
> problems I had on my old bike. Tom offers a blend of art, science,
> technology, and craftsmanship.

Oooh, Roy, you got a custom Ti bike?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

"Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I live in SE Pennsylvania, so Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum Cycles, was not
> too far away. I thought it made sense to buy a custom frame from
> someone I could actually talk to in person, and who could actually see
> me and watch me on my then-current bike (on a trainer), rather than
> deal with someone long-distance. I love my Spectrum: it feels good to
> ride, it looks handsome, and Tom's design eliminated the two physical
> problems I had on my old bike. Tom offers a blend of art, science,
> technology, and craftsmanship.

Oooh, Roy, you got a custom Ti bike?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

"Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I live in SE Pennsylvania, so Tom Kellogg, of Spectrum Cycles, was not
> too far away. I thought it made sense to buy a custom frame from
> someone I could actually talk to in person, and who could actually see
> me and watch me on my then-current bike (on a trainer), rather than
> deal with someone long-distance. I love my Spectrum: it feels good to
> ride, it looks handsome, and Tom's design eliminated the two physical
> problems I had on my old bike. Tom offers a blend of art, science,
> technology, and craftsmanship.

Oooh, Roy, you got a custom Ti bike?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Really, you could have Habanero make you a *custom* geometry ti frame
for
$995. For more see here:

Habanero only makes the 1 inch steerer and I want 1 1/8 inch. I have
had shimmy problems with my current 1 inch steerer. Therefore,
Habanero is out. Please do not address the shimmy problem.

I am considering Moots, Seven, Spectrum. Anything else in this class
to consider?

thanks
----Brink

Leaning toward Moots Vamoots road bike.

---Brink

Brink wrote:

> I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.
>

> 1) What builders would you consider?

Seven
Serotta
Independent Fabrications
Moots

Cheaper:

Habanero
Airborne

"Brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Really, you could have Habanero make you a *custom* geometry ti frame
> for
> $995. For more see here:
>
> Habanero only makes the 1 inch steerer and I want 1 1/8 inch. I have
> had shimmy problems with my current 1 inch steerer. Therefore,
> Habanero is out. Please do not address the shimmy problem.

OK, but is a 1 and 1/8" steerer going to address the shimmy problem?

Maybe you ought to read the Bicycle FAQ:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part4/section-23.html

"Muttley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 12 Sep 2004 18:33:12 -0700, [email protected] (Brink) wrote:
>
> >I am getting a custom titanium frame. I am a tall rider and need
> >custom sizing. Stock bikes are NOT an, option, and I am NOT
> >considering other frame materials. I mainly fast paceline and a few
> >crits. Please no side track discussion on the price. It is my money.

> Titanium's *far* to expensive.
>
> Sodium's good and light (but don't ride it in the rain).

lol, i'm partial to strontium myself...

"""""
x x

(~)