Custom?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly at
    those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it a
    "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be "customized",
    but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's off the rack, or
    part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom frame, as will Chris
    Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The cookie cutter
    companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes to regular joe
    is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad electronic BS on it.

    JD guffaw

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:

    Dear: [ ] Clueless Newbie [ ] Lamer [ ] Retard [ ] Me too'er [ ] Pervert [ ] Loser [ ] Spammer [ ]
    Nerd [ ] Elvis [ ] Fed [X] Freak [ ] Flamebait [ ] Other (please specify): _______________

    You Are Being Flamed Because: [ ] You sent me a stupid chain letter [ ] You posted a message
    concerning a pyramid scheme [ ] You posted a "test" in a news group other than alt.test [ ] You
    posted something asking for warez sites [ ] You quoted an ENTIRE post in your reply [ ] You
    continued a long, stupid thread [ ] You posted something completely off-topic [ ] You started an
    off-topic thread [ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message [ ] You said "me too" to something [ ] You
    don't know which group to post in [ ] You suck [ ] You brag about things that never happened [ ]
    Your sig/alias/server sucks [ ] You made up slang then used it in a message

    [ ] I don't like your tone of voice
    [X] I think you might be a fed

    To Repent, You Must:
    [Y] Shout "GO RIDE" a thousand times in a packed bus terminal
    [Z] "Upgrade" to Windows 98 [ ] Give up your E-mail account
    [Z] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it [ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor [
    ] Actually post something relevant [ ] Read the FAQ [ ] Be the guest of honor in alt.flame for a
    month [ ] Post your tests to alt.test [ ] Remove yourself from the net (you are hopeless) [ ]
    Remove yourself from existence (you are really hopeless)

    In Closing, I'd Like to Say: [ ] Blow me [ ] Get a life
    [Z] Never post again [ ] I pity your dog [ ] Go to hell [ ] Yer momma's so fat/stupid/ugly that
    etc.... [ ] Take your crap somewhere else [ ] Learn to post or get off [ ] Do us all a favor and
    jump into some industrial equipment [ ] See how far your tongue will fit into the electric
    outlet [ ] All of the above

    Sincerely,

    John Harlow

  3. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:16:49 GMT, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:

    (Snip custom made response)

    That was pretty damn funny......bu so many others woulda/coulda/shoulda been checked.

    Still funny as hell though.....

    Dave

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:
    >
    > Dear: [ ] Clueless Newbie [ ] Lamer [ ] Retard [ ] Me too'er [ ] Pervert [ ] Loser [ ] Spammer [ ]
    > Nerd [ ] Elvis [ ] Fed [X] Freak [ ] Flamebait [ ] Other (please specify): _______________
    <snip>
    > In Closing, I'd Like to Say: [ ] Blow me [ ] Get a life
    > [X] Never post again [ ] I pity your dog [ ] Go to hell [ ] Yer momma's so fat/stupid/ugly that
    > etc.... [ ] Take your crap somewhere else [ ] Learn to post or get off [ ] Do us all a favor
    > and jump into some industrial equipment [ ] See how far your tongue will fit into the electric
    > outlet [ ] All of the above
    >

    > Sincerely,
    >
    > John Harlow

    Thanks for the chuckle o' the day. Sometimes the simple things are the funniest.

    Westie

  5. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
    > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
    > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it
    > a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
    > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
    > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
    > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The
    > cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes
    > to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad
    > electronic BS on it.
    >
    > JD guffaw

    O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
    jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
    execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or customIZED?

    Shawn

  6. Shawn Curry wrote:

    > In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
    > > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
    > > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call
    > > it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
    > > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
    > > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
    > > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there.
    > > The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what
    > > goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest
    > > doodad electronic BS on it.
    > >
    > > JD guffaw
    >
    > O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
    > jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
    > execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or customIZED?
    >
    > Shawn

    I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.

  7. Shawn Curry wrote:
    > Was it custom or customIZED?
    >
    > Shawn

    Who cares... It was YOUR bike, did YOU like it?

    I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
    choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks. The same build, on a Seven frame built to the
    owner's measurements, is also a custom bike.

    If it's custom built for one rider, then sold to a different rider, is it still custom built? <G>

    words...

    Barry

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Shawn Curry wrote:
    >
    > > In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
    > > > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh
    > > > constantly at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter
    > > > frame and call it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a
    > > > joke. It may be "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain
    > > > and simple. If it's off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong
    > > > will make you a custom frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good
    > > > framebuilders that are out there. The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one
    > > > of their racers or a friend, but what goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe
    > > > does put XTR and all of the latest doodad electronic BS on it.
    > > >
    > > > JD guffaw
    > >
    > > O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
    > > jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
    > > execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or
    > > customIZED?
    > >
    > > Shawn
    >
    > I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.

    Hence, customized.

    JD

  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    >> Shawn Curry wrote:

    >> > O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand
    >> > painted jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome
    >> > IMO) execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or
    >> > customIZED?
    >> >
    >> > Shawn
    >>
    >> I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.
    >
    > Hence, customized.
    >
    > JD

    O.K. Nice customized bike, but I worried too much about the cool paint. Sold it and bought a bike I
    would be O.K. with if I broke it, which I did-like a twig-it was a Trek! Trek came through
    quickly though.

    Shawn

    Check out http://www.columbinecycle.com/ for serious, over the top (IMO) custom bikes.

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
    > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it
    > a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
    > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
    > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
    > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The
    > cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes
    > to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad
    > electronic BS on it.
    >
    > JD guffaw

    What if I put those little "dingle berries" down the top tube, velvet upholstery on the seat, a
    little chain steering wheel, and some mirrors? Now that would be a sweet custom ride!

    Matt (actually had a bid on a low-rider frame on eBay and got beat out by a couple of bucks!)

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
    > > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call
    > > it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
    > > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
    > > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
    > > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there.
    > > The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what
    > > goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest
    > > doodad electronic BS on it.
    > >
    > > JD guffaw
    >
    > What if I put those little "dingle berries" down the top tube, velvet upholstery on the seat, a
    > little chain steering wheel, and some mirrors? Now that would be a sweet custom ride!
    >
    > Matt (actually had a bid on a low-rider frame on eBay and got beat out by a couple of bucks!)

    Many lowrider frames are custom, made from bending them into some freaky shapes. The standard
    Sting-Ray cantilever frame used to be the weapon of choice, but it has evolved into much more.

    JD

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
    > choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks.

    You must care what I think Barry, otherwise you would not have added your inconsequential two cents.
    What you describe is customized, plain and simple.

    > The same build, on a Seven frame built to the owner's measurements, is also a > custom bike.

    A custom frame build makes a whole bike a custom. Without the custom frame, you can only have
    "customized" at best.

    You're only fooling yourself Barry.

    JD

  13. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com>
    wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
    > > choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks.
    >
    > You must care what I think Barry, otherwise you would not have added your inconsequential two
    > cents. What you describe is customized, plain and simple.
    >
    > > The same build, on a Seven frame built to the owner's measurements, is
    also a > custom bike.

    > A custom frame build makes a whole bike a custom. Without the custom frame, you can only have
    > "customized" at best.
    >
    > You're only fooling yourself Barry.
    >
    > JD

    the 60's are gone JD. Your the one fooling yourself. Time to cut the grease trap you all hair and
    get a proper job.

  14. Simon

    Simon Guest

    <snip the opinion>

    | JD guffaw
    Heres the real meaning of the word (below). Note the "made to order" meaning, hence any bike "made
    to order" is a custom. A custom car does not involve rebuilding the entire chassis! hehehehehehe

    Simon

    cusĀ·tom (kstm)
    n.A practice followed by people of a particular group or region. A habitual practice of a person: my
    custom of reading a little before sleep. See Synonyms at habit. Law A common tradition or usage so
    long established that it has the force or validity of law.

    Habitual patronage, as of a store. Habitual customers; patrons. customs Duties or taxes imposed on
    imported and, less commonly, exported goods. (used with a sing. verb) The governmental agency
    authorized to collect these duties. (used with a sing. verb) The procedure for inspecting goods and
    baggage entering a country. Tribute, service, or rent paid by a feudal tenant to a lord. adj. Made
    to order. Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor