Custom?!?!?

Jd

Guest
When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly at
those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it a
"custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be "customized",
but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's off the rack, or
part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom frame, as will Chris
Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The cookie cutter
companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes to regular joe
is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad electronic BS on it.

JD guffaw

JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:

Dear: [ ] Clueless Newbie [ ] Lamer [ ] Retard [ ] Me too'er [ ] Pervert [ ] Loser [ ] Spammer [ ]
Nerd [ ] Elvis [ ] Fed [X] Freak [ ] Flamebait [ ] Other (please specify): _______________

You Are Being Flamed Because: [ ] You sent me a stupid chain letter [ ] You posted a message
concerning a pyramid scheme [ ] You posted a "test" in a news group other than alt.test [ ] You
posted something asking for warez sites [ ] You quoted an ENTIRE post in your reply [ ] You
continued a long, stupid thread [ ] You posted something completely off-topic [ ] You started an
off-topic thread [ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message [ ] You said "me too" to something [ ] You
don't know which group to post in [ ] You suck [ ] You brag about things that never happened [ ]
Your sig/alias/server sucks [ ] You made up slang then used it in a message

[ ] I don't like your tone of voice
[X] I think you might be a fed

To Repent, You Must:
[Y] Shout "GO RIDE" a thousand times in a packed bus terminal
[Z] "Upgrade" to Windows 98 [ ] Give up your E-mail account
[Z] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it [ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor [
] Actually post something relevant [ ] Read the FAQ [ ] Be the guest of honor in alt.flame for a
month [ ] Post your tests to alt.test [ ] Remove yourself from the net (you are hopeless) [ ]
Remove yourself from existence (you are really hopeless)

In Closing, I'd Like to Say: [ ] Blow me [ ] Get a life
[Z] Never post again [ ] I pity your dog [ ] Go to hell [ ] Yer momma's so fat/stupid/ugly that
etc.... [ ] Take your **** somewhere else [ ] Learn to post or get off [ ] Do us all a favor and
jump into some industrial equipment [ ] See how far your tongue will fit into the electric
outlet [ ] All of the above

Sincerely,

John Harlow

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:16:49 GMT, "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:

(Snip custom made response)

That was pretty damn funny......bu so many others woulda/coulda/shoulda been checked.

Still funny as hell though.....

Dave

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:lYaca.71950$F1.2409@sccrnsc04...
> JD, Here's a "custom" message for you:
>
> Dear: [ ] Clueless Newbie [ ] Lamer [ ] Retard [ ] Me too'er [ ] Pervert [ ] Loser [ ] Spammer [ ]
> Nerd [ ] Elvis [ ] Fed [X] Freak [ ] Flamebait [ ] Other (please specify): _______________
<snip>
> In Closing, I'd Like to Say: [ ] Blow me [ ] Get a life
> [X] Never post again [ ] I pity your dog [ ] Go to hell [ ] Yer momma's so fat/stupid/ugly that
> etc.... [ ] Take your **** somewhere else [ ] Learn to post or get off [ ] Do us all a favor
> and jump into some industrial equipment [ ] See how far your tongue will fit into the electric
> outlet [ ] All of the above
>

> Sincerely,
>
> John Harlow

Thanks for the chuckle o' the day. Sometimes the simple things are the funniest.

Westie

In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
> When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
> at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it
> a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
> "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
> off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
> frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The
> cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes
> to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad
> electronic BS on it.
>
> JD guffaw

O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or customIZED?

Shawn

Shawn Curry wrote:

> In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
> > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
> > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call
> > it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
> > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
> > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
> > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there.
> > The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what
> > goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest
> > doodad electronic BS on it.
> >
> > JD guffaw
>
> O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
> jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
> execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or customIZED?
>
> Shawn

I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.

Shawn Curry wrote:
> Was it custom or customIZED?
>
> Shawn

Who cares... It was YOUR bike, did YOU like it?

I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks. The same build, on a Seven frame built to the
owner's measurements, is also a custom bike.

If it's custom built for one rider, then sold to a different rider, is it still custom built? <G>

words...

Barry

Eric Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Shawn Curry wrote:
>
> > In <[email protected]> JD wrote:
> > > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh
> > > constantly at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter
> > > frame and call it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a
> > > joke. It may be "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain
> > > and simple. If it's off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong
> > > will make you a custom frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good
> > > framebuilders that are out there. The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one
> > > of their racers or a friend, but what goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe
> > > does put XTR and all of the latest doodad electronic BS on it.
> > >
> > > JD guffaw
> >
> > O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand painted
> > jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome IMO)
> > execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or
> > customIZED?
> >
> > Shawn
>
> I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.

Hence, customized.

JD

>> Shawn Curry wrote:

>> > O.K. I'll bite. I had an otherwise stock Fat Chance ('88? '89?) that had a factory hand
>> > painted jigsaw puzzle pattern over the entire frame. My idea, Fat City painters (awesome
>> > IMO) execution. Chance eventually offered the pattern as an option. Was it custom or
>> > customIZED?
>> >
>> > Shawn
>>
>> I'd say custom paint on a stock bike.
>
> Hence, customized.
>
> JD

O.K. Nice customized bike, but I worried too much about the cool paint. Sold it and bought a bike I
would be O.K. with if I broke it, which I did-like a twig-it was a Trek! Trek came through
quickly though.

Shawn

Check out http://www.columbinecycle.com/ for serious, over the top (IMO) custom bikes.

> When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
> at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call it
> a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
> "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
> off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
> frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there. The
> cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what goes
> to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest doodad
> electronic BS on it.
>
> JD guffaw

What if I put those little "dingle berries" down the top tube, velvet upholstery on the seat, a
little chain steering wheel, and some mirrors? Now that would be a sweet custom ride!

Matt (actually had a bid on a low-rider frame on eBay and got beat out by a couple of bucks!)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > When it comes to bicycles, custom is well defined...unless you are an e-diot. I laugh constantly
> > at those who throw a few aftermarket parts or cheesy upgrades on a cookie cutter frame and call
> > it a "custom" (mtbretards is a great place to view this spectacle). What a joke. It may be
> > "customized", but it is not "custom". Custom bikes start at the frame, plain and simple. If it's
> > off the rack, or part of an assembly line, it's not custom. Carl Strong will make you a custom
> > frame, as will Chris Cocalis, Chet Peach or one of many good framebuilders that are out there.
> > The cookie cutter companies may make a custom bike for one of their racers or a friend, but what
> > goes to regular joe is not a custom, even if regular joe does put XTR and all of the latest
> > doodad electronic BS on it.
> >
> > JD guffaw
>
> What if I put those little "dingle berries" down the top tube, velvet upholstery on the seat, a
> little chain steering wheel, and some mirrors? Now that would be a sweet custom ride!
>
> Matt (actually had a bid on a low-rider frame on eBay and got beat out by a couple of bucks!)

Many lowrider frames are custom, made from bending them into some freaky shapes. The standard
Sting-Ray cantilever frame used to be the weapon of choice, but it has evolved into much more.

JD

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
> choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks.

You must care what I think Barry, otherwise you would not have added your inconsequential two cents.
What you describe is customized, plain and simple.

> The same build, on a Seven frame built to the owner's measurements, is also a > custom bike.

A custom frame build makes a whole bike a custom. Without the custom frame, you can only have
"customized" at best.

You're only fooling yourself Barry.

JD

> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com>
wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I would certainly call a stock frame, with every single part hand selected based on the owner's
> > choices, a custom bike, no matter what JD thinks.
>
> You must care what I think Barry, otherwise you would not have added your inconsequential two
> cents. What you describe is customized, plain and simple.
>
> > The same build, on a Seven frame built to the owner's measurements, is
also a > custom bike.

> A custom frame build makes a whole bike a custom. Without the custom frame, you can only have
> "customized" at best.
>
> You're only fooling yourself Barry.
>
> JD

the 60's are gone JD. Your the one fooling yourself. Time to cut the grease trap you all hair and
get a proper job.

<snip the opinion>

| JD guffaw
Heres the real meaning of the word (below). Note the "made to order" meaning, hence any bike "made
to order" is a custom. A custom car does not involve rebuilding the entire chassis! hehehehehehe

Simon

cus·tom (kstm)
n.A practice followed by people of a particular group or region. A habitual practice of a person: my
custom of reading a little before sleep. See Synonyms at habit. Law A common tradition or usage so
long established that it has the force or validity of law.

Habitual patronage, as of a store. Habitual customers; patrons. customs Duties or taxes imposed on
imported and, less commonly, exported goods. (used with a sing. verb) The governmental agency
authorized to collect these duties. (used with a sing. verb) The procedure for inspecting goods and
baggage entering a country. Tribute, service, or rent paid by a feudal tenant to a lord. adj. Made
to order. Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor