customized orthotics

djlance

May 17, 2005
i was wondering since i have customized orthotics from about 5 years ago, which are the best orthotics to by for cycling shoes. I got the orthotics when i was about 14 years old, since then i have grown and have lost over 80 pounds. I need new customized orthotics, and i was wondering which is the best company to order customized orthotic insoles from. ANY HELP WILL BE OF GREAT ASSISTANCE.

djlance said:
i was wondering since i have customized orthotics from about 5 years ago, which are the best orthotics to by for cycling shoes. I got the orthotics when i was about 14 years old, since then i have grown and have lost over 80 pounds. I need new customized orthotics, and i was wondering which is the best company to order customized orthotic insoles from. ANY HELP WILL BE OF GREAT ASSISTANCE.
I had my custom cycling insoles made at a ski shop. They were heat molded to my feet. A little expensive, but they've made a huge difference.

I've been wearing custom orthotics for the last 15 years or so. My podiatrist makes them for me. Unfortunately, they only run up as far as my arches, so they pretty much do nothing for me in my cycling shoes. What I've found very useful to supplement the orthotics in my cycling shoes is LeMond LeWedges, to provide the angular adjustment that the orthotics normally do. For my MTB shoes (SPD), I placed a washer under one sided of the cleat, and also trimmed some cheap insoles into a wedge-shape, to place under the normal insoles that came with the shoes.

If you are looking for custome orthotics you most likely need to see a doctor that specializes or that has knoweldge in foot mechanics and L. Extremity dysfunction. Your other option is to check a orthopedic facility that sells corrective shoes and talk to the Orthisis tech and you should be able to get some semi custome supports. This means that the support is fabricated to what is considered the ideal foot mechanics and 85 to 90% of the people will responde favorable to the correction.

Regarding friedmikey comments, that his arch support only supports or run as far as his arch and dont do anything for him in his cycling shoe is wrong. There is different styles of support full length and 3/4 length and the one he has is a 3/4 support, which supports the medial arch and the anterior transverse arch. Arch supports are most effective during weigth bearing activity, which in cycling will be when you are out of the saddle, of course if you are sitting and you are pushing to a certain degree while going up a hill your feet would benefit from the support and prevent the pronation of the foot when at the bottom portion of the pedal stroke. An arch support will always help to correct mechanics of the LE if you have been evaluated correctly and you actually need them. BTW, not all arch supports will fit all shoes, so that's were trying different styles come into play.

D2customfootwear.com sells custom orthotics for cycling shoes for $150. I just got some of their custom shoes and am kicking myself for not coughing up the money years ago. Made things better that I didn't even know were wrong.

dfvcad said:
Regarding friedmikey comments, that his arch support only supports or run as far as his arch and dont do anything for him in his cycling shoe is wrong....
... if you say so. Can you explain my mysterious new knee pain to me?

Dime store Dr. Scholls are a huge improvement over the ones that come std in my Sidis. Every so often I splurge and drop 5 bucks for a new set.

I am looking into D2 also, they are sending me the fit kit. I have a set made by another person, on the scan done by a chiropractor. They are a large improvement over what I had. I am hoping that the D2's will help that much more. I may end up getting custom shoes from them later.

Bruce

I've been using Footfitting insoles with great success. You can get info on 'em here. Their insoles are completely custom, and as opposed to other custom orthotics, they are shaped according to the unweighted shape of your sole. An air inlfated bladder is used to conform to the shape of your foot, and then a plane laser beam is scanned across your sole (inside the bladder) to map the topography of your sole. A few other measurements are done to find the tilt of your foot, rotation of your foot w.r.t. your body's midline....and so on. All of this data is then sent to the home facility where they CNC an insole for you.

Before getting these, I had uber foot issues, that were not resolved w/ insoles fit in ski shops, Superfeet, some blue insoles that were heated in my oven, and so on. The Footfitting insoles resolved everything. Cost is about $200, and it takes about a week to get the insoles.

alienator said:
I've been using Footfitting insoles with great success. You can get info on 'em here. Their insoles are completely custom, and as opposed to other custom orthotics, they are shaped according to the unweighted shape of your sole. An air inlfated bladder is used to conform to the shape of your foot, and then a plane laser beam is scanned across your sole (inside the bladder) to map the topography of your sole. A few other measurements are done to find the tilt of your foot, rotation of your foot w.r.t. your body's midline....and so on. All of this data is then sent to the home facility where they CNC an insole for you.

Before getting these, I had uber foot issues, that were not resolved w/ insoles fit in ski shops, Superfeet, some blue insoles that were heated in my oven, and so on. The Footfitting insoles resolved everything. Cost is about $200, and it takes about a week to get the insoles.
These would be nice, and I have checked into them. The only problem is they have to have you at one of there locations, and they are not widespread. I know that a few Pros use these, so there has got to be something to them. There are also some pros who use Rocket 7, and D2 footwear. I do not think anyone could go wrong by using any reputable shoe maker that specializes in cycling. I believe that many people do not think about the money spent on the bikes and components as opposed to spending it on a proffessional fit and custom shoes that address any problems. A proper fit on a sub par bike is better than a sub par fit on a super bike.