Customs Duties on Bikes

Timothy Smith

Guest
I'm thinking of buying an expensive bike in England later this year
(Thorn eXXp), riding around just a little bit to test it out (yeah,
December in England--I know, I've lived there then), then bringing it
back to CA with me.

I'll get a VAT exemption (17.4% in the UK now) when I return.

My question: I suppose I should declare it to US customs when I return,
but I suppose, if I were not honest, I could simply neglect to declare
it, and pretend that it's just my touring bike coming back with me.
Tempting..., but I probably won't.

Anyhow, does anyone have an idea what the customs duties would be? I've
just spent an hour on the web, trying to get that info, and have found
myself just lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. US
customs does not seem to have a web site that gives simple info like
this, or at least I haven't been able to find it.

Also, if anyone has any experiences with the eXXp, I'd like to hear
about them. I've read great things about the bike (as an off-road
"expedition" bike), but have not been able to ride one.

Timothy Smith wrote:
> [snip]
> Anyhow, does anyone have an idea what the customs duties would be? I've
> just spent an hour on the web, trying to get that info, and have found
> myself just lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. US
> customs does not seem to have a web site that gives simple info like
> this, or at least I haven't been able to find it.
>
> Also, if anyone has any experiences with the eXXp, I'd like to hear
> about them. I've read great things about the bike (as an off-road
> "expedition" bike), but have not been able to ride one.

I paid around $40 for a $500 Canadian bike I got via Ebay a while back.
I'd guess 10% Does the UK have any way of returning sales taxes to
tourists? If so, you'd probably end up even. If it were me, I wouldn't
declare it if I could get away with it.

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:42:06 -0700, Timothy Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying an expensive bike in England later this year
>(Thorn eXXp), riding around just a little bit to test it out (yeah,
>December in England--I know, I've lived there then), then bringing it
>back to CA with me.
>
>I'll get a VAT exemption (17.4% in the UK now) when I return.
>
>My question: I suppose I should declare it to US customs when I return,
>but I suppose, if I were not honest, I could simply neglect to declare
>it, and pretend that it's just my touring bike coming back with me.
>Tempting..., but I probably won't.
>
>Anyhow, does anyone have an idea what the customs duties would be? I've
>just spent an hour on the web, trying to get that info, and have found
>myself just lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. US
>customs does not seem to have a web site that gives simple info like
>this, or at least I haven't been able to find it.
>
>Also, if anyone has any experiences with the eXXp, I'd like to hear
>about them. I've read great things about the bike (as an off-road
>"expedition" bike), but have not been able to ride one.

My last Euro trip the bike (I brought with me from home) was not boxed
and I just rolled it through customs with nary a glance. I'm guessing
that it would be the first $800 is duty free and the next $1,000 at
3%.

These pages are instructive:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/duty_free.xml

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Timothy Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking of buying an expensive bike in England later this year
>(Thorn eXXp), riding around just a little bit to test it out (yeah,
>December in England--I know, I've lived there then), then bringing it
>back to CA with me.
>
>I'll get a VAT exemption (17.4% in the UK now) when I return.

Yep. You have to pick up some paperwork at the airport when you leave. Then
the dealer will later reimburse you.

>My question: I suppose I should declare it to US customs when I return,
>but I suppose, if I were not honest, I could simply neglect to declare
>it, and pretend that it's just my touring bike coming back with me.
>Tempting..., but I probably won't.

I brought to the US a bike from The Netherlands. I declared it. I think I
said $750. I was charged no duty. But maybe we are allowed $800 in
duty-free goods to bring back? I don't really pay attention, as usually the
only thing I buy and bring back are maps.

Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).

Classifying goods for importation is an art and a science. Even trained
professionals stumble. I haven't classified goods using the HTS for a few
years but at a glance I'd say the full duty rate is between 11% and 30% plus
some misc. fees, depending on the country of origin (where it was
MANUFACTURED, NOT WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT. If it's the UK, they're a
preferred trade partner so it's likely 11. If you don't present a reciept
for it, showing original purchase in the US, (or a document showing that you
had it with you when you left the county) when you enter the US you will
have to pay duties. If you want to know for sure, call a customs broker.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/ tells you about this in a
little more detail.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml explains how
much of the value is exempt before the full duty rate applies--this depends
on how much other stuff you bring back, also.

Chapter 8712 of the HTS http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm
applies to bicycles, the country clarifications for duty rates are in the
general rules of interpretation (a few thousand pages but the country info
is near the front).

You might not get noticed or you might not. When we returned home from
abroad on Sept 15, 2001 we told them we had a little more than the limit
allowed duty free and they waved us through. Usually they check receipts and
peruse the luggage and ask about value. I've also found that they don't want
to mess with too much detail sometimes and will give you a pass if you're
honest about it, at least charging you duty on the lower tariff items vs.
the leathers and fabrics. Depending on how many people are bringing bikes
into the country these days you may or may not get a pass or will be able to
"fudge" on the value. They might know--ouch, I just checked out the price
of the Thorn eXXp on line--they're quite proud of the little bugger, aren't
they. Whew...I'm not sure I'd try to sneak that one by...if they have an
internet connection and can google it while you're going through they'll
figure it out.

I'd think twice about trying to sneak by them to avoid duty payment--US
Customs is one of the few branches of government who actually make money
(largely from levying fines since duty rates on many items have been reduced
or eliminated to encourage world trade) and they carry guns--loaded guns.
No, they won't shoot you (unless you do something REALLY STUPID) but they
could make it a long and unpleasant and expensive experience.

I've just discovered from the trips that I have made back from the UK, that
honesty is the best policy. Sometimes I pay, sometimes I get a pass, but I
always sleep well.

Your call. Good luck and enjoy the little beast--looks wicked fun!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Timothy Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of buying an expensive bike in England later this year
>>(Thorn eXXp), riding around just a little bit to test it out (yeah,
>>December in England--I know, I've lived there then), then bringing it
>>back to CA with me.
>>
>>I'll get a VAT exemption (17.4% in the UK now) when I return.

> Yep. You have to pick up some paperwork at the airport when you leave.
> Then
> the dealer will later reimburse you.
>
>>My question: I suppose I should declare it to US customs when I return,
>>but I suppose, if I were not honest, I could simply neglect to declare
>>it, and pretend that it's just my touring bike coming back with me.
>>Tempting..., but I probably won't.

> I brought to the US a bike from The Netherlands. I declared it. I think I
> said $750. I was charged no duty. But maybe we are allowed $800 in
> duty-free goods to bring back? I don't really pay attention, as usually
> the
> only thing I buy and bring back are maps.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 04:15:48 GMT, "oldhickory" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Classifying goods for importation is an art and a science. Even trained
>professionals stumble. I haven't classified goods using the HTS for a few
>years but at a glance I'd say the full duty rate is between 11% and 30% plus
>some misc. fees, depending on the country of origin (where it was
>MANUFACTURED, NOT WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT. If it's the UK, they're a
>preferred trade partner so it's likely 11.

Wrong. There is an exemption on the first $800 and the balance is at
3%.

<Snipped>