Cut carbon bar?

GV27

Sep 9, 2004
Hey guys, tried searching for an answer and was surprised I couldn't find one........probably because it's a stupid, basic question. I actually used to know the answer to it....but times change.

Is is possible/advisable to cut a flat carbon MTB bar? If so, would I need to re-reenforce the ends to accept bar ends? I know it used to not be advisable, but I'm a bit of a weight weenie, plus the vibration damping, etc. so I'm hoping things have changed. I'm a small guy and like a narrow bar. I'm thinking of going an extra centimeter or two wider for my next set of bars - but what I use now is like 4 inches shorter than the carbon bars I'm finding!

Thanks,

Chris

I just cut a Easton Monkey lite Carbon raise bar. Not a big issue if you follow the directions, check the easton site. However I do not think I will use any bar ends, howevers they have some advise on such topic (depends on the alignment of the screws of the barends).

Check: http://www.eastonbike.com/TECH_FAQ/tech_techbull.html

R&D Q&A N5 - cutting carbon.

Jose

yeah well i read that when cutting carbon you need to use a VERY fine took cutting tool, and im assuming an electric cutter of some type with a fine blade should do it, but thats all i know

~Scott

Muddy Beast said:
yeah well i read that when cutting carbon you need to use a VERY fine took cutting tool, and im assuming an electric cutter of some type with a fine blade should do it, but thats all i know

~Scott
cut half way through one side then cut from the other side so the cuts meet in the middle. This is the best way to avoid damage according to what I've been told by a close friend and bike expert.
Its some weird thing with the weave in carbon apparently.

i used a pipe cutter and wrapped electric tape around the part i was cutting to avoid splintering while cutting. after the cut was finished i just took the tape off. worked like a charm.

cheapie said:
i used a pipe cutter and wrapped electric tape around the part i was cutting to avoid splintering while cutting. after the cut was finished i just took the tape off. worked like a charm.
To follow up, I just taped it and used a hacksaw with a fairly fine blade. Worked great. Easton EC70.