Cut new threads in an existing steel fork?

David Peake

Guest
I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
the steerer for proper installation.

Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
that I can install it on a small frame?

Thank you.

On Jun 26, 3:45 pm, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
> it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
> installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
> the steerer for proper installation.
>
> Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
> that I can install it on a small frame?
>
> Thank you.

I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

Chris

On Jun 26, 12:49 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:45 pm, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
> > it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
> > installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
> > the steerer for proper installation.

> > Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
> > that I can install it on a small frame?

> > Thank you.

> I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.
>
> Chris

Where? On the crown race?

Spacers won't help if you can't get the adjustable race threaded down
far enough.

To answer the OP's question, many shops will cut threads, but sone
will only do an inch or two, because if the steerer tube is butted,
you risk putting the stem into an area with the ID smaller or larger
than 22.2.

On Jun 26, 4:46 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 12:49 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 26, 3:45 pm, "David Peake" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've got a threaded Wound Up fork with a steel steerer. I'd like to install
> > > it on a slightly smaller frame than the one that it was originally
> > > installed, but the threading on the fork steerer does not go far enough down
> > > the steerer for proper installation.

> > > Is it possible to extend the threading slightly farther down the steerer so
> > > that I can install it on a small frame?

> > > Thank you.

> > I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

> > Chris

> Where? On the crown race?
>
> Spacers won't help if you can't get the adjustable race threaded down
> far enough.
>
> To answer the OP's question, many shops will cut threads, but sone
> will only do an inch or two, because if the steerer tube is butted,
> you risk putting the stem into an area with the ID smaller or larger
> than 22.2.

My bad. I was thinking of someone who had a big spacer between the
adjusting nut and lock nut so they didn't have to cut the steerer.
Please ignore my previous post.

Chris

Chris Nelson wrote:
> I've seen this problem solved with spacers before.

Not if the upper race won't contact the bearing when at the end of the
threads.

In theory, thread may be added. In practice, forks are pretty cheap by
comparison. Campagnolo type piloted fork dies will clear a damaged
thread but cut new thread poorly. Nice open American dies cut crisp
clean thread but drift as they are unpiloted. Achieving good thread on
center is tedious time-consuming work.

Some columns (Wound Up? don't know) have a rolled (raised) thread, hence
the stock is too small for a proper cut thread.

No snappy suggestions, sorry.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jun 27, 4:56 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
. Achieving good thread on
> center is tedious time-consuming work.

Still, a rewarding job to go through.

Sergio