Cut on tire

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
had a flat recently and discovered that there was a line cut on the tyre.. can the tyre still be used after changin the inner tube?

How big is the cut? It sounds as though it might be new tyre time.

In emergency situations it's fine to put a piece of old inner tube (or a folded bank note, or something similar) on the inside of the tyre, to plug the hole and ensure it doesn't mess up the inner tube.

That's more an emergency "limp home" type fix than a proper job though.

Hi Guys

If the cut has gone throught tp and damaged the casing of the tyre it is normally bye bye tyre and rather buy a new one. If the cut is superficial you noe\w need to ensure that a "direct hit" by a sharp stone or other object lurking in the road way do9es not penetrate and cuts the casing. I use Conti sport 2000 tyres on the tandem and have [reviously done the following:-

Make sure the cut is clean and dry. Deflate the tyre. Put some contact (Pratleys, Vasvat, Henkel etc) glue on the cut ensuring that it has a thin coat that penentrates all the way. Wait for the specified time or untill the glue is dry to touch. Squeeze the two halves together or use a vice grip or a clamp to lightly put pressure on the bond. Placing high stress on the sidewall can also destroy the tyre. Leave the tyre for the allotted time and allow the contact glue to cure properly. In all cases I did this the cut was very diificult to find after a few Kms on the tyre. Not sure that the tyre manufacturers will agree this is the correct way but it works for me!!!!

Keep those wheels spinning!!!

Bigh H

I once had a flat on a new michelin axial pro (less than 75 miles) caused by a piece of glass that went all the way through the rolling surface, and left an ugly gash. I was about 50 miles from the car, so I put a patch on the inside of the tire and replaced the tube. I'm still riding both, about 2000 miles later. under close examination, the tire looks ugly, but I still train on it.

there is a small hole on the inner part of the tyre ... what will happen if i were to just replace the inner tube and continue using the tyre without any patching?

I would presume the pressure on the inner tube will make the tyre bulge out at the location of the hole/damaged inner casing, and make it very susceptible to puncture.

I had a 28mm road tyre that was similarly damaged (well it wasn't worn straight through, but the inner casing was really damaged due to accidentally pumping it to ~150psi :eek: ) It had about a couple of lumpy bits corresponding to where the casing was stuffed.

Just not worth the risk.

Walk into any bike shop and ask them to repair a sidewall cut. You'll get the same reply.

Really fine tires are available for less than 30 bucks. Mid grades go on sale for 15 bucks.

If you want to enjoy yourself taking speed into turns, rather than fretting over potential tire failure, spend the bucks.

hmmm i just notice my present tire has a slit cut on it as well but so far hasnt give me any probs