Cut the cheese - cake [pic]

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    Here it is:
    http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg

    It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    became; very tasty.

    I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.

    I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    slices.

    We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    Dee Dee

    Tags:

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg

    <snip>

    > We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    > Dee Dee

    Looks good! I love cheese cake...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:16:33 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >Here it is:
    >http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    >It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >became; very tasty.

    That looks great!!!! Absolutely picture perfect. If I didn't know
    better, I would swear you bought it!!!
    Good job!

    Christine

  4. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    Beautiful! Very nice! I like cheesecake like this! Not very high, with no
    cream over!
    Cheers
    Pandora
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    > It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    > became; very tasty.

    > I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    > start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    > turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    > oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >
    > I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    > put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    > slices.
    >
    > We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    > Dee Dee

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    > It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    > became; very tasty.
    >
    > I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    > start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    > turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    > oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >
    > I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    > put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    > slices.
    >
    > We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    > Dee Dee

    Dee, that is really nice looking! I think it is time to get my feet wet
    and try making a baked cheesecake. Very nice job :)

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    > It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    > became; very tasty.
    >
    > I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    > start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    > turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    > oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >
    > I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    > put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    > slices.
    >
    > We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.

    Looks DE-lish... neatly sliced, plating is simple elegance... excellent
    presentation.

    Sheldon

  7. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >

    > We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    > Dee Dee

    Looks great Dee. It was most definitely not a failure ;)

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  8. On Sun 22 Jan 2006 09:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    > Here it is:
    > http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    > It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    > became; very tasty.

    Dee, it looks perfect! A complete success! BTW, in a 9-inch sprinkform
    pan, you need a recipe with 5 8-oz pkgs of cream cheese for it to be high.
    I posted one like that.

    How long did you end up leaving it in the oven to cool?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun 22 Jan 2006 09:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    > Randall?
    >
    >> Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >> Here it is:
    >> http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>
    >> It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >> became; very tasty.

    > Dee, it looks perfect! A complete success! BTW, in a 9-inch sprinkform
    > pan, you need a recipe with 5 8-oz pkgs of cream cheese for it to be high.
    > I posted one like that.
    >
    > How long did you end up leaving it in the oven to cool?
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

    Thanks for the cudos. I tried! Yes, I'm keeping your recipe for the 40 oz.
    Thank you.
    DH is planning dinner, keeping in mind MORE cheesecake.
    Dinner will be some sort of chicken breast curry recipe, he's searching the
    multitudes of recipes online. Basmati rice. Beet greens. Probably a TJ's
    unopened chutney - we'll have to hunt a bottle down here in what looks like
    a 1950's bomb shelter food storage area -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    >> Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >> Here it is:
    >> http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>
    >> It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >> became; very tasty.
    >>
    >> I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >> start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when
    >> I turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of
    >> the oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >>
    >> I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam
    >> and put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze
    >> a few slices.
    >>
    >> We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >> Dee Dee

    > Dee, that is really nice looking! I think it is time to get my feet wet
    > and try making a baked cheesecake. Very nice job :)

    Thanks, patches. With your cooking expertise and your great kitchen, you
    will make it look easy!

    I forgot to answer
    WAYNE: I left it in the oven 3 hours to cool. Then put foil over the top,
    leaving it in the bain marie pan (no water) and rushed it to the
    refrigerator.
    Dee Dee

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Christine Dabney" <[email protected]x.netcom.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:16:33 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >>Here it is:
    >>http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>
    >>It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >>became; very tasty.

    > That looks great!!!! Absolutely picture perfect. If I didn't know
    > better, I would swear you bought it!!!
    > Good job!
    >
    > Christine

    Honest to Pete -- you ALL are so wonderful!
    Dee Dee

  12. On Sun 22 Jan 2006 11:54:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Dee Randall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >>> Here it is:
    >>> http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>>
    >>> It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the
    >>> top became; very tasty.
    >>>
    >>> I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >>> start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But
    >>> when I turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left
    >>> side of the oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >>>
    >>> I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam
    >>> and put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I
    >>> froze a few slices.
    >>>
    >>> We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >>> Dee Dee

    >> Dee, that is really nice looking! I think it is time to get my feet
    >> wet and try making a baked cheesecake. Very nice job :)

    > Thanks, patches. With your cooking expertise and your great kitchen,
    > you will make it look easy!
    >
    > I forgot to answer
    > WAYNE: I left it in the oven 3 hours to cool. Then put foil over the
    > top, leaving it in the bain marie pan (no water) and rushed it to the
    > refrigerator.
    > Dee Dee

    Thanks, Dee!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  13. On Sun 22 Jan 2006 11:50:58a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun 22 Jan 2006 09:16:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >> Randall?
    >>
    >>> Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >>> Here it is:
    >>> http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>>
    >>> It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the
    >>> top became; very tasty.

    >> Dee, it looks perfect! A complete success! BTW, in a 9-inch
    >> sprinkform pan, you need a recipe with 5 8-oz pkgs of cream cheese for
    >> it to be high. I posted one like that.
    >>
    >> How long did you end up leaving it in the oven to cool?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

    > Thanks for the cudos. I tried! Yes, I'm keeping your recipe for the 40
    > oz. Thank you.
    > DH is planning dinner, keeping in mind MORE cheesecake.
    > Dinner will be some sort of chicken breast curry recipe, he's searching
    > the multitudes of recipes online. Basmati rice. Beet greens. Probably a
    > TJ's unopened chutney - we'll have to hunt a bottle down here in what
    > looks like a 1950's bomb shelter food storage area -- tee hee.
    > Dee Dee

    I haven't done a curry for a while, but I do have chicken thawing at the
    moment. Good idea!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  14. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Looks very professional! Yum!

    Bronnie

  15. I can taste that already.

    --Blair

  16. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >Here it is:
    >http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    >It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >became; very tasty.
    >
    >I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    >turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    >oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >
    >I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    >put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    >slices.
    >
    >We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >Dee Dee

    Looking GOOD..
    By the way... as for topping.. I found "Comstock" brand pie
    filling..
    After using google,, it appears to be available world wide..
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...coding=UTF8&n=3580501&s=gourmet-food&v=glance
    Or just google +comstock+blueberry+pie

    Yes guys and girls.. I know anything in a can is BAD...
    But I haven't tried to make pie filling yet.. maybe this summer..
    The blueberry is great on NY (plain) cheesecake!
    One can is just right for a 10 inch cake..
    Chuck (in SC)

  17. On Sun 22 Jan 2006 11:06:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?

    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:16:33 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >>Here it is:
    >>http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>
    >>It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the
    >>top became; very tasty.
    >>
    >>I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >>start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when
    >>I turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of
    >>the oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >>
    >>I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam
    >>and put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze
    >>a few slices.
    >>
    >>We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >>Dee Dee
    >>

    > Looking GOOD..
    > By the way... as for topping.. I found "Comstock" brand pie
    > filling..
    > After using google,, it appears to be available world wide..
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0004M0D6A/sr=1-10/qid=1137
    > 996092/ref=sr_1_10/002-3744216-3980812?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3580501&s=gourm
    > et-food&v=glance Or just google +comstock+blueberry+pie
    >
    > Yes guys and girls.. I know anything in a can is BAD...
    > But I haven't tried to make pie filling yet.. maybe this summer..
    > The blueberry is great on NY (plain) cheesecake!
    > One can is just right for a 10 inch cake..
    > Chuck (in SC)

    I've used it when I was in a hurry. It's a little bland for my taste, so I
    add about a half teaspoon almond extract and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon
    to the cherry filling, and just the cinnamon and a little grated lemon
    rind to the bluebery filling. Perks it up.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  18. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 07:12:29 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sun 22 Jan 2006 11:06:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Chuck?
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:16:33 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >>>Here it is:
    >>>http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >>>
    >>>It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the
    >>>top became; very tasty.
    >>>
    >>>I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >>>start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when
    >>>I turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of
    >>>the oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >>>
    >>>I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam
    >>>and put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze
    >>>a few slices.
    >>>
    >>>We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >>>Dee Dee
    >>>

    >> Looking GOOD..
    >> By the way... as for topping.. I found "Comstock" brand pie
    >> filling..
    >> After using google,, it appears to be available world wide..
    >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0004M0D6A/sr=1-10/qid=1137
    >> 996092/ref=sr_1_10/002-3744216-3980812?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3580501&s=gourm
    >> et-food&v=glance Or just google +comstock+blueberry+pie
    >>
    >> Yes guys and girls.. I know anything in a can is BAD...
    >> But I haven't tried to make pie filling yet.. maybe this summer..
    >> The blueberry is great on NY (plain) cheesecake!
    >> One can is just right for a 10 inch cake..
    >> Chuck (in SC)
    >>

    >I've used it when I was in a hurry. It's a little bland for my taste, so I
    >add about a half teaspoon almond extract and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon
    >to the cherry filling, and just the cinnamon and a little grated lemon
    >rind to the bluebery filling. Perks it up.

    Thanks.. The cinnamon and lemon rind sounds like it would be good in
    the blueberry.. which is my favorite..
    At some time I'd like to get a good recipe from you for home made
    blueberry topping.. Home made may be twice the price though than
    this.. (yes I'm a tightwad) I get this for about $3.30 a can..

    Here's my Current late night project..
    4 key lime cheesecakes in the 7 and 8 inch cake pans.. 2 of each..
    http://i1.tinypic.com/mh9jme.jpg

    I am getting plenty of help though..
    My supervisor
    http://i1.tinypic.com/mha52u.jpg
    Chuck (in SC)

  19. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Had a piece this morning of yesterday's efforts.
    >Here it is:
    >http://tinypic.com/mc91rd.jpg
    >
    >It was rather moist, not high. I liked the carmel-like glaze that the top
    >became; very tasty.
    >
    >I note that some one recipe posted called for 200 degrees, after a 350
    >start. One was 550? and then 200º. Mine was 400 and then 275. But when I
    >turned off the oven, I put in my new thermometer (on the left side of the
    >oven and not in the center) it registered 325º-350º.
    >
    >I had some German brand (not overly sweetened) blueberry preserves/jam and
    >put a dab of it on my plate after eating half of the slice. I froze a few
    >slices.
    >
    >We liked the taste and consider it not a failure.
    >Dee Dee

    That looks superb. I must have missed the earlier postings. Did you
    give the recipe, or did someone else?

    Kathy in NZ

  20. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > Thanks.. The cinnamon and lemon rind sounds like it would be good in
    > the blueberry.. which is my favorite..
    > At some time I'd like to get a good recipe from you for home made
    > blueberry topping.. Home made may be twice the price though than
    > this.. (yes I'm a tightwad) I get this for about $3.30 a can..

    I just puree a cup or so of fresh or frozen blueberries, put them in a
    pan, add a little white grape juice or water (enough to cover the
    bottom of the pan) a dash of lemon juice and salt (tiny amount), and
    about 2T of sugar - let simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring constantly
    (until sugar is melted), and then thicken with a little corn starch
    mixed in cold water. Cook on low, stirring, until thickened. Throw in
    another cup and a half of whole blueberries, stir well, and remove from
    the heat. Stir to combine. Set aside and cool - serve warm or
    chilled.
    -L.