Cut the Cheese!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by eddy long, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. eddy long

    eddy long Guest

    Greetings all,
    We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
    end of February.

    It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
    in saran wrap.

    Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
    whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.

    Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
    affected?

    Thank you!
    Eddy

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "eddy long" <[email protected]!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Greetings all,
    > We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at
    > the
    > end of February.
    >
    > It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is
    > wrapped
    > in saran wrap.
    >
    > Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount
    > of
    > whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
    >
    > Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
    > affected?

    Yes, for sure.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. cathy

    cathy Guest

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:32:06 -0500, "eddy long"
    <[email protected]!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
    >end of February.
    >
    >It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
    >in saran wrap.
    >
    >Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
    >whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
    >
    >Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
    >affected?
    >
    >Thank you!
    >Eddy

    White or blue mold is good. It's only if the mild is black or red that
    you should worry, and toss the affected product.
    Cathy

  4. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    eddy long wrote:

    > Greetings all,
    > We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
    > end of February.
    >
    > It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
    > in saran wrap.
    >
    > Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
    > whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
    >
    > Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
    > affected?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Eddy

    Since it is a natural cheese, any white (or blue) mould growing on it
    isn't harmful. Just cut off those parts and rewrap in clean paper.
    People have been doing this for thousands of years without harm.

  5. Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
    >Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
    >affected?

    Rather than take the risk, mail it to me...