Cut the Cheese!

eddy long

Guest
Greetings all,
We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
end of February.

It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
in saran wrap.

Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.

Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
affected?

Thank you!
Eddy

"eddy long" <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings all,
> We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at
> the
> end of February.
>
> It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is
> wrapped
> in saran wrap.
>
> Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount
> of
> whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
>
> Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
> affected?

Yes, for sure.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:32:06 -0500, "eddy long"
<eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
>end of February.
>
>It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
>in saran wrap.
>
>Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
>whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
>
>Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
>affected?
>
>Thank you!
>Eddy

White or blue mold is good. It's only if the mild is black or red that
you should worry, and toss the affected product.
Cathy

eddy long wrote:

> Greetings all,
> We have a block of Gruyere cheese from Switzerland that we purchased at the
> end of February.
>
> It has been in the fridge since then and has not been opened. It is wrapped
> in saran wrap.
>
> Are question is whether it is safe to eat because there is a small amount of
> whitish mold that has appeared on some of the sides of the block.
>
> Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
> affected?
>
> Thank you!
> Eddy

Since it is a natural cheese, any white (or blue) mould growing on it
isn't harmful. Just cut off those parts and rewrap in clean paper.
People have been doing this for thousands of years without harm.

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Is it safe to consume this cheese as long as we cut off the parts that are
>affected?

Rather than take the risk, mail it to me...